Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Google Chrome

Just switched to Chrome, and it looks like I'll be switching back to Firefox pretty soon. It's fast, fast, fast, which is really nice, but I have to adjust to some annoying shit, like:

• No WYSIWYG editor on the Idle Thumbs forum
  • No bookmark sidebar
  • Seems to open new windows in actual new window, which is lame
  • No gesture (mouse rocker, actually) support

Of these, only the first is a deal breaker. I'll try it some more, though. Anyone know what the requirements for the WYSIWYG editor are? I should think Chrome could handlHOLY SHIT I CAN RESIZE THIS TEXT AREA WITH THE MOUSE!!!!!!

Yeah, I recently made the switch from Firefox to Chrome but I am pleased with it. My main selling point is how much faster it is on my system. It seems like a huge boost.

You know you can set it to open new windows as tabs, also?

I don't know anything about a WYSIWYG editor, so I can't speak to that.

Yeah, the switch killed my mouse gestures as well, but I found a program online that boots up with windows for mouse gestures. You create your own, so all I have to do to start Steam is make an S shape, or a V for Ventrilo, C for chrome, etc. It's pretty handy, and has a cut-off mode for gaming so you're not accidently opening programs while playing something.

It's called gMote. http://www.handform.net/gmote.php

Yep, I went through this and wasn't impressed by Chrome. Eventually, I switched to Opera, and I recommend that. It's a very speedy and smart browser these days...loads up super quick and has a bunch of clever features, some of them quite inventive, like the 'Speed dial'.

I don't understand why Firefox is so adored compared to Internet Explorer, both are just fine. I guess there are hundreds of add-ons for Firefox if you like extending the browser lots.

Chrome is my secondary browser, but I miss too many extensions from Firefox to make it my primary. I should probably give Opera a proper go. Opera Mini is an absurd improvement over other mobile browsers. I guess there are some security concerns, though, if you're bothered by that sort of thing.

Opera seems to be where much of the innovation for browsers seems to happen first. Remember when we didn't have tabs? Or mouse gestures?

I still don't have mouse gestures. Also, opera wasn't the first browser to have tabs. It was started by shells for internet explorer. Opera does a fair share of innovation, but so does Mozilla. Google and Microsoft haven't done much innovation. Sure, (Yes, Google did innovate with process per tab, but that's just 1 innovation, which isn't that much).

I don't like software that looks alien to my system. Software, specially desktop application should look like they belong on this system.

I've been using Chrome since it's launch and I haven't used another browser in production since. It's fast, lightweight and I prefer the way it looks over any other browser with it's less clutter/more viewing area idea.

But doing this takes

1. me
  2. ten

• seconds in Firefox,
    • and would

take ages in Chrome.

Yeah, but chrome doesn't support the keyboard shortcuts for the editor. Like ctrl+b for bold. Or (shift+)alt+s to submit reply.

I think my favourite feature in Opera is synced bookmarks. It's nice to have the same bookmarks on all my PCs. Firefox and/or Chrome may have the same functionality through add-ons (haven't looked).

I believe it's called import/export :P

Chrome can support WYSIWYG editors, Wordpress has one that works in my Chrome browser.

Chrome can support WYSIWYG editors, Wordpress has one that works in my Chrome browser.

Yeah, I meant the vBulletin one. Apparently they're not focusing on a Webkit implementation of it.

that works just as well, but it's not automatic...

If I find interesting links at work and want to read them at home, I don't wanna have to send myself exported bookmarks.

I love the history in Chrome. I used to set my timesheets at work according to them.

Control+h, everything's laid out there real nice.

Problem is, Chrome really sucks at loading images for me. It will bomb half the images on a site and take 30 seconds longer than firefox to load. Also it doesn't have firebug.

One thing I've really gotten used to and quite like in Chrome is the fact them when I open a bookmark in a new tab, it doesn't close my bookmarks list.

I've just bought a netbook, and Chrome is fucking awesome on it. Its pop-up blocker is magical and it's so lightweight and fast on the little machine, plus there's obviously that wee bit more space on the mini screen.

I prefer Firefox on the "real" computer, all those add-ons, no need for more screen space and it's wired to the router, so is faster anyway.

Yeah, I meant the vBulletin one. Apparently they're not focusing on a Webkit implementation of it.

don't get me started on vBulletin :/

I've been using Chrome since its launch, but it's gotten kind of irritating how little support there is for it, I mean it's google, what the hell. I tried Safari and it was alright, but the whole opening a link in a new window was too much.