toblix

Rage

John Carmack is the wizard. It's amazing that he was able to make the engines for Keen, Doom and Quake more or less by himself. I'm really glad he didn't retire permanently after Doom III.

John Carmack is the wizard. It's amazing that he was able to make the engines for Keen, Doom and Quake more or less by himself. I'm really glad he didn't retire permanently after Doom III.

I find that statement disrespectful to the other engine programmers who played a vital part in the creation of those engines.

Edited by elmuerte

God man. I just started reading about Carmack's engine accomplishments on Wikipedia and I think it's fair to say no amount of awards would be appropriate for the ingenuity flowing through that fucker's veins.

I find that statement disrespectful to the other engine programmers who played a vital part in the creation of those engines.

What other developers? Carmack single-handedly coded every id software engine up to & including Quake2*. Quake 3 was also all him, apart from an AI programmer who did phenomenal work. Doom3 was a larger team (5-6 programmers), but Carmack still did most (if not all) the rendering work. I'm not sure what the team size for id tech 5 is, but you better believe that Carmack has touched more of that code than anyone else on the team.

(* It is worth noting though, that Carmack had another programmer write the mapping tools.)

Mo

UrtwJYuUI-0

Been cautiously interested in this game for a long time now, but it looks like it could turn out alright. I just hope Bethesda knows how to make a game that isn't Fallout 4, because I really dislike Fallout. Or Brink 2. *Shudder*

So enjoy this trailer, featuring Old Weathered Survivor #8378 and tough but attractive female sidekick #6474. Edited by Thompson

Nolan Godsdamned North everybody!

I may pick it up, but I've already spent a large amount of my gaming budget for coming days, and Skyrim just went up for pre-order. :violin:

I am more and more thinking about pre-ordering Rage.

Also I am more and more thinking about taking a week or two off in October when Rage is released. I still got my whole five weeks of vacation left because of the sick leave.

I just hope Bethesda knows how to make a game that isn't Fallout 4, because I really dislike Fallout. Or Brink 2. *Shudder*
Bethesda really has little to do with this. They merely purchased id, they didn't raze it to the ground just for the properties they may bring along. This was well in development when they were bought out. If anything, you should worry about the relative uninterestingness of Doom3, this game's predecessor.

4zgYG-_ha28

The talk starts out as a pretty technical look behind the scenes, but about an hour in he just drops all pretense and starts talking full blown about software development process.

lol... somehow I think at least 75% of the audience can't follow this keynote.

The first part was interesting when he was talking about Rage's technology. The last part I've heard (and complaint about myself) numerous times.

I like how John didn't name his "right hand man".

So, Rage will use just Steamworks on PC. That means there's no point in buying it straight from Steam with the 49,95€ price tag.

Amazon.co.uk is selling for 29€ and game.co.uk is selling some exclusive collector's pack for 37,50€ including shipping costs.

The thing I don't get about the collector's pack now that I was just about to pre-order it is what the pack includes. Two prequel comic books and a making of dvd. Well the comics are cool most likely and the dvd is always nice to have if it actually includes new stuff from behind the scenes and not just the promotional material clips they have posted on the internet in the past months.

BUT the pack has only two comics, the prequel comic is three comic books long? So why not include the third book that is coming out next week? What the hell? So collector's pack people don't see the conclusion of the prequel story?

52 days to go for Europe and 49 for USA. I would really like to know why these days still some releases come a few days apart in different continents? What is so difficult about releasing the product everywhere in the world at the same time?

How does the thing with Steam activation work, does anyone know? Can all games that are on Steam always be activated with the key, or is it only in special cases? If I buy a boxed copy of Rage, can I be sure I'll be able to activate the key on Steam?

Yes, you use the cd/dvd key that is in the Rage disc or manual and enter it to Steam. Then Steam will add the game to your game library.

I used this last with DNF. I bought the collector's box and just used the key in Steam and didn't have to use the discs at all other than to check the key code.

Only reason it would fail, would be if someone already opened your box and used the key on their own Steam. Then Steam would say that this key has already been used. This happened to me with an old used copy of Gunman Chronicles.

Sat down and watched the keynote. John Carmack is probably pretty far up there on my list of people that I'd like to be around. Just inhabit their existence for a couple hours. Other game developers that qualify for that for me would probably be Todd Howard and Ken Levine, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Cool people, good tech talk. :tup:

I love how everyone is hanging on his every word on there, and he's being a huge nerd talking about highly technical stuff on there, and he could probably make up half of it using bullshit words and non-existing technical terms, and nobody would know but him and a couple of Intel engineers.

52 days to go for Europe and 49 for USA. I would really like to know why these days still some releases come a few days apart in different continents? What is so difficult about releasing the product everywhere in the world at the same time?

I don't know if this is the reason, but generally games are released on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe. Personally I see releasing an entertainment product on a Friday as being more sensible, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like games three days earlier.

For Civilization V I actually used dodgy IP trickery to convince Steam I was in the US so that it would unlock the game on the Tuesday as I couldn't stand waiting.

For Civilization V I actually used dodgy IP trickery to convince Steam I was in the US so that it would unlock the game on the Tuesday as I couldn't stand waiting.

WaitwaitwaitWAIT. Does this mean that if I connect to Steam via my US VPN, it'll be all "Howdy pardner, lemme unlock all yer games hamburger baseball"? Is there a downside? TELL ME EVERYTHING.

WaitwaitwaitWAIT. Does this mean that if I connect to Steam via my US VPN, it'll be all "Howdy pardner, lemme unlock all yer games hamburger baseball"? Is there a downside? TELL ME EVERYTHING.

I can't remember all the specifics, but I think this is what I did: I bought the game on my account but from the US Steam store (on the website you can just change the region, if I remember rightly). I then used a VPN to spoof my IP as being from the US, and I changed the content server in Steam to be one in the US as well. After that I downloaded the game, unlocked it and then I believe it worked for as long as I was either still in the VPN or if I switched to offline mode. Even though it's been unlocked once, you still can't play it from your normal IP until the release date for that region comes around.

Some of this may be remembered incorrectly, or have been unnecessary in the first place. You may be able to find better details out in the interwebs.

I already received the preorder as a birthday gift, so no special edition for me :/