80's Bad Guy

Wizaaaaaards!!

I didn't want to cast my "flash" spell because the bar was dark, and that was a particularly dark corner.

Driving today...then had to explain to the wife why taking a picture of a wizard van

Why would someone need extra explanation for taking a picture of a van with a wizard on it?

Texas wizard sighting. I don't know why this exists.

Are these the new Texas plates? I like them a lot more than the black-and-white ones with no graphics that I currently have.

No not at all, they look like this:

tx2011lighter.jpg

They are colorful like the previous NASA style ones but they are seven characters now so this person must have had this car for a while now. Looks like they bought this specialty plate to compensate for the lack of the availability of the letter 'A.' That means there must be a plate that just says "WIZARD" in Texas!

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears vanity plates in Texas are still usually six characters and that seven character ones only are available for a few weeks out of the year, since I guess they are still actively issuing the regular seven character ones right now, however that works.

Strange I hardly see those. I found an article saying you have to request that style, which is "classic," but it's a general plate so there's no charge. Not sure why someone would request that though.

A few years ago, Kansas let people vote on what the next tag design would be. It was shit like more wheat, the statehouse and a couple of other boring things. There was a small movement (which I supported) to put John Brown on the tag. Of course it went no where. I still dream of an alternate universe where there are millions of cars that all have John Brown's crazy face right in the middle of them.

Edited to add: John Brown is tiny photoshop away from being a wizard.

Last provincial election, a super-conservative and really shitty political party emerged in Alberta called the Wild Rose Party (the wild rose being the province's flower). This means that our newest license plate revision has resulted in a change of our decades-long slogan of "Wild Rose Country". Good job, politics.

I wonder how many state mottoes you could kill before someone got around to passing a law stopping you from using state mottoes as political party names?

Strange I hardly see those. I found an article saying you have to request that style, which is "classic," but it's a general plate so there's no charge. Not sure why someone would request that though.

Texas Classic is the new default plate and I personally think it's far more attractive. Clean and simple, and the white is a pearlescent, reflective material. I really dislike the look of the Texas sky color smear abomination.

Ah I see, nevermind. I guess the old one was retired at some point for readability and the classic ones stopped being a general issue request. I hardly see them on the road though.

EDIT: It looks like many counties are still issuing the old ones as is mandatory until the run out. Then they can do the new plates.

Honestly, I hate them, I know the full color plates are cheesy and waste tax money, but it hits a certain bit of nostalgia with me to see illustrated plates from all states. It's just a bit of fun. It sort of doesn't matter in Austin since everyone pays extra for those stupid college football plates anyway.

It varies wildly depending on where you're driving in Austin. I work way out west (620 & 2222) and my anecdotal evidence points to the number Texas Classic plates at somewhere above 80%. I also prefer the style with the stars and shuttle on it to the newer sky background.

Are you on Orcas Island in the Puget Sound? That looks familiar.

tumblr_ndhna0zILR1tlrio8o7_500.jpg

Courtesy of the greatest photoblog on the internet, the Internet K Hole.

We've made a terrible mistake regarding the appearance of wizards. We thought they looked like Harry Potter, but they're actually all Hagrids