MrChaz

Have people seen Machinarium?

Okay, I've played this for a while and I love it. It's very well done, very polished. The graphics and sound are AAA or whatever you call it when when they're totally awesome, and the puzzles are sweet. There's nothing clunky about it, like is often the case with indie games. This game is like an awesome mix of Ico and Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. The world is positively soaked in atmosphere.

The only think that has annoyed me to this point is the right-click thing. This is a limitation of the game basically being a stand-alone Flash, and when you right click you get the standard Flash menu instead of, say, cancelling the inventory cursor. It's lame, but there's nothing they could've done about it, other than choosing to do it on some other platform. Anyway, they should at least've had some shake-the-cursor thing or whatever to replace it, but it's not a big deal.

O.K. I finally beat it, it gorgeous, a fun game and a great experience, but it has too many PUZZLE puzzles, there is at least one per screen! Sometimes two!

I don't play adventure games to have to solve a Rubik's cube every 5 minutes, I want explore and use my wit to figure out how to overcome an obstacle and meet new characters, not to play bloody Towers of Hanoi! :(

Thank god for the mini game that unlocks the walkthrough, the constant shoehorning of puzzles would have gotten to me without it!

O.K. I finally beat it, it gorgeous, a fun game and a great experience, but it has too many PUZZLE puzzles, there is at least one per screen! Sometimes two!

Not true, there was 1 scene that didn't have a single puzzle

Still, the puzzle per screen ratio is way too high! :mock:

When they are a few and well done I don't mind but too many seems like they are adding fluff to lengthen the game...:blink:

I felt like they were just the right amount. It was amazing, because I think this is the first adventure game where I started every scene just *looking around*. Then, after talking to the various dudes and gals that needed help or a push/shove, I just silently contemplated the requirements. I think there was one occasion where things didn't immediately fall into place after this approach, and I pretty quickly realized it was because I'd stupidly missed a set of stairs.

And such lovely music!

Anyway, fantastic game. Well worth the 17 bucks I spent.

This game is like an awesome mix of Ico and Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth.

That is a great comparison.

"Slight" spoiler from early gameplay:

Anyone else just start grinning like a madman when our little robotic pal started dancing along to the tunes each of the musicians were creating? It was incredibly adorable.

Anyone else just start grinning like a madman when our little robotic pal started dancing along to the tunes each of the musicians were creating? It was incredibly adorable.

There are a lot of idle animations, sometimes he day dreams. Very nice.

This is a limitation of the game basically being a stand-alone Flash, and when you right click you get the standard Flash menu instead of, say, cancelling the inventory cursor. It's lame, but there's nothing they could've done about it, other than choosing to do it on some other platform.

There are ways to get around that using third-party wrapping extensions, or at least there used to be last I checked, but that's going off topic. :getmecoat

There are ways to get around that using third-party wrapping extensions, or at least there used to be last I checked, but that's going off topic. :getmecoat

Yeah, you're probably right. Would those allow you to hook back into the flash runtime, though, or would it just be not showing the menu?

Okay, just to check. Has anyone here still not purchased this game? If so, why not? It's only $20. If you like awesome, beautiful games, it's totally worth it. If not, buy it anyway and consider it a donation to the movement of making awesome cheap PC games.

The visuals alone are just brilliantly amazing. It's an endless torrent of lovely, beautiful, smooth, hand-drawn graphics and animation. The attention to detail is mind blowing. Every single background in this game is in itself worth $20. And every little sound, every drop and scrape. Holy maloney.

It's only a shame that they don't have any nice desktop wallpapers.

Oh... didn't see the "wallpaper" link on their site (is that new?). Still it would have been nice if there was a wallpaper of the city as you see it on the start screen.

I completed this today because I was off work ill. Wonderful game :)

I like the it has a walkthrough, but with a simple little minigame just to make it something you can't immediately look through in a moment of weakness. There were a couple of moments where I needed it, as I probably wouldn't have worked out to

bounce the bird off the wire

, and those

sliding bead puzzles

near the end were driving me insane.

Everything else seemed manageable, though I might have got lucky with

connect 5. I won my 3rd game against the bot, but tried probably around 40 times again after completing the game then reloading near that point, and didn't win one. So frustrating!

I feel a bit stupid, because I've played a couple of sessions of a few hours. Still not finished. Enjoying it though!

Probably helped a little that I got a demo buld to play with for last year's Eurogamer expo that went all the way to the jail ;)

Haven't finished it yet but this sad little game makes me so happy. I absolutely love how it looks and sounds.

It also blew my mind when I realized that

I need money to buy the oil barrel

so that I can

give it to the drummer

in order to

make the old lady throw the radio out of the window

which

I can then open up and exchange its batteries for money

that I can finally use

to buy the oil barrel

The walkthrough system is also very nice. Had to use it six times when I got stuck, though, because I couldn't figure out what was the right place to use it. I had to

use the flies on the shopkeeper

It also blew my mind when I realized that

I need money to buy the oil barrel

so that I can

give it to the drummer

in order to

make the old lady throw the radio out of the window

which

I can then open up and exchange its batteries for money

that I can finally use

to buy the oil barrel

WTF? Are you joking or is this what happened to you?

Obviously that was not how the puzzle actually worked, but that was how I initially put the pieces together. They seemed to fit quite well too, except that I couldn't hop in that endless loop actions and reactions in any way.

Okay. For a moment I thought the game was secretly generating a random puzzle structure or something.

I actually made a new save right after I finished helping the musicians so I could go back and listen to the song they play. /nerd

And yeah, I agree that there are too many actual-puzzle puzzles, but other than that, I loved every bit of Machinarium.

I would totally have a sliding puzzle instead of buttons in my elevator. When I become filthy rich, I'll build myself a house worthy of Dr. Brain.

"I'm going to replace all light-switches in my house with puzzles like these" - ign.com

Loved it! The music and visuals are just perfect. A bit less standalone puzzles would have been nice, though. And a better ending. The arcade mini-games were quite bothersome until I discovered I could use the keyboard. Used the hints and walkthrough a couple of times.

Oh, and I beat the gomoku thing on the first try :fart: