Patters

Non-video games

I play mostly D&D. I run D&D and some Warhammer Fantasy 1e oneshots. I'm thinking about running some stuff online via Google hangouts. I can ping anyone in if spots open up (but I've not formalized time). Would run something that's maybe closest to D&D and dark souls mashed together.

Here's my hacked up Moldvay Basic that I run in the fall/Halloween (or have three years now, though the first time it was in a somehwat different format) if anyone wants to try that out. http://gameswithothers.blogspot.com/2013/08/monsterparts-attribute-less-d.html

Here's what I'm working on right now. http://gameswithothers.blogspot.com/2014/08/in-limbo-d-little-bit-of-spelljammer.html

And yeah, 5e is good fun. 

I play mostly D&D. I run D&D and some Warhammer Fantasy 1e oneshots. I'm thinking about running some stuff online via Google hangouts. I can ping anyone in if spots open up (but I've not formalized time). Would run something that's maybe closest to D&D and dark souls mashed together.

Here's my hacked up Moldvay Basic that I run in the fall/Halloween (or have three years now, though the first time it was in a somehwat different format) if anyone wants to try that out. http://gameswithothers.blogspot.com/2013/08/monsterparts-attribute-less-d.html

Here's what I'm working on right now. http://gameswithothers.blogspot.com/2014/08/in-limbo-d-little-bit-of-spelljammer.html

And yeah, 5e is good fun.

Ah nice, will read through your stuff, feel free to ping me if you get something going.

If we have interest with Merus/pearceshe what time would you guys been keen on doing this?

God, WFRP is so good. I have nothing else to add, really.

I loved the way that the different classes chained together and how you could have a really bad roll and end up being a beggar or a rat catcher or something.

Okay, so I'm looking at good times to organise a game, but unless people can do Friday nights the scheduling might be too difficult.

What is Friday night in America Time. It's probably early Saturday morning, right? If I'm not getting directions mixed up? EDIT: I think I have the direction wrong. That'd be Thursday morning for me which yeah can't do.

Sorry I am talking Friday night in America time, which is Saturday morning for me. Saturday afternoon means all the Americans go to bed, and I don't want to step on my Sundays because I have another game I play then, and two games in a day seems like a bad idea and I need to leave another weekend free for visiting the parents once in a while.

Oh. Then yeah I can probably do Friday nights, at least for the foreseeable future. It's probably the worst night to commit to something, though. Unfortunately.

Yeah, but occasionally you get people who don't really do anything with Friday nights so it doesn't hurt to ask. I did kind of know going in that scheduling would be tricky, and if it doesn't work with me there's another GM that can step up.

I'm one of those people... usually. But sometimes not! Usually I know a couple weeks in advance though so not a big problem for me.

I'd be down for Friday nights if there was interest, especially  if we made it an every two weeks sort of thing so it isn't a big strain on Merus and doesn't eat every Friday night. I think the bi-weekly thing would help with player retention as well! 

Whatever ends up happening, I agree that not doing it every week is the best choice.

I've recently gotten back into Magic, the latest expansion Khans of Tarkir is really fun. I'm currently running a Mardu deck (Red, White Black). Plus I have found a group that plays fortnighly that are great to play with and not your stereotypical Magic players as  that is one of my least favourite things about the game.

I'd be interested in a Numenera game, if that happens. I picked up the core rulebook a few months ago, and found it quite interesting. Pretty much any time other than Wednesday night or Saturday afternoon (mountain time) are good for me. I'm also not that great at actual roleplaying, but if a party needs a bit of muscle, I'm usually good at that.

Sorry to be that guy but could the planning for setting up a time for the game go into it's own thread?

I've become obsessed with the Leader series from Dan Verssen Games. They're solitaire wargames, mostly focusing on air combat, and they're friggin' brilliant! There's an iPad version of Phantom Leader, which covers US air operations over Vietnam, and while it's a clunky app, the underlying game makes up for it.

I'm now getting ready to try Thunderbolt-Apache Leader (modern Close Air Support), but I also kinda want to get Hornet Leader, because it has a Lovecraftian expansion that involves dropping bombs on monsters. It sounded like a silly idea at first blush, but after reading some reviews, I'm totally sold.

It's hard to describe how these things work, because they have kind of a weird level of abstraction. You spend a lot of time choosing weapon loadouts, and then the actual resolution of a mission is very simple and straightforward. Going from mission to mission, pilot stress accumulates, and managing your people becomes tricky... they're your most precious resource, and you will get attached to them, like an X-COM squad. It's extremely tense, and the randomness of the dice element means you're always a breath away from everything going sideways (which is frustrating, but in an evocative way, and necessitated by the otherwise predictable nature of a solitaire game).

There's also U-Boat Leader and an ongoing kickstarter for Tiger Leader if you're less into airplanes. (Tiger Leader is sadly not about large cats.) 

The reason for my excitement is that I finally had a fairly successful campaign in Phantom Leader after a series of catastrophes. It takes a while to get the hang of things, but I hit that point where it all started to fall into place, and it felt great. 

Here are some links to people describing things better than I can:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/08/04/over-vietnam-phantom-leader-deluxe-will-almost-never-get-over-vietnam/

http://www.nohighscores.com/2013/11/08/hornet-leader-cthulhu-conflict-review/

http://lonelymeeple.com/review-thunderbolt-apache-leader-there-aint-no-warts-on-this-hog/

One last note: it's easy to incorporate another player or two in these things by sharing the planes around. They're designed for solo play, but can totally work with more.

Not board game news, but board game industry news: three months after acquiring Days of Wonder, French board game publisher Asmodee acquires Fantasy Flight Games. Three of the biggest publishers, all under one roof. The optimistic interpretation is that it'll give FFG products a better presence in Europe and fix Asmodee's production and distribution problems in the western hemisphere. The pessimistic interpretation is... well, what's the pessimistic interpretation of any amalgamation of capital on this scale?

Whoa, I hadn't realized that Asmodee acquired Days of Wonder too. That certainly is a lot of concentration. I guess they're like the European Hasbro now?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1447280164/in-a-world-of-dinosaurs-a-board-game-youll-totally

A friend of mine did a lot of artwork for this dinosaur board game which has a Kickstarter going right now. So I suppose I am throwing it in here. Should I put this somewhere else on the forum though? I don't know enough about board games.

38c99cf57f84a28c5a42fd71d6a2aa35_large.p

It involves dinosaurs!

You could also put it in the kickstarter thread! Or its own thread... But I know we all hate new threads around here!