Erkki

So.. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Oh, Lord. Right after hearing about Jake, no Nick, being stuck on the Bane fight, I got to that part myself. I thought "well, if this turns out t--" and then I had completed it.

Oh, and the Scarecrow part was awesome. Even if the gameplay itself was really simple, the visuals were magnificent.

Yeah, that third Scarecrow bit was fucking unbelievable. Check it, 'blix.

Edited by miffy495

Okay, so there are three Scarecrow sequences? That would be totally awesome to know

after I had played through the game

Bah, I'm not telling you anything about what happens in them. I knew there were several and was still completely floored by what I saw. Also, note that saying there is a third is different from saying there are three. Hell, I still haven't finished the game myself. I dunno what the score is. Think on it.

I was talking to my cousin yesterday, who said he was at a certain point, and I said I was just before that. This dialogue came up:

Cousin: Aww, the scarecrow bits are awesome!

Me: Yeah, I've only seen two, if there are more coming up.

Cousin: Oh, yes. There's more.

Me: Good, please don't tell me about them, I liked being totally surprised [big ramble about how these parts were apparently part of the embargo for pre-release reviews]...

Cousin: Yeah, they're great. I love that bit when

huge fucking spoiler for the third one

Me: ...I've not done that bit.

Cousin: Oh.

I was talking to my cousin yesterday, who said he was at a certain point, and I said I was just before that. This dialogue came up:

Cousin: Aww, the scarecrow bits are awesome!

British people say "bits" instead of "parts".

British people say "bits" instead of "parts".

Thumbers say "scoops" instead of "bits".

I love /b/. For all the shit, gems like that are always around.

It's really rare for a demo to leave me craving more, also rare for me to buy boxed games, but I'm buying this tomorrow.

Hunting groups of people from gargoyles is fun. The game design does something the Thief games didn't quite manage, but which I always wanted from them. The mix of weakness in the face of direct conflict coupled with absolute sneaky badassery was the hairiest, most see-sawing aspect of the game balance in Thievery UT, and we tried all sorts of things to get it right. I think Arkham Asylum might have it

Edit: Scrobbs, that's hilarious :)

Hunting groups of people from gargoyles is fun. The game design does something the Thief games didn't quite manage, but which I always wanted from them. The mix of weakness in the face of direct conflict coupled with absolute sneaky badassery was the hairiest, most see-sawing aspect of the game balance in Thievery UT, and we tried all sorts of things to get it right. I think Arkham Asylum might have it

Edit: Scrobbs, that's hilarious :)

Do you mean that in Thief Garret wasn't as weak as he should have been, or could run away too easily? I guess I agree with that.

I'm honestly not sure how it would balance up in Thief - it was something we tried with multiplayer Thief mod Thievery UT and never quite managed. I think it's partly character: Garrett just doesn't have the agility that you do in Arkham Asylum, and that agility makes sneaking incredibly badass when compared to hiding somewhere and then tiptoeing out to hit someone on the head.

Yeah, I played Thievery for a while. I don't know, I personally never really missed being "badass" in Thief.

I did really enjoy TUT and the Thief games, but this just seems... better in some ways ;(

Oh man. Do I have cravings for EXTREME™ Thief? :getmecoat

Beat it last night, with all Riddler challenges complete. Going to probably be spending a bunch of time doing challenge rooms now, as the two that I've tried have been very fun. Beating up the thugs right before the boss fight was great, and actually allowed me to get a 60 hit combo, which was not something I expected in the least. Kickass brawl that was executed perfectly.

On that note though, what the hell was up with the final boss? If you've faced him, you know, so I won't go into spoilerific details. Seriously. THAT was the boss? After everything else up to that point being so damn good (I even enjoyed the Killer Croc bits that people seem to like bitching about) I thought they'd at least do something mildly interesting for the last fight in the game. Nope. Guess not. Gah.

I may start a new game on the next difficulty level sometime soon, just because I really did enjoy it a lot. Still, shame about the boss.

Oh, Lord. Right after hearing about Jake, no Nick, being stuck on the Bane fight, I got to that part myself. I thought "well, if this turns out t--" and then I had completed it.

Oh, and the Scarecrow part was awesome. Even if the gameplay itself was really simple, the visuals were magnificent.

What difficulty were you playing on? I had a bitch of a time with the Bane fight on hard, but it's my first time through..maybe I should have started on normal...

Also I chose the worst upgrades up to that point (stupid!) so I was stuck on the Bane fight from about 3am to 4am. It was that horrible time of night when I just get the logic and mechanics down and then keep completely forgetting both. Needless to say I felt like a champ once I finally beat him, but I'm kinda worried about the rest. I wanted to play more yesterday, but got sidetracked by Trials HD.

I'm playing on normal, which is pretty risky for me, since I hate a challenge.

So I was playing this very late last night, going round collecting riddler trophies, when I heard the radio in one location talking about how great Arkham Asylum (the place) was, and giving out a web address. That is ArkhamCare - a really nice little meta-site, showing how much effort has gone into this game.

There's some nice stuff surrounding employee login as well... :)

Went into a game store and since I couldn't find anything else interesting, thought I'd pick up Batman. Then I looked at the price: ~100$ USD*. Um... no thanks, I'll wait for the cheaper, better looking PC version (60$).

*actually, that's roughly the price of most new AAA Xbox 360 & PS3 games here, more often they're 80-90 though.