Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Battlefield 1943

Anyone else picked this up, it's pretty good. This of the amount I have played, it sold enough so that the servers have become really bogged down. making it hard to find a game. The game it's self is pretty enjoyable.

Looking forward to getting it. I like my non-disc-based games on the consoles and at around £10 it looks to be good value. I'm guessing it's going to be plagued with numerous DLC addons in the future mind.

Really fucking weird for me. The game does not show up on XBox Live at all. Not in the recently added, not in the full marketplace gallery, no where. But it's there on XBox.com where I can queue it up for download automatically. I'm downloading it now. No idea what's going on there. :erm:

Yeah I'm pretty excited to get into this, but the servers are crumbling under the onslaught of gamers. How was EA not prepared for this?

I just keep running through the training mission. By the time they get it sorted out I should be much better flying planes at least.

Yeah I'm pretty excited to get into this, but the servers are crumbling under the onslaught of gamers. How was EA not prepared for this?

I just keep running through the training mission. By the time they get it sorted out I should be much better flying planes at least.

I think it's because it sold twice as much as any other recent BF game.

Is it full of advertisements like 2142? If so :spiraldy:

Nope... it's set in 1943, even if there were, it would be pretty cool, WW2 adverts looked excellent.

Failed to connect to EA servers.

Failed to connect to EA servers.

Fuck this, I'm going back to TF2.

I downloaded the trial. Really like the look, feel, depth of the game. Teetering on getting it - then I see all these issues with the servers, so maybe I'll pass for the time being.

If we can wrangle some thumbs for an en masse Pacific Expedition, then I'll reassess.

T'is a fun game and translates well on the console and for less than a tenner it's good value. It just suffers from that free for all attitude which made battlefield so depressing when it was first released. Only clan play really brings out its potential and I can't see myself getting involved in that on the PS3.

Controlling the planes is harder than in a flight simulator as well :shifty: Maybe it's like that on purpose, but the controls are definitely not noob friendly.

This may sound stupid (especially to a Battlefield vet) but I love the simplicity of the whole thing. There is no choice between public or private games, there aren't multiple modes like deathmatch or whatever, there is one game type, one mode. This way everyone who is playing Battlefield is just playing Battlefield without splitting the user base across whatever.

Until the DLC anyway.

Given how aggressive EA are with DLC (letting us use buttons in Fight Night 4 by downloading a patch described as DLC, for example) I wouldn't be surprised to see private servers eventually added as a download later on. I think it would be a shame if it wasn't as unlike Team Fortress 2 it's not a game that lends itself well to teamwork as a rule.

I downloaded it a couple nights ago and couldn't play it due to the general server shennanigans, but played last night and had a blast. I loved Battlefield 1942 for the PC, and this works way better for me because I don't have to worry about system requirements or anything. It still has the crazy, chaotic BF 1942 feeling, but more streamlined.

Also you can blow up trees.

I enjoyed the demo, and was about to buy the full thing, but the friend I was going to play with did and was prevented from playing because of problems connecting to the EA service, so I'm holding off for the time being.

I enjoyed the demo, and was about to buy the full thing, but the friend I was going to play with did and was prevented from playing because of problems connecting to the EA service, so I'm holding off for the time being.

I still can't connect. Game's fucked up for me. Shame too, cause I wanted to give EA my money. Instead, it's going to LucasArts. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY EA.

I still can't connect. Game's fucked up for me. Shame too, cause I wanted to give EA my money. Instead, it's going to LucasArts. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY EA.

Are you only using the demo? I have the full version of the game and it's been working for me for the past 2 nights, the only problem I've had was on Thursday night. My friend had the demo only and couldn't connect to games, but downloaded the full version and it worked fine. Sort of a catch 22 - you can't play the game unless you buy it, and you won't buy it unless you play it first.

I just finished my 30 minutes of trial, I spent most of the time looking longingly towards the skies hoping to spawn next to a plane at some point, then I finally did and summarily crashed the fucker into the sea. Is flying supposed to be that hard or is the control scheme broken? :(

Seemed like the game is 50% guys running around randomly killing people without any regard for tactics, 40% guys randomly driving/flying vehicles around in circles and occasionally dragging a good samaritan gunner with them, and 10% people actually playing the game for real. In other words, seems like team-based shooters have changed very little since I stopped playing them about 10 years ago.

Seemed like the game is 50% guys running around randomly killing people without any regard for tactics, 40% guys randomly driving/flying vehicles around in circles and occasionally dragging a good samaritan gunner with them, and 10% people actually playing the game for real.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Still had a good time though. In a strange way all that chaos adds to the charm for me.

The aspect that really appealed to me when playing the BF games was that I could have my own single player (or co-op with a small group) game inside this larger conflict. There would be all sorts of awesome shit going on, and we could do our own thing, grabbing a car and going off on some mission. It probably isn't the best way to win the game, but it really brought out the same stuff that appealed to me when playing the first 20-30 levels in WoW. Fun single player gameplay in a larger world that didn't seem focused around me.

So another friend of mine bought it and said he was having no problems playing online, so I picked it up, and most of the time it connects OK, but we had a lot of difficulty getting into the same game and having the voice chat work. Eventually we gave up for the night, after which I played with moderate success on my own. Snipey snipey!

(I must confess I'm not especially focused on my team's success.)

The single player connection problems seem to have gone, not tried with a party yet. The Lag seems to be all gone.

Yeah, once I'm in a game it seems to be fine, short of some problems with voice chat, as I mentioned. In one game it just cut out for most of the match; in another it was choppy to the point of incomprehensibility. I've noticed it also suddenly gets a lot louder for brief moments every now and then.

I'm sure it'll be ironed out in time, but at the moment it's a bit bothersome.

Yeah, once I'm in a game it seems to be fine, short of some problems with voice chat, as I mentioned. In one game it just cut out for most of the match; in another it was choppy to the point of incomprehensibility. I've noticed it also suddenly gets a lot louder for brief moments every now and then.

I'm sure it'll be ironed out in time, but at the moment it's a bit bothersome.

I'm guessing you are on PS3. I wouldn't know about voice chat, as I am always in a party.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned. Obviously in the 360 version that's less likely to be a problem.

Yeah, the PS3 could really do with some game-independent party and chat features.