toblix

Shadow Complex

More like Shadow Awesome (it seems). When hearing this game I always thought it was the same game as Alpha Protocol, but I just figured out it's this nice XBLA platformer (thinking about it, didn't they talk about this in the podcast?). They're using words like Metroid something, which means nothing to me, but it seemed really fun. I also read that there are plenty of checkpoints, which is important to me. Look at this!

edit: It's running on the U3 engine, and it looks really nice and polished. I'm deffo getting this.

edit 2: HOLY SHIT this looks really cool and awesome! Everyone, look at the video now!

Agree that it looks very good indeed, the aiming especially was very impressive in that video. I'll be grabbing this one too.

edit:Its out August 19th! AWESOME!

Mmm, pretty weird, I just realized that 4 out of the 5 Summer of Arcade game are 2.5D game.

Mmm, pretty weird, I just realized that 4 out of the 5 Summer of Arcade game are 2.5D game.

But Shadow Complex is more like 2.84D

:getmecoat

Wow, that movie on GiantBomb got me a lot more interested in it. And it's out in 2 days? Awesome!

I know, if I didn't have any other choice I wouldn't have been able to wait!

had to stop watching that movie... way too many spoilers

can't wait to play it on the PC

can't wait to play it on the PC

Will there be a PC version, or are you being very subtly fatalistic and forlorn?

The only negative comment I've seen from anyone is Jeremy Parish, who said it's too much like super metroid. hah! That could never be a negative. I'm pretty excited.

Will there be a PC version, or are you being very subtly fatalistic and forlorn?

There seem to be references to a PC version scattered all over the internet, including in a few previews and things, but no indication of any release date.

They're using words like Metroid something

Metroid-vania, an IGN-worthy portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania :shifty:

Metroid-vania, an IGN-worthy portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania :shifty:

To me, that's like Earthworm Calibur. I know they're famous games people love, but I don't know that aspects they're referring to. Well, I know that Castlevania is mapped like a 2D grid, because I once bought a Castlevania game for the DS. And from the podcast I learned that in Metroid you open doors with missiles?

To me, that's like Earthworm Calibur. I know they're famous games people love, but I don't know that aspects they're referring to. Well, I know that Castlevania is mapped like a 2D grid, because I once bought a Castlevania game for the DS. And from the podcast I learned that in Metroid you open doors with missiles?

It refers specifically to the relatively nonlinear nature of those games, by which they usually take place entirely on one huge interconnected map (rather than a series of levels), where your access to new areas is limited not explicitly by goal completion, but rather by your lack of certain equipment or abilities that, when obtained, allows you to surpass physical obstacles.

It's the kind of thing where you might have seen a particular door a dozen times, but could never go through it until you found the missiles--but meanwhile you were exploring plenty of other stuff and achieving other goals.

In particular the Metroid games inspire people to "sequence break," which is to find ways to get to areas before they "should" be able to based on how much equipment or how many abilities they've found. I have no idea if Shadow Complex is designed in such a way that supports that, though.

so.. it's a bit like Crash Jackrabbit Country? Or more like Commander Viking Bros.

In particular the Metroid games inspire people to "sequence break," which is to find ways to get to areas before they "should" be able to based on how much equipment or how many abilities they've found.

So there are ways to cheat the system, without it being cheating? That sounds pretty cool.

So there are ways to cheat the system, without it being cheating? That sounds pretty cool.

It also gives birth to a fascinating speed-run subculture, with people exploiting the sequence breaks to not only complete it in the quickest time, but with the least amount of items found and locations explored.

So, as opposed to other speed-run-friendly games, where you'd have 'best time', or 'quickest 100%', you'd have this split for Super Metroid:

- Best time: Single-segment 0:32 by 悟 '蛍火' 鈴木 (Satoru 'Hotarubi' Suzuki) on 2006-08-09.

- Best 100% time: 0:55 by 'Red Scarlet' on 2004-06-04.

- Best 14% time: Single-segment 0:44 by 悟 '蛍火' 鈴木 (Satoru 'Hotarubi' Suzuki) on 2008-05-06.

Bonkers.

In particular the Metroid games inspire people to "sequence break," which is to find ways to get to areas before they "should" be able to based on how much equipment or how many abilities they've found. I have no idea if Shadow Complex is designed in such a way that supports that, though.

The leader boards for the game seem to indicate that yes, it is sequence breakable.

The leader boards for the game seem to indicate that yes, it is sequence breakable.

1200 points for an hour's gaming?!?! This is the biggest rip-off since Braid. 1.5/10

Although the article does say that they managed those times by just ploughing through the game on a second or third playthrough, knowing the direct route and having a fully levelled-up character carried over from the completed save file.

Which, frankly, is a pussy speedrun.

[Listen to me, like I care about such things. I just like speedruns as insane spectator sports (

and glitch-exploiting
ones are my favourites). Sorry for being douchey.]

I realize that this is a gaming forum and not a politics forum, but this game is based on the novel Empire written by the renowned homophobic shitbag Orson Scott Card. I'm curious whether other thumbers find that this poisons their perceptions of the game.

(I would have posted a separate thread for this but I apparently don't have that privilege yet)

Edited by ethanThomas

Its an interesting question, I guess as long as his political views are kept out of the game I wont have a problem playing it - its not like your character will be smashing through a grate to bust up a same sex marriage (at least I hope not)...

Yeah, I sort of expect the bad guy's plot to be turning all American men into Homosexual FAGGOTS by mixing chemicals in the water or something, but after watching the demo I don't mind if his crazy seeps into the story somewhere. It wasn't exactly the story (stumbling upon a hidden terrorist complex on the day that they are planning to LAUNCH AN ATTACK ON THE UNITED STATES!!!) that grabbed me in the first place.

I guess I wouldn't buy an adventure game or RPG written by him. It's sort of like buying a racing game by Hitler. Sure, he's crazy, but how much can he screw up racing?

I wasn't aware of Orson Scott Card's views, but it's obviously not a problem for the publishers, because they're using him quite visibly in their promotion for the game. So his writing reputation mustn't be too affected by his public opinions.

I guess I wouldn't buy an adventure game or RPG written by him. It's sort of like buying a racing game by Hitler. Sure, he's crazy, but how much can he screw up racing?

Hitler's Aryan Race: it blitzkrieged my house! - ign.com

That reminds me of a joke:

Q: Do you know the difference between Michael phelps and Hitler?

A: At least Michael Phelps could finish a race.

Does it occur to anyone else that Orson Scott Card is a really terrible name?