Erkki

So.. Batman: Arkham Asylum

What? How is this game like Bioshock at all? I guess they're both 3D.

They both drop audio logs on the players' face and feature a dude speaking to you over loudspeakers. :blink:

Also, Batman and BioShock both start with a 'B'. And they both have mutated humans, and scientists doing dangerous experiments. They both contain rooms with doors, and sometimes feature water, fire, and explosions.

I got Batman delivered to me almost a week ago, but haven't even installed it yet and don't really feel like starting playing. It was the same with BioShock, I think I played it a year or so after release.

They both drop audio logs on the players' face and feature a dude speaking to you over loudspeakers. :blink:

They're also both fairly dark-palette Unreal Engine 3 games, and both largely take place inside. They are are both structured in a fashion that is linear from a narrative perspective but which exists in an interconnected world in which the player can explore and backtrack.

"...but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?"

:mock:

This game is hands down a zenith of impressive design and concept and quality. It looks like an action game but feels so much like an adventure game with a tinge of RPG elements, and large dollop of dark, mature edge. This is the thinking person's action/adventure.

The stealth and gadgetry section feels a bit like Splinter Cell, the fisticuffs like a top notch brawler (don't let the simple controls fool you, it's more complex when you get into it), and the exploration and treasure hunt bits feel like a grand old adventure game.

There's a particularly wicked series of Riddler "puzzles" that involve gadgetry, brainwork, and properly shifted camera angles to "solve" that I found refreshing, partly because it seems impossible to do in 2D point-&-click. Good example of progressive thinking.

Apparently not only threads from elder days are being resurrected, but people too! Welcome back, Intrepid!

I enjoyed those question mark alignment puzzles too. It's so satisfying when you find the right spot to make them come together.

Huh, to my immense surprise, this actually runs pretty well on my computer. Maybe I'll buy it one day when it's cheap.

You should probably buy it at full price, seeing as it was so expensive to make.

Games reissued on budget labels might have a cheaper wholesale price, but the developer and publisher don't get less from a lower retail price on the original pressing, do they?

Played a bunch more last night, got the

batclaw

and chuckled to myself when Bats explained to Oracle

about the Arkham Batcave

, he really does think of everything!

The

Bane

fight was entertaining enough, a little more variety would've been nice though. I lost on my first try and was treated to a nice nod to the Batman fiction,

the Bane back break is one of those iconic images that really sticks with me.

Really enjoying the exploration aspect of things and the combat has really started to open up. Cycling though regular strikes while trying to get crits, stunning with the cape, reversals, quick batarang throws, it all feels really tight and...I dunno, smart, if that makes sense.

Looking forward to running into

Scarecrow

again, hoping that it retains a puzzle vibe versus just another combat situation.

(sorry, my post looks like a military document, I just don't want to ruin even the smallest thing for anyone who hasn't played yet...)