toblix

New "old-school" LucasArts game announced tomorrow

Awesome, I was too young to play any of these games the first time around, so I'm looking forward to picking them up. Any recommendations for a total adventure newbie?

There's even a small chance that you will be able to enter your old serial numbers in order to get the new download versions (a very small chance, but it happens sometimes).

Are you sure these are new versions? I didn't see any indication.

Anyways, what a boring bit of news. I guess if you have never played any of these or have lived in the US where LucasArts rereleases are unheard of it's okay. But eh, ho-hum. I wonder if they will be releasing the downloadable level with Armed and Dangerous as well for those new to the game, though.

INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS IS STILL THE BEST ADVENTURE GAME THAT HAS BEEN MADE FOR ANY PLATFORM.

If you like adventure games even a little, or would like to try one, buy this. Just fucking buy it no matter what. It's so great. I never play games more than once, but I've played this probably ten times, which means it's awesome.

Well you have to play Fate of Atlantis at least 3 times through if you want to be a completist nerd and see the whole game.

I think that means I've beaten the game probably 6 times my whole life.

Awesome news for 1990s born idiots like me

It freaks me the fuck out that people who were born in the 90's aren't still in primary school. You can't be adults yet, you just can't be!

For me, and to help justify my purchases to OssK, the only games of those that I actually owned were the Dig and Armed & Dangerous. The other ones that I said I was going to buy were all things that I downloaded in high school when they were impossible to find in stores. Except Starfighter, which I downloaded because I didn't have a job and I didn't feel bad about piracy back in the 10th grade. I have played them, yes, but I don't actually own them, and I would like to. (And SSD, I was born in '87. Where do you draw the line on getting freaked out?)

The other ones that I said I was going to buy were all things that I downloaded in high school when they were impossible to find in stores.

Yeah, if you didn't buy them then and are actually paying for them now, since they are going to be available to pay for, then I completely support that.

I hope they release Zak McKracken and Maniac Mansion on Steam soon so the Ebay prices for complete boxed editions will go down just a tad.

Oooh. Never got a chance to play the Last Crusade. :clap:

And Ossk, chill out. Nothing wrong with giving the consumers legal options to buy your products. No one's going to be repaying if they don't want to. It's not like Lucasarts is capable of retroactively shutting down DOSBOX, ScummVM, and all old computers to force people to rebuy the old games. :shifty:

INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS IS STILL THE BEST ADVENTURE GAME THAT HAS BEEN MADE FOR ANY PLATFORM.

No, it isn't. That award either goes to Monkey Island 1, Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango. Heck, even Curse of Monkey Island beats it... and I LOVE Fate of Atlantis.

For anyone who's interested, here's The Complete Game Guides for when you get stuck.

God, I really need to update that site.

Assuming they're using ScummVM/DOSbox for some of the games, I'm wondering of they will get a pad on the back from LucasArts.

And actually, I find the list of classic games quite disappointing.

It freaks me the fuck out that people who were born in the 90's aren't still in primary school. You can't be adults yet, you just can't be!

Well, here we are, all grown up and largely ignorant of early 1990s LucasArts adventure games. It may depress you to know that the first LA game I played was probably Rogue Squadron (the experience from which my forum moniker was derived) and still think it's awesome.

Ossk, as part of the intended audience for these releases, I ask you to chill the fuck out and lamely echo the sentiments of the last few replies to you.

[Oh, Miffy, it looks like you were a similar age to me when you joined these forums. Did you go through an initial "massive wanker who tends to make people annoyed" phase too, or will I forever be condemned to a merely tolerated presence here?]

You're the one who didn't like Half-Life, right gdf? Forever condemned it is!

Here's why this is good news, people (and by people I mean OssK): There is an outside chance, if these games (plus the SOMI remake) sell well, we might actually get a new LucasArts adventure game! Maybe even one that's not a cancelled sequel to Full Throttle!

Granted, all the talent from the golden age has left, but I'm beginning to get the impression from the info coming out about the Monkey Island Special Edition that there's a whole new wave of young talent there at LucasArts just dying to be allowed to make an adventure game. I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility, not anymore.

The fact that they held off the "bigger" titles is probably so they can do an SE if Monkey Island: SE sells well. (Incidentally, it's due out on the 15th!)

Also, I defend Ossk and his batshit insane rantings... for those who of us who already own the games it's a bit shit. But still, it'd be nice if they WEREN'T just DosBoxed/ScummVM versions, but actually 100% compatible ones. I don't know why, but it would.

I guess I'd rather have GOG.com versions of them, but I'll settle for anything at this point.

Oh, and I went back and played through the whole of Half-Life in a few days and loved every second. It's just the second one I have beef with, really, and even then I think it's a great game.

I guess I'd rather have GOG.com versions of them, but I'll settle for anything at this point.

I'd rather have GOG versions because of the bells and whistles. And, well, scans of the manuals. The booklet for the Last Crusade is a beauty:

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

When I got the game, I must have been 4 or 5. I carried that thing around wherever I went. Who needs a fedora or leather jacket when you have *the goddamn grail diary*.

Post brought to you by stupid nostalgia.

(Oh, and one plus point of this is I might finally get to play Grim Fandango).

Oh, I am exited. I will definitely buy the games I never owned but played – Loom, Fate, MI1. And probably all the others just for convenience's sake. Having all those great games available on all the computers around the world with minimal hassle is a nice thought.

In an ideal world, LA would give the guys behind SCUMM-VM a share of the money. Mh, maybe I will donate some money. [i looked into it.] Damn, they have problems with stupid paypal, so it isn't that easy.

I somehow get Ossk's sentiment though. But I can easily justify buying some games again because, as said, it's more like I pay for the services Steam provides this time, and not so much for the games itself. I my head, that is.

This is good news but I really don't see what the excuse is for not playing those games. Just download the lucasarts games in torrent form. Its 2009 , start enjoying the interwebs ffs.

I didn't finish The Dig or LOOM so I think I might buy these.

Edited by Erkki

I think 'The Dig' is greatly underrated. It might have the best atmosphere of all LA-adventures. The characters aren't that deep, and the story isn't that complex, but the whole alien-world is an interesting and atmospheric place, and the characters and story work very well in it.

It's less a humour game like the Monkeys or Tentacles, but as a sci-fi-adventure it's up there with those games and Fate and Loom on my personal pedestal of honour.

Eh, The Dig is okay, but atmpsphere only gets you so far until you're stuck aimlessly wandering in a big empty place with nobody to talk to. I would've liked it if they had let you switch between all three characters ala Day of the Tentacle, at the very least so you're not hearing Robert Patrick's sleep-inducing monotone so much. And it would've been interesting to see that world through Brink's eyes, especially after

his resurrection

I'm excited to finally have a chance to play Last Crusade, though I'm sure it'll be a letdown after Fate of Atlantis. Also to play Loom again, the only LucasArts game I've ever been careless enough to lose. Unless you count when I threw Yoda Stories in the trash.

I'd say the emptiness adds to the atmosphere.

It is, after all, an integral part of the story.

Well, I was right about this news and yet so, so wrong. The only games on that list I give two squats about are The Dig (which I already own) and LOOM (which I've never played but want to). Why none of the true classics like DoTT or Sam & Max? I want to buy the full talkie versions of the games I only have on floppies.