Chris

Idle Thumbs Steam group and ID exchange

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chuckpebble

Funny story. I use Macs at home, thats all I've got actually. I've heard so much about steam from this site and I've seen so many funny TF2 pics from halolz.com (its like icanhazcheeseburger for gamers with funny shots from Brawl, Halo and TF2 primarily) that I moseyed on over to the steam website over the haloween weekend. This is where it gets a bit crazy.

TF2 was on sale for $2.50. Without any thought about how I would install/run the game, I had my credit card out and purchased it. Insane.

Anyway, I downloaded a demo of crossover games and had everything up and running in about an hour. This was like 9pm. I played some arena and had a great time. I finally logged out of everything and decided to go to bed and was surprised to see in my menubar clock that it was 3am. Then I was even more surprised to see that my computer had already adjusted my clock for DST, and it was actually like I stayed up until 4am.

Anyway, steam is sweet. TF2 is sweet. I'm bittersweet, sweet to have found it finally, bitter that I didn't get into it sooner.

If there are any other mac users on steam out there let me know, I'd love to share some hot tips.

If there are any other mac users on steam out there let me know, I'd love to share some hot tips.

That'd be me. I'm running it on my MacBook. You could get it to run in Parallels or Bootcamp, but that requires an entire Windows install+license. What I use is Codeweaver's CrossOver Games. It's not free though. Runs well enough for me. The installation process was pretty smooth.

If you're feeling more adventurous, you can try using WINE which is the open source Windows emulator on which CrossOver Games is based. That's free. But, obviously, the installation process is a little more hands on.

WINE which is the open source Windows emulator

Wine Is Not an Emulator

Did you get the L4D2 demo running in

CrossOver? Last I heard it was giving you difficulty. Or did I imagine that?

If you're feeling more adventurous, you can try using WINE which is the open source Windows emulator on which CrossOver Games is based. That's free. But, obviously, the installation process is a little more hands on.

Yeah, I've been all over the place with wine. Thats where I started because I was trying to get Trackmania to work. This is shortly after upgrading to Snow Leopard. Turns out, I woulda been fine had I not done that. There's something fudged up with Quartz that breaks things. I tried installing wine-devel and wine through macports with no success. Replies on the wine forums about how to rectify the situation were met with elitist linux junkie snarkiness, so I turned away from that.

There's this other guy who makes a nice wine package installer, but that wouldn't run games. So I turned to Crossover Games.

That only has a 7 day trial period, but I'll give you a hint about that. If you install crossover in the distant future, and then somehow travel back to the present, you'll have more time to tool around with it. :shifty:

I have 1099 days to decide if I like it or not.

So, crossover is definitely doing something right because TF2 works great for me, as well as Trackmania, which would freeze my work PC randomly.

Portal has some ugly tearing in it. Meh.

I'm gonna try out L4D, and if I can't get it to work I'll prolly go bootcamp.

If I do that, I think I'll be using TinyXP or nlite to make a small windows install for just gaming.

You can change those numbers into a string of your choice in your profile settings.

yes, but you cannot change them into other numbers, real lame

Great to see loads of Thumbs on Steam!

:buyme:Don't forget: every Sunday at 8pm GMT is Left 4 Thumbs. Since the release of L4D2, we'll now likely be running two concurrent sessions - one for those who want to play the first game, and one for those who have the sequel.

Check the Idle Thumbs Steam Community calendar regularly to see when Left 4 Thumbs happens in your timezone.

Hopefully see some of you tomorrow..? :grin:

Unfortunately,L4T is one of the few times when I will not be able to attend. If anyone is still online at about 4:30 MTN (I think 11:30 GMT?) when I get home from work, I may be up for a run though.

Unfortunately,L4T is one of the few times when I will not be able to attend. If anyone is still online at about 4:30 MTN (I think 11:30 GMT?) when I get home from work, I may be up for a run though.

I may well be.

I was wondering who the fuck "My Little Pony" was when I accepted the friend request. Glad I did now. Cheers, monkey.

I was wondering who the fuck "My Little Pony" was when I accepted the friend request. Glad I did now. Cheers, monkey.

You don't get into cars with strange grown up's, do you?

Thinking about it, I'd have ditched that friend request, the internet is full of fucking wierdos. 'My Little Pony' is obviously a 45 year old man posing as a 12 year old girl.

OMG!?!???!?!!! LOL, A/S/L?

S.