toblix

New "old-school" LucasArts game announced tomorrow

Weird, now I also do. My PC responds to peer pressure.

Weird, now I also do. My PC responds to peer pressure.

Soon it'll start smoking and having casual sex...

I consider the DOS version of PoP the best version.

I actually somewhat prefer the XBLA remake. More fluid movement.

I actually somewhat prefer the XBLA remake. More fluid movement.

Ah I completely forgot about that one.

That one is a major departure in style as well, one of which I also don't prefer.

Does the jailbroken iPhone ScummVM port have the same controls as the iPhone Monkey Island SE? I'm having a lot of trouble actually playing this game on my iPhone. I had expected the cursor to go to wherever you pointed, and then touching down a second finger anywhere would count as a click action, or something. But instead, it feels like you drag the cursor around... but not 1:1... looks like there's some mouse emulation going on or something, instead of direct interaction with the cursor? Then, to click, it seems you have to precision tap right on the cursor art itself again without moving it at all.

Also classic mode's art is upscaled in a non-smoothed "nearest neighbor" style, so that its pixely, but not 1:1 pixel aspect ratio, giving a lot of the art a slightly misshapen style, like when someone puts a gif on a webpage but sets the width wrong. It actually looks exactly like when I ran Monkey Island 1 on my friend's Macintosh LC, which only went up to 512x384 resolution, so instead of double-sizing (which on the original Mac ports used amoothing similar to the Mame2x filter ScummVM has), or displaying at normal size (a little 320x200 window), it just crustily squished the 320x200 window up to 512x384 and looked awesome.

That said, I paid $8 and have a legal copy of Monkey Island 1 on my iPhone, which is just conceptually cool, other issues aside.

I was annoyed by the control scheme at first, expecting the cursor to automatically follow my finger, but I'm starting to think it works well enough. To click, you can just tap anywhere on the screen except the UI bar. Double tapping will perform the traditional right-click action

Ah that makes a little more sense. Still seems less than ideal, but it seems like part of the problem was that I just couldn't intuitively figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

It seems as though they're just using the touchscreen as a mouse substitute which was a bit of a shame, but I guess this thing is just a SCUMM emulator like Flight of the Amazon Queen was.

It's a shame, I thought it'd have a more precise tappy thing going on. If any of you guys have tried 1112 or 1112 Lite, it has a really cool, effective adventure game control scheme going on which I was hoping Monkey Island would emulate. But you can't always get what you want, and I suppose it is pretty cool conceptually.

PS. Is it just me, or does the background music very often drown out the voices? (I'm using headphones)

I had no idea an episodic adventure game existed for the iPhone already (I'm totally itching to do some myself), but that's awesome. Is it any good?

I'm still working my way through it, but I quite like the art style and the interface. I also like my modern-day adventure games.

It has a couple of bugs, and I've heard the episode is quite short. But so far I don't regret spending 99 cents on it. I suppose you should at least check out the Lite version.

The only other graphic adventure game on the app store is Myst and Flight of the Amazon Queen, I think.