Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

Best game credit roll/sequence

As sort of a follow up to a recent tweet of Remo.

Most games have a boring credit roll without much going on, sometimes a background animation. But others make the credit sequence at least interesting.

I agree with Remo that "And Yet It Moves" has a great ending sequence, because it's interactive.

m3e7_vt-Ti0

An other one of my favorites is the credits sequence of Super Mario World because it contains a role call of all the enemies you encountered (or not if you didn't play every level).

gNcIAC30mWI

And of course, the Portal credits

Y6ljFaKRTrI

I also like the LBA1 credits, similar to SMW it also shows a lot of characters you encountered in the game. (skip to about 4:00)

w9bahmSPYb4

So what's your favorite game credit sequence?

God Hand's ending was the perfect final note. Cheesy song. Cheesy dancing. Cheesy game.

"Dragon kick your ass into the milky way! Don't act like you don't need a ball buster!"

vAga2AjfZlg

I really liked the credits of Metal Gear Solid 3. Not because there is anything all that special with the credits themselves - they are done in standard cinematic fashion - but because of the choice of song playing over them. Matches the emotional ending of the game perfectly. I came close to shedding a tear.

Max Payne 2 has a

, not quite as good, but with snippets of the end song worked into the game (characters whistling it, singing i in the shower etc.

Sometimes the standard white-on-black credits crawl along with a good choice of music is the perfect end to a movie or game. It gives you a chance to relax and absorb and reflect on the experience as a whole.

I miss the days where all games would end with GAME OVER, even those with stories and everything.

It wasn't interactive but the Full Throttle credits were pretty epic, mainly for the music but also for the Biker Haikus and the bunnies at the end.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFM6xcsMSTw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFM6xcsMSTw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EDIT: This vid skips the bunnies for some reason.

I also really like a game that shows production art behind the closing credits. The first two Oddworld games really did that well.

Edited by thorn

The only interesting one I can think of at the moment is Super Smash Bros Melee (I think).

The credits were a shoot em up kind of game, where you had to shoot everyone's names, right?

It wasn't interactive but the Full Throttle credits were pretty epic, mainly for the music but also for the Biker Haikus and the bunnies at the end.

I also really like a game that shows production art behind the closing credits. The first two Oddworld games really did that well.

I kind of don't like how long the Full Throttle credits are but they certainly give you the feeling of an actual movie. The credits are there to heighten the emotion as Ben rides off alone without Mauren and the credits come up and let you know it's over, so you are forced to reflect on the ending and the rest of the game as the credits roll, since they are not just tacked on the end in a separate screen like most games.

The bunnies are great too, as well as all the haikus and cats, even though that stuff only lengthened the credits.

An other one of my favorites is the credits sequence of Super Mario World because it contains a role call of all the enemies you encountered (or not if you didn't play every level).

This credits sequence makes me so stupidly happy every time I see it, or even hear the music. God. I always liked Mario games way too much, but finishing Mario World and hearing that happy tune and seeing an overview of everything that went on, plus the little Yoshi epilogue, etc, etc... So good.

Hopefully all have heard this excellent cover of the SMW Closing Credits theme by XOC, from this best ever Mario World cover album.

My mind is always blown by the Europeanness of that ending song.

This "European" term is very interesting. I've noticed that people in the US are less concerned with the various countries within Europe, which I totally get. For me, when I hear something is European I always wonder what country or part of Europe they are really referring to.

If I said something was US-American, would you think that was too broad a term to really describe a specific style/mindset/whatever?

I guess that most Europeans regard the US in much the same way as the US regard Europe, in that it's pretty heterogeneous, but with some cities, states(US) and countries(Europe) that have some particular well-known characteristics (mostly, of course based on popular media stereotypes), like New York, Paris, Los Angeles, The Netherlands, Texas, Las Vegas, etc.

For example, if I went to New York and then to LA, I'd expect everything to be mostly the same except for the weather. That's probably as ridiculous as someone saying the same about Paris and Amsterdam or something.

Forget it, credits are awesome. I'm sometimes amazed that the credits sequence of a game seems more polished than the end game itself.

No love for the godawful spectacle that is the

? I laughed my ass off all the way through that thing. Not good, by any means, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and remember it vividly.

considering it's 1:10 minute into the credits, I think it's a joke

but it does appear to be very popular, there's even a ring tone for it.

I'd have to say that for me it would have to be Portal. I don't know how many of you are RELEASE DAY OMG gamers, but for Portal that was a complete blessing. It's hard to imagine how it felt the first time finishing that game having absolutely no expectation of what was to come.

I was lucky to play it on release night, and without any expectation, was completely blown away by the creative experience. Portal had my favorite ending over all for those reasons.

For my second favorite I'd have to go with one of the more memorable credit sequences which came with Super Monkey Ball :banana: banana:banana:banana:

It featured a scroll where you drifted your monkey through the titles to collect all the bananas and then were scored and rated based on your performance. I never got a good score.

Yeah, that SMB sequence was sweet. Unofrtunately, internet meme-dom ruined Portal's ending for me. I played through the first 8 or 9 stages, then my computer died and I had to wait a month before I got a new one and could go back to it. By that time I'd heard so much about it there was very little impact for me.

I really like the intro to Grand theft auto 4. They nicely show off the city you're going to spend a lot of time in.

I couldn't find a video for this one, but the credits for Meteos on the DS were pretty interesting, because it involved playing more Meteos - which everyone can agree is a pretty good thing.