Roderick

The king is dead!

Michael Jackson died from a heart attack last night. That's... not surprising, but nonetheless quite sad! Smooth Criminal remains one of the best songs ever.

Smooth Criminal remains one of the best songs ever.

That's that Alien Ant Farm song, right?

Pretty hard to comprehend he's actually not in existence somewhere in the world.

Now should I start the jokes at the risk of being ripped to shit yet again?

What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Disney films? Disney films can still touch kids.

Pretty hard to comprehend he's actually not in existence somewhere in the world.

yeah I felt the same way. I don't really feel sad, I didn't know the guy; but it is strange that the first popstar I was even aware of, the person that gave me the concept of pop music when I was a kid, is now gone.

It's not going to affect me that much - his best work was when Quincy Jones was producing his music (Bille-Jean era), and after he sacked him, he[Jackson] went to shit I think.

Be that as it may, he had a very unhappy life, from his very abusive father in his formative years to his strange ideas in later on. For that reason, I think it's good he's got some peace.

I guess I never really paid him much attention. I'd basically forgotten about him, so he might as well have been dead for the past few years. I mean, clearly it's good for him that he wasn't, and it's not good that he's died, but this isn't more Earth-shaking to me than any other high-profile celebrity death (which isn't especially much).

I know he had a difficult childhood, and god knows that becoming famous certainly didn't do him any favours... I also know that he was probably guilty of that first child molestation charge (judging by the documents that were leaked), and generally extremely eccentric... And, although I was initially shocked to read about his demise:

I just don't care!

Except I can't joke about it for fear of upsetting those who are sensitive... so I'll just keep respectfully quiet.

I have to say though: MJ was the self-anointed "King of Pop". Elvis was THE King.

It's fine not to care about it, that's your choice but I find it impossible to believe that people don't feel anything for this man's death. No one who has had even the slightest interest in music in the last 25 years hasn't been effected in some way by Michael Jackson, even if it's as small as trying to do the forward-leaning thing from the Smooth Criminal video.

One place where he excelled was his ability to stay cool during the 80s, something which the vast majority of similar musicians (Paul McCartney, Elton John, Madonna...) ultimately failed to do and they're songs which never really stopped being cool; not through nostalgia but through solid songwriting and showmanship. Admit it, anytime you've been in a club and a Michael Jackson song has come on you've never just gone and sat back down because you found it uncool. You've smiled, you've pretended like you can moonwalk and you've mimed to the solo of Beat It.

As for me though I'm still in shock and fairly substantial denial, even 16 hours after hearing the sad news. It's a death I never expected to feel as much as I am right now. Presley might've been the King of Rock and Roll but Michael Jackson remains, in my mind at least, the unchallenged King of Cool.

It's fine not to care about it, that's your choice but I find it impossible to believe that people don't feel anything for this man's death.

I don't feel anything anything other than mild surprise. There's a lot of stuff I don't feel anything about, though. It's significant, yes, but it hasn't personally affected me.

No one who has had even the slightest interest in music in the last 25 years hasn't been effected in some way by Michael Jackson, even if it's as small as trying to do the forward-leaning thing from the Smooth Criminal video. [...] Admit it, anytime you've been in a club and a Michael Jackson song has come on you've never just gone and sat back down because you found it uncool. You've smiled, you've pretended like you can moonwalk and you've mimed to the solo of Beat It.

Sorry, I won't admit it. You're projecting. I don't even go to clubs, because I don't like them. That probably means I'm uncool and socially maladjusted, but it also means that I can genuinely admit that I've never been at all into Michael Jackson. I will openly admit that this was probably largely contrarianism on my part, not least because my sister was heavily into his music, and I was heavily into not liking anything my sister did, and I will also freely admit that some of his songs are undeniably well written and competently performed (others were utterly tedious, however), but the fact remains that the man just wasn't that significant to me, and he didn't have this transcendental appeal you're implying as far as I'm concerned.

As for me though I'm still in shock and fairly substantial denial, even 16 hours after hearing the sad news. It's a death I never expected to feel as much as I am right now. Presley might've been the King of Rock and Roll but Michael Jackson remains, in my mind at least, the unchallenged King of Cool.

See, I understand your appreciation of the man, but this reaction is completely alien to me, and I think that perhaps you're projecting your feelings about him onto the world at large. Or maybe I just have no interest in music. I thought I did, but it turns out I was just fooling myself all this time.

Sorry, I won't admit it. You're projecting. I don't even go to clubs, because I don't like them. That probably means I'm uncool and socially maladjusted, but it also means that I can genuinely admit that I've never been at all into Michael Jackson. I will openly admit that this was probably largely contrarianism on my part, not least because my sister was heavily into his music, and I was heavily into not liking anything my sister did, and I will also freely admit that some of his songs are undeniably well written and competently performed (others were utterly tedious, however), but the fact remains that the man just wasn't that significant to me, and he didn't have this transcendental appeal you're implying as far as I'm concerned.

This basically sums up my opinion (apart from rock/metal clubs). The only stuff I actually consider listenable is over 25 years old. I didn't get upset when dimebag was shot and killed, he made music I like.

See, most of the music I like is from within the past 25 years, but the stuff that really moves me is pretty far removed from what Michael Jackson did, I think.

Farrah Fawcet, Sky Saxon (of the Seeds) and Michael Jackson all in one day. How 'bout that shit?

What did the woman at the beach say to Michael Jackson?

Hey Michael! Get out of my son!

What did Michael Jackson and WalMart have in common?

Little boys pants - half off!

Don't think you can downplay the significance of giving thousands of young boys their first sexual experience?

Whoops- wrong thread.

RIP Farah.

I've got a strong suspicion that, once the details of his death are uncovered - there's gonna be some shennanigans involved. Not foul play/murder, so much as some kind of weird, cryo-immortality-gender-bending-experimental-black-market-organ-transplant type shit...

We will see.

I've got a strong suspicion that, once the details of his death are uncovered - there's gonna be some shennanigans involved. Not foul play/murder, so much as some kind of weird, cryo-immortality-gender-bending-experimental-black-market-organ-transplant type shit...

We will see.

Indeed we will:

The autopsy on the body of pop star Michael Jackson has been completed, but [...] the cause of death has been deferred, which means the medical examiner has ordered additional testing such as toxicology and other studies, Craig Harvey, operations chief for the coroner, told a throng of reporters

Harvey said the coroner has ordered toxicology, neuropathology and pulmonary tests. He also said Jackson was taking prescription medication, but did not elaborate.

Police spoke with Jackson's doctor on Thursday but have been unable to reach him Friday for further questioning, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

A car the doctor was using was towed from Jackson's home Thursday and impounded, authorities said.

The car may contain "medications pertinent to the investigation" into Jackson's death, said detective Agustin Villanueva of the Los Angeles Police Department.