Chris

Idle Thumbs 37: You Gotta Have Spice

This is one of the episodes I realized this past week that I was missing from my archive of the entire Idle Thumbs, uh, archive. So I had listened to it for the first time just days ago!

My favorite part was how Nick pretty much hated everything he talked about. Also Chris' story about building cobblestone roads and being awful as a leader (but that's the same shit I do).

Where does the 'dots' micro-meme come from?

It refers to the dots on the level meter on the mixing board we used. During pre-cast mic checks we'd just say a bunch of garbage to test volumes, and often (mainly Nick and Jake) would say "Dots, dots, we got some dots," as their voices were causing dots to appear on the mixer. I personally hate that that ended up bleeding into the cast itself, because its origins are basically unknowable to anyone except us. Jake and Nick are lame. (I probably said it too occasionally, in which case I am also lame.)

You should have blocked their dots, not bled them.

Or something.

There was a clip of Steve from episode 11-2 of him saying, "I'M GETTIN' DOTS." I've actually sound boards before though so I knew what it was in reference to somehow. Probably from Chris referencing checking levels.

It refers to the dots on the level meter on the mixing board we used. During pre-cast mic checks we'd just say a bunch of garbage to test volumes, and often (mainly Nick and Jake) would say "Dots, dots, we got some dots," as their voices were causing dots to appear on the mixer. I personally hate that that ended up bleeding into the cast itself, because its origins are basically unknowable to anyone except us. Jake and Nick are lame. (I probably said it too occasionally, in which case I am also lame.)

I generally have a :tup::tmeh: relationship with Idle Thumbs dedicating obscene amounts of its time derailing into real-time meta analyses of its own format. It is something you cannot not do—and is fun generally as it adds a bit of gonzo sausage-making to the wacki vigi varieti hour you've invented… but, you know…

Beware, etc. :campbell::(:violin:

I generally have a :tup::tmeh: relationship with Idle Thumbs dedicating obscene amounts of its time derailing into real-time meta analyses of its own format. It is something you cannot not do—and is fun generally as it adds a bit of gonzo sausage-making to the wacki vigi varieti hour you've invented… but, you know…

Beware, etc. :campbell::(:violin:

People keep asking :(