toblix

La Celle Splintereux: Conviçion

Theres slow mo on the somersault from cover to cover?

(I do not have a gold account to check)

No, I'm saying that there's an in-game mechanic that allowed me to break the intended seriousness/immersion of the game by rolling everywhere, similar to the break caused by Heavy Rain's speed-controllable analog stick actions that the guys talked about a few episodes ago.

Well to be fair that is something that's possible in pretty much every game ever, not playing the game as intented by for example repeating a specific animation over and over again, breaking the immersion. The most entertainment I ever got out of Prototype was tapping the Left trigger instead of holding it, making the climbing look absolutely ridiculous. It probably says more about me than the game but I like to pretend otherwise.

True, but usually things like that are more just using a particular mechanic in an unintended way. I can't figure out what that roll does other than just make you roll. It doesn't appear to make you travel at a different speed, and you can move normally when crouching. It seems like it's only there because someone said, "He needs to be able to roll, like all those spy movies!"

"He needs to be able to roll, like all those spy movies!"

Am I the only one who's always waiting for 007 to grab a horizontal bar or doorframe and do the pull-up/kick thing while watching a James Bond movie?

Still no signs of dismemberments? LAME

Yeah, and wtf, where are the zebras and giraffes?!

:blink:

The launch trailer doesn't really show what I associate with Splinter Cell. The sneaking super-soldier, who's eliminating enemies with precision and stealth got replaced by a reckless sadist. That's how it looks to me, at least. I know it's because they killed his family and all, but this transforms the franchise into something completely different.

The former games were struggling with unconvincing AI and the flawed visual detection (it only matters how much light falls on you, not your silhouette. standing in a dark place but in front of a bright background makes you clearly visible in reality.). I wished they would have worked on these things. But instead, they pimped the visual (by adding fancy projections) and ramped up the gore factor once again. I am disappointed.

Apropos zebras and giraffes: a stealth mission in a zoo at night would be awesome!

I thought about getting it when it's cheap, because I'm not all too thrilled by the game. But as long as they've got the laughable DRM running I won't get it at all.

The gametrailers review is up, btw.

What the heck has happened to Grimsdóttir?

agrmsdttircomparison.png

And Fisher looks slightly different, too. I can't pinpoint it, but for me he looks even younger albeit having more wrinkles and greyer hair. Ironside's voice doesn't match Fisher's new face all too well in my opinion. Go check the videos.

sfishercomparison.png

I never thought Ironside's voice matched Fisher's look that well, but as I was staring at the back of his head most of the time, I never cared. It's a great voice regardless.

YES. This game is great, it retains the feel of Splinter Cell while controlling in a quite different manner. I really like the way it can make you feel like you are mastering being Sam, the previous titles could feel clunky if you didn't know how to control them, this seems to overcome this. For example when moving forward from one piece of cover to another you can cancel into a melee execution by tapping B. I miss being able to choose whether to knock a guy out or stab him, though it makes sense with the fiction to just kill dudes.

I played some Co-op with a friend I went to high school with and it's fantastic, there are 4 missions the first is quite long, and very enjoyable. Along with the straight Co-op there are a few other modes: VS, survival and infiltration.

I'm really glad this game is good.

I thought I knew how to play Splinter Cell, but I can't avoid getting into firefights with everyone on the base. Did anyone manage to complete the Airfield without the last couple of sections becoming bloodbaths?

edit: Played some more, and this game is bullshit. At least God of War III handles fighting a pile of enemies with a touch of grace. I should've taken the hint when I got to the first weapons cache and found two silenced pistols and a hundred fucking machine guns.

edit: Played even more, and it still sucks. I mean, it would be a great shooter, but when you call something Splinter Cell you should be able to expect some quality sneaking around, not 3rd person Modern Warfare. It seems someone with a calculator had found out it was time to cash in on another Splinter Cell game, but was also savvy enough to know that slow, stragetic gameplay is for fags. Also, I know I complain too much, so I'll stop right now.

Edited by toblix
I'm so angry.

I thought I knew how to play Splinter Cell, but I can't avoid getting into firefights with everyone on the base. Did anyone manage to complete the Airfield without the last couple of sections becoming bloodbaths?

edit: Played some more, and this game is bullshit. At least God of War III handles fighting a pile of enemies with a touch of grace. I should've taken the hint when I got to the first weapons cache and found two silenced pistols and a hundred fucking machine guns.

edit: Played even more, and it still sucks. I mean, it would be a great shooter, but when you call something Splinter Cell you should be able to expect some quality sneaking around, not 3rd person Modern Warfare. It seems someone with a calculator had found out it was time to cash in on another Splinter Cell game, but was also savvy enough to know that slow, stragetic gameplay is for fags. Also, I know I complain too much, so I'll stop right now.

Ubisoft Montreal have essentially already made that game 3 times. I would have preferred the final(?) Fisher game to be a traditional Splinter Cell, though I can see why they have done this. I knew from the start this wasn't a true splinter cell game.

I found that later on there are more opportunities to use stealth were greater towards the end. It's much more of a 24/Die Hard game than it should be.

Traditional Splinter Cell died with the atrocity that was Double Agent on current generation consoles.

Traditional Splinter Cell died with the atrocity that was Double Agent on current generation consoles.

I hear everybody razzing on Double Agent, but that game was a million times better than this piece of crap. At least it had some sneaking around and picking off guards one by one, not machine pistols shootouts at a carnival. I remember it being not that awesome, but why is it considered a travesty? I'll have to check if I posted something about it back in the day.

edit: Found it. Looks like I thought it was average, with some sweet moments.

I hear everybody razzing on Double Agent, but that game was a million times better than this piece of crap. At least it had some sneaking around and picking off guards one by one, not machine pistols shootouts at a carnival. I remember it being not that awesome, but why is it considered a travesty? I'll have to check if I posted something about it back in the day.

edit: Found it. Looks like I thought it was average, with some sweet moments.

Maybe I should give DA another shot, but from what I played it felt a lot less like Splinter Cell than this, I always played the series without guns, except for taking out lights. I can take guys hostage, pull them off ledges and if worst comes to worst, I know I have a fuckton of ammo in my SC2K (SC3K in Conviction) to take out the guys.

For me Splinter Cell is all about hunting down a guy and dispatching him silently, I never really used any gadgets really. Back in the day I played the super hard difficulty where you didn't get ammo.

Ehh...I've been playing the crap out conviction and rarely did I end up in giant bloodbath shootouts. Except obviously the points where the game intentionally does that. I use the silenced pistol like 99% of the time. Once in a while using the silenced mp5 for a long distance headshot. Me and a friend were actually wondernig at one point why they even bothered with the assault rifles and shotguns when neither of us really used them often.

I actually really enjoy the game and have been really into the co-op modes. That's really where the game shines for me.

Does anyone want to play chaos theory multiplayer? I never got a chance to enjoy the versus or co-op, but I'd really like to.

Does anyone want to play chaos theory multiplayer? I never got a chance to enjoy the versus or co-op, but I'd really like to.

PC yeah, hit me up on Steam.

Ehh...I've been playing the crap out conviction and rarely did I end up in giant bloodbath shootouts.

Okay, this is interesting to me, because it points to a suspicion of mine that I was simply playing it the wrong way. I looked up the part I was stuck on (well not stuck, but unable to avoid a shootout) on Gamefaqs, and it just said to kill this dude and that dude and then all the guys who would come running. This made me assume I was right about it being more of a gunfest. However, that part was in Iraq, so maybe that was a particularly "gunny" section?

Another example is in the airfield, where you have to disable some power stuff (throw a lever and then break it off). In the little house there are three guys covering all the exits -- I spent quite some time, but was unable to find a sweet ninja way to go about it. This resulted in a shootout that made all the guys in the rest of the level enter search-and-destroy mode. If you remember that part, do you remember if you managed to avoid this?

The iraq section is pretty much just a gears of war section, you're not really meant to be stealthy in it. The airfield section I actually managed to sneak out of the building and then silently take down the 3 guys that show up, plus another I hadn't killed that decided to patrol by. I usually handle things pretty patiently and wait for an opportunity to hand-to-hand dudes. Wow that sounded pretty gay.

Oh yes, the level after Iraq is fantastic. This is what I wanted all along -- ninja action.