Erkki

So.. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Erkki: This is how I played the challenges. And also the game itself, I guess.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhLV-3G3Vs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhLV-3G3Vs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks. I tried to emulate you and ended up doing a 60-something combo and getting three medals in the extreme sewer bat challenge. Also I found that I can do some of them (such as the sewer one) better in X-ray vision, maybe it's because I'm somewhat color blind, but on some levels I have a much better overview of the whole arena in detective mode.

Yay! 100% done. And only 3 achievements I haven't gotten. How does one get the Mano a mano achievement?

I believe you do it by taking out a Venom bad guy only with regular melee attacks, no Batarang.

i12an9S10gY

I thought I would post just for the future if someone has trouble maybe it will help out.

It sure helped, thanks.

Watching Hyetal's video, I really have to wonder why any hate was ever leveraged against the combat system of AA. I absolutely loved flowing from henchman to henchman and just hitting one, moving on, hitting the next. It's very much how I played Assassin's Creed 2 (what I played of it.) Move from one guy to the next, keeping them off balance and occasionally getting in an actual damage strike.

Yeah, it's a bit of a button-masher, but you don't have to play it that way, and in fact, playing it that way will lead to failure more often than success. Oh well, I guess more options never hurts. We'll have to see what AC brings.

Button mashing on either leads to failure, you're right. It's all about timing. Loved it personally. Was very happy to see same kind of system in AC:B - though I disliked Bayonetta's system eventually. That was button mashing. Also, because I'm getting a bit past it, my thumb joints ache if I really button mash now. :shifty:

It is about timing, but messing up the timing doesn't result in instant failure, it just means less awesome chain of attacks.

So I picked this up in the Steam sale and it's pretty damned sweet. No idea about what "upgrades" to get, but it's a very addictive and enjoyable game so far :tup:

As far as I remember, inverted takedown is the only upgrade that is an absolute must. Twin and triple batarangs are useful too as well as the armor upgrades. You can't really ruin your experience by picking up the wrong upgrades, which is cool.

It looks like if you play the game well enough you can unlock all of the upgrades anyway? Still loving just how slick this game is. It's feels like a great primer for the Batman canon. I'd never even heard of Bane or Harley Quinn before this, but now I feel I'm getting all the basic information I need to appreciate their characters.

A nice bonus!

One slightly annoying thing: You can't get all the Riddler things on your first time through a section, you've got to go back once you've unlocked new gadgets.

One slightly annoying thing: You can't get all the Riddler things on your first time through a section, you've got to go back once you've unlocked new gadgets.

aka a totally cool and fun thing, since there's actually a way of finding out where you're still missing stuff, unlike some other games that shall rename nameless, such as Shadow Complex and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

aka a totally cool and fun thing, since there's actually a way of finding out where you're still missing stuff, unlike some other games that shall rename nameless, such as Shadow Complex and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Haha. I guess so. Still I like to know I've "completed" a section before moving on... but you're right: It could be much worse!

It looks like if you play the game well enough you can unlock all of the upgrades anyway?

Yeah I'm relatively sure that by the end of the game I had all the upgrades. I certainly had all the upgrades I cared about. As Nappi said, get inverted takedown for sure, and anything else that looks like it actually creates new gameplay mechanics, and after that get whatever seems most useful.

Arkham Asylum is one of the few games where backtracking didn't bother me at all. The plot will have you visit many of the locations twice but it is all very well constructed and won't feel repetitive. There is no need to collect all the Riddler trophies unless you are obsessive about achievements or something. Some of the riddles are quite clever, though, and it was fun to try to crack them. Furthermore, the enemies don't respawn – at least as aggressively as in every other game – which was a very positive surprise for me.

Arkham Asylum is one of the few games where backtracking didn't bother me at all. The plot will have you visit many of the locations twice but it is all very well constructed and won't feel repetitive. There is no need to collect all the Riddler trophies unless you are obsessive about achievements or something. Some of the riddles are quite clever, though, and it was fun to try to crack them. Furthermore, the enemies don't respawn – at least as aggressively as in every other game – which was a very positive surprise for me.

I also greatly appreciated that they weren't missables, the fact that you could go back and track them all down at all.

I hate missables in open-ended environments, that's bad design, booo.