Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

GDC and Gamescom Cologne 2009

So, is anyone here going to Germany come August? I'll be there, in Cologne, on the biggest European games convention (and attached GDC) from the 19th tot the 21st. The 19th is the press day and afterwards it's open to public. So if anyone is coming, it might be fun to meet up and play some, you know, video games!

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/

Is the site ugly ? Looks like it.

Now I'll try to go through my VGpress site but I can't promise a thing.

Well, I'll be going tomorrow, so... goodbyyyyye! =) I'll try to throw a whipped cream pie onto Molyneux' face!

Wow, there's an incredible lack of threads about the announcements that happened in Gamescom, so I'll just post here.

My jaw DROPPED with the new trailers and videos of Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 2. Please do yourselves a favor and watch them:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-ratchet/54390

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-uncharted-2/54369

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-uncharted-2/54455

those first two... awesome, that's how trailers should be

Um... Dust 514? This could, if it works out right, blow everything else out of the gamesphere.

Thanks for the links dpp

I agree with you guys, these trailers are really well crafted. I wonder if they hired editors from Hollywood.

Um... Dust 514? This could, if it works out right, blow everything else out of the gamesphere.

Well it does look quite interesting. It's a bit weird however how it ties in with EVE Online. I know quite a few EVE players that are worried about how this will affect them, since from what we heard it will affect sovereignty in EVE. It could affect the big Russian alliances in EVE since apparently Xbox Live isn't available there.

But yeah, I'm gonna keep my eyes on this game for sure.

Interesting point. One of the most powerful alliances is Russian based. As a game though, tactical, long term weapon loadouts and skills that you never lose could well be attractive to people looking for a more in depth FPS experience. -A- could well afford a vast mercenary xbox live army... Although they might not get the dedication shown by the comrades. -A- pilot dedication has to be seen to be believed sometimes!

One of the biggest suprises of the Gamescom was Brink, the new Bethesda/Splash Damage first person shooter that manages to incorporate some sort of Team Fortress-like RPG-light systems. It looked very impressive (wasn't playable on the floor yet), most of the appeal coming from its bright, colourful visuals.

I quite like Brink character design - not only because I find it original but because it actually provides me with a good example when I want to describe to someone what I mean by "detailed cartoon".

Plus, you're right, even though there's a good amount of grey/whites, there's also a bunch of colors; go fuck yourselves so called 'Colors of War'!

Additionally, because they've made the character creation options a lot tighter and more restricted (you're not able to sculpt noses or mold convex cheeks or some such), this will be the first Bethesda[-published] game where your character will actually look really nice and well-designed, no matter what you do.

It really shows that more choice in this field actually hampers the player instead of helping him. Better to have a limited set of well-designed elements than having endless options where nothing really looks great.

It also happened that I was suddenly viciously attacked by none other than Brotherhood of Nod leader Joe Kucan Kane, on the EA stand.

roderickkane.jpg

(Which apparently made me pull a Weird Face)

Edited by Rodi

Awesome pic again. Why are you able to take awesome pictures of yourself next to cool game people? I mean, that's Kane!

The beautiful thing is that I wasn't even supposed to be in the (restricted) EA press stand. I unfortunately had no appointments there, so I had to literally con my way into there, pretending my editor had screwed up with the arrangements*. Once they had let me in, it was all about free drinks and snapping shots with the stars. That's what rock 'n roll is all about!

(*Everyday I'm hustlin'!)

How I got it was kind of embarrassing/awesome though. On the press day of Gamescom I visited the Rock Star booth and, not kidding, a gopher questioned whether I was 18. Now, I know I look young, but I'm 26! So I told him so politely (it's not something I get angry at for that matter, it's an honest mistake), and he immediately got me the Gay Tony t-shirt as an apology.

I heard they were pretty rare, by the way. I certainly didn't see others walking around in them. Mass Effect 2 tees were all around, by comparison.

you don't look like 26

Shouldn't have drank from that magical elixir!

And Scrobbs, I read on Kotaku that the Gamescom (and Cologne, perhaps?) did have a very unique, nice atmosphere. Apart from the convention, the city itself has a lot to offer as well, in terms of musea, the great cathedral and shops.