Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Wii Sports Resort

Who's Nintendo's whore? I AM! IT'S ME!

Anyway, picked this up because the reception so far has been generally positive and oddly I've been playing mostly Wii games lately anyhow. Also, I wanted to see if this Motionplus thingy was actually worth a damn. To my great surprise, yes. Yes it is. Not only that, but the game is pretty fun too.

Ok, so there are a few total flops. Basketball sucked out loud when I tried it, and I have yet to even look at that cycling thing, but for the most part it all does a good job of making you feel like you're doing it in real life. Like anything Wii, how much you get out of it corresponds directly to how much you're willing to buy in and act out the whole thing. I don't have a problem looking like a fool in front of my girlfriend and the cat however, so I went all out. Drawing the bowstring just as I'd been taught when I learned archery, really getting into the table tennis, striking poses like Errol Flynn when winning a sword duel, all that stuff. Of all of them I have to say the frisbee and swordplay probably feel the most fantastic, with the canoeing also surprising me with how authentic it felt when I tried it. The frisbee was the first thing I tried, and watching the disc rotate perfectly with my wrist while I tried to get just the right curve on a throw was incredible. I just got this crazy feeling of joy out of it.

All I can say is, if you have a Wii and are curious what it can do with this little gyromajigger attached to it, go for it. You'll have at least a few good hours of fun with it, and can show it off to people later as well. I hope (but don't know if I can let myself actually believe) that something real will actually come of this thing and it's not just a gimmick that 3 or 4 games use before it fizzles out. So much potential. So much goddamned potential. Of course, we were all saying that about the Wii in 2006 as well. :getmecoat

Swordplay is fantastic. Hopefully someone at Lucasarts plays it so they learn how to make a Star Wars game for the Wii.

I just wish they had the motion plus controls built into the Wii controller in the first place. This is how the Wii should have been all along.

Are the golf and bowling games much improved? They were by far the most played on my original Wii Sports so I'm considering getting this just for those (and the MotionPlus thing too, obviously...)

Are the golf and bowling games much improved? They were by far the most played on my original Wii Sports so I'm considering getting this just for those (and the MotionPlus thing too, obviously...)

I always thought Tennis was a big one—certainly the most played in my circles, but maybe that's because we have four wiimotes from the get-go.

Bowling always felt the most accurate of all the Wii games, with golf being fun until the putting stage, but tennis was the real champ in terms of fun multiplayer.

My friend lent me his Tiger Woods '10 game and his Wii Motion Plus (I'm not a gold fan, but did enjoy it on Wii Sports), and it's definitely an improvement. The putting is definitely more accurate. I hope to try resort out soon too. Woods also has frisbee golf, and I suck at it as much as I do throwing real frisbees, so it's pretty accurate.

Messing around with it, I've found that I can throw the frisbee in whatever crazy manner I like, including overhand and underhand, so that's pretty cool. (Although it corrects for me if I try to throw it backwards over my head.)

Edited by nsps

Yeah, the golf and frisbee golf in Resort are awesome. I found early on that the method that got me through Wii Sports golf was actually terrible form and made my shots cut badly to the right every time. That the game forced me to correct this before I could ever make par is a good example of the motionplus at work. The bowling is pretty much the same, honestly, with the only minor enhancement being to how sensitive it is to spin. As has been mentioned on the podcast, the table tennis is pretty good too. I suck at it, but it's good. For the record, I have played a bunch now, and have not had to recalibrate mid-game once. Maybe there's something wrong with Nick's motionplus, I dunno.

I, for one, cannot wait to get this game. My brother and I keep telling each other we have to get it. And this topic just made me want to have it more.

As has been mentioned on the podcast, the table tennis is pretty good too. I suck at it, but it's good. For the record, I have played a bunch now, and have not had to recalibrate mid-game once. Maybe there's something wrong with Nick's motionplus, I dunno.

I never played Wii Sports alone, EVER, but I was just trying out Table Tennis and that shit is addictive as hell.

I've also never had to calibrate my remote mid-game, and never felt like it needed it even when it made me do it pre-game. My friend's Tiger Woods game made no mention of calibration. (Also, Tiger Woods never forced me to watch a three-minute video explaining the mind-numbingly obvious. The golfer or the game.)