toblix

La Celle Splintereux: Conviçion

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-splinter-cell/56471

I knew that they were making the take-down moves a bit faster and to-the-point in this game but I didn't realize just how brutal they made Sam. They seem to be using his in-game actions as a way to convey his mental state. What do you guys think of the new Sam? Will you be comfortable playing a character like this?

Oh snap! :24 & :43 the goggles are back! I should've known...

Holy fucking shit. What is this, Manhunt: Conviction?

You shut your mouth before I put a knife through your hand, a bullet in your back and a pistol grip through your teeth.

301587-luke_large.png

- Another puzzle solved!

professorlayton_narrowweb__300x6420.jpg

- You shut your mouth before I put a knife through your hand, a bullet in your back and a pistol grip through your teeth.

They killed his daughter. Fuck' em.

What they show doesn't match the brutal melee combat in the Bourne Conspiracy game

Putting a guy's head through a coffee table before snapping his knee the wrong way around was awesome.

That trailer really sucked. And I don't mean the gameplay or the overarching theme of how Sam's gone completely homicidal. I mean the way it's cut together. I didn't like the look of it at all. The editor that said that was all fine and dandy needs a knife through his hand. Alright, that was a bit too much.

Reminds me of the Dragon Age trailer. And I didn't even mind the Marylin Manson that much. It was just shoddy craftsmanship.

So there.

It got delayed, again... this is getting silly, with the combination of the Capcom games being pushed back and this, it seems that publishers keep pushing games back, even if it means a net loss during this financial year, hoping the economy will recover by the time the games are released.

Splinter Cell Conviction was originally due for a 2007 release, if I remember correctly; while it has been said that development has been restarted at least once, it is still fairly ridiculous. As someone who considers themselves a fan of the series, having played all of the prior games, albeit not the inferior 360/PS3/PC version of Double Agent, it is kind of frustrating with releases being put back this close to release.

Wait a minute, so now we're pissed off because publishers actually allow developers the time to make their game the best it can be? It's a topsy-turvy world, gentlemen!

I don't think so. For me, anyway, it's more that I wish they'd just wait a bit longer to announce a release date.

Wait a minute, so now we're pissed off because publishers actually allow developers the time to make their game the best it can be? It's a topsy-turvy world, gentlemen!

No, the game is probably ready for release, it's due to all of the games being pushed to Q1, which is now incredibly busy, now games due for Q1 are being pushed to Q2.

Hmm 360 or PC, price difference of £10. I might have to go for PC, despite the DRM.

then I hope you have a very stable internet connection

No, the game is probably ready for release, it's due to all of the games being pushed to Q1, which is now incredibly busy, now games due for Q1 are being pushed to Q2.

Or the game is such a mess that they need the extra time. I watched the demo for this game on Live television and Sam fell through the world, that was 3 months ago.

They couldn't even demo the game with out exposing major glitches.

I'm going off on one but does anyone remember a game called Haze? It went platform exclusive, got delayed a lot and ended up rubbish with a ton of features removed.

Who published that?

I would say the PC version is totally the way to go, it looks freaking great in motion on the PC, but yeah that DRM doesn't sound too hot.

I haven't had any experience with it, but it sounds pretty aweful and I really hope it doesn't turn people off from the game or the pc option.

I'm going off on one but does anyone remember a game called Haze? It went platform exclusive, got delayed a lot and ended up rubbish with a ton of features removed.

Who published that?

I'm not sure as to the publisher (maybe ubisoft as well? Is that supposed to be an ironic question?) but it was the last game made by Free Radical (of the excellent Timesplitters) before they went under and killed any chance of Timesplitters 4. Made me very sad.

As for the PC DRM, is this game going to be on Steam? I know most Ubisoft games are, and if so it'll probably just use the same copy protection that Steam has if you get that version, won't it? This one has been under my radar for a while now, so I guess I'll just wait it out for a while.

I know most Ubisoft games are, and if so it'll probably just use the same copy protection that Steam has if you get that version, won't it? This one has been under my radar for a while now, so I guess I'll just wait it out for a while.

I highly doubt it. It will probably get the steam DRM as a free extra. Assassin's Creed 2 also includes the new ubisoft DRM crap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/33230/

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

getting kicked out of a single player game when you lose internet connection... man, that's just unbelievable. To think that this may be the future of PC gaming, makes me shudder.

I'm not sure as to the publisher (maybe ubisoft as well? Is that supposed to be an ironic question?) but it was the last game made by Free Radical (of the excellent Timesplitters) before they went under and killed any chance of Timesplitters 4. Made me very sad.

As for the PC DRM, is this game going to be on Steam? I know most Ubisoft games are, and if so it'll probably just use the same copy protection that Steam has if you get that version, won't it? This one has been under my radar for a while now, so I guess I'll just wait it out for a while.

Generally the steam versions of games are identical to the disc version, though you don't get a disc. I personally have never had a bad experience with any DRM [touch wood], then again I only have programs I use on my PCs.

I really don't see why Ubi are doing this (well I do). There is one simple problem with it, piracy is not the same as lost sales, generally. If anything harsh DRM encourages piracy, the only people it seems to help is those who build it.

God I'm becoming a PC gamer aren't I...

Gameplaywise I'm a lot more interested in this game than the previous Splinter Cells. I don't have a 360, however, and I doubt this will run well on my laptop, so I guess I'll have to pass this one as well. Too bad.

Holy Jesus, though.

I was probably going to get this on Xbox anyway given the horrible DRM, but now I guess I don't have much of an option :fart:

Looks good, might get the demo later.

I played (@Ubi: and bought legally - honest!!!111) the first three SCs on pc with joy. I skipped Double Agent, because it was a half-finished mess (especially on pc). And I think I will skip Conviction as well.

The tagging-system looks boring and smells like fodder for the "they're dumbing down the games for teh shitty consoles!"-faction (I'm always happy with more accessble games, but if you have to shoot people in their faces every thirty seconds, I want to do it myself - this is not what I call "more accessible", but "less interactive" / "less challenging"). That and the negleted AI (wabbling straight to your last known position is not what I call "intelligent") equals :tmeh: at best, in my calculation.

Or to put it short:

Gameplaywise I'm a lot more interested in this game than the previous Splinter Cells.
...not!

I like it, despite the entirely different gameplay style to the original 5 games. As someone who is one of the biggest Splinter Cell fans I am a little disappointed that it isn't Chaos Theory 3. Though this game is looking to replace the original's position in my view of the Series:

5: Double Agent (PS3, 360, PC): Generally this game was a complete mess, it didn't have that splinter cell feeling. Made by Ubisoft Shanghai.

3 (Joint): Pandora Tomorrow: Another mess by Ubi Shanghai, though this time there were some interesting ideas particularly in movement mechanics.

3 (Joint): Double Agent (Xbox, PS2, etc): The previous generations version of DA. Designed by Montreal and running on the Chaos theory engine. Unfortunately it was clear that it was rushed.

2: Splinter Cell: Need I say anything? It was different to any other stealth game preceding it.

1: Chaos Theory: A nearly perfect game, a fantastically paced and atmospheric game. Incredibly tight Co-op and a superb soundtrack by Amon Tobin.

I just played the demo, and had a nice Heavy-Rain-in-slo-mo-style, immersion-breaking moment. When you're crouching, you can pull the left trigger to do a roll. I spent almost the entirety of the mission doing somersaults from cover to cover, only stopping when I had to do something like climb on pipes or shoot a dude.

Aside from that, it did actually pique my interest. I've never been a fan of hardcore stealth games, so the changes to make the gameplay more accessible are a plus for me.

Also, Sam must have some crazy-strong twitch muscles in his neck. He's able to flick his goggles up and down with just a slight nod of his head.