Sign in to follow this  
Loiosh

iD Tech 5 / Rage Presentation

http://www.cdaction.pl/news-7673/john-carmack-opowiada-o-rage---pol-godziny-goracego-materialu-prosto-ze-studia-id-software.html

Carmack gave one of his excellent presentation / rambling sessions for CD-Action. It's a good primer on the Rage engine and includes some nice highlights.

Pt 1: Discussion of Megatexturing and the reasons behind it. Cost of stamping tools.

Pt 2: Pros and Cons of baked-in lighting for MT. Discussion of iD Tech 5 other features (slightly). iD Tech ramp-up time for designers and artists. PS3 vs Xbox technical concerns. iD Tech 6 direction.

Pt 3: Further iD Tech 6 direction discussion... and my favorite part. This is relevant to Idle fans as ~ 2 mins in he discusses the mod community and specifically hits on a point the Thumbs made a few weeks ago. Discussion of the next generation of consoles, Sony intentions and downloadable content. Future of graphic technology.

Engine nerds, rejoice.

What I love most about Carmack is, unlike a lot of other engine designers, he always sounds so excited and hopeful for the future. He makes me feel like the future is just going to be even more awesome.