Noyb

Max Payne 3

Mr Payne is older, twelve years older, and living in Brazil. He’s no longer a cop with nothing to lose, and instead is a bodyguard for a wealthy Sao Paulo family. Rockstar have sent over a bunch of images of the new game, showing our favourite emotionally-tortured slow-mo diving dude in the process of dealing with Brazil’s unpleasantly-armed urban underworld. The game is being developed with the RAGE engine which powered GTA4, although with some modifications, including “brand-new particle physics technology to deliver spectacular, highly advanced close-quarters combat” and “an intelligent cover system”. Rockstar also report that “Bullet-Time, an addiction to painkillers, mature themes and Max’s ever-present internal monologue” will all be present in the new game. So that’s good.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/24/max-payne-3-baldys-death-gallery/

Only played the originals this year, and they still became my favorite third person shooters. I'm pretty skeptical at this point with the original developers still working on Alan Wake, but the purple prose of film noir writing in a Brazilian setting might work.

I loved Max Payne 1. You really got the feeling that Max had no where to go, and his only option was to dig deeper into the criminal underground. Then there's the survival mode in Max Payne 2, holy crap, that is so much fun.

Think they'll be doing a take on "Man on Fire"? Trying to find the little girl could be a good plot for this kind of thing.

So... basically it's nothing like Max Payne, but they're still calling it Max Payne.

They might as well call it "Dax(ter) Way3e".

Oh, he's grown older and is now a bad ass... Are there other games like that or am I mistaken ?

So... basically it's nothing like Max Payne, but they're still calling it Max Payne.

They might as well call it "Dax(ter) Way3e".

Oh snap, sick burn yo!

I think I'm going to reserve comment for a later date when we get some footage of the game in action. It's interesting because at this point I feel like it's on a knife-edge in my mind, it could go in either direction but there's nothing in particular that has pushed it either way.

I just finished playing through the first two games and they're still really enjoyable and the gameplay/story delivery holds up really well. In particular, I fucking loved standing around watching the Lynch-inspired "Address Unknown" and I hope the new game can flesh out its' world even nearly as well.

Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever. They'd better not fuck this up. That is all.

So, this is the team that made Bully, right?

I wish they were making another Bully instead of another Max Payne.

This preview came out recently.

I think it's strange that the technical game details are still so heavily focused on here, when it ends up with them seeming all defensive: They're going to have bullet time, but it will not be like all the other games and it'll be much better! And they'll have a cover system, but it won't be the focus of the combat and you can approach it in different ways! And he'll be able to climb around (no doubt the Assassin's Creed climbing 2.0 all games have to have to be taken seriously). If they reveal that it'll be "open world" later on I won't exactly fall on my ass in surprise.

So, they spend all this time describing what could be any upcoming AAA third person shooter, and almost none on what'll likely be the interesting part -- the story of Fat Max Payne in Brazil.

I agree with you guys that it's hard not to be a bit skeptical about this one. On the other hand, I also had no interest in Far Cry 2 since Crytek passed on developing it. I assumed it was just going to be a mediocre game made simply for the sake of having a sequel (like the Call of Duty games not made by Infinity Ward) but it ended up going in an interesting direction.

All I needed to know about this game is that James McCaffrey won't be returning to voice Max Payne. Not that he didn't want to or was unavailable... but Rockstar turned him down and said they needed a more "mature" sounding voice.

:finger:

Fuck you, Rockstar. Fuck you.

I seem to remember his voice being pretty lame and unfitting. I'll have to check some YouTube stuff later to confirm, but this is the first time I've heard someone praising Max Payne for its voice work.

I seem to remember his voice being pretty lame and unfitting. I'll have to check some YouTube stuff later to confirm, but this is the first time I've heard someone praising Max Payne for its voice work.

I found the writing lame (in the sense that it was sorta goofy) sometimes, but I thought Max's voice fit well.

That's kind of beside the point, though. Max Payne just isn't Max Payne without James McCaffrey voicing him. Regardless of whether or not you liked him as a voice actor, it will just feel cheap and spin-off-ish without him.

That's kind of beside the point, though. Max Payne just isn't Max Payne without James McCaffrey voicing him. Regardless of whether or not you liked him as a voice actor, it will just feel cheap and spin-off-ish without him.

Well, I guess since I didn't really think much of it, I don't have any strong memory of his voice, so I probably won't notice. It'll be like them getting another voice actor to do the voice of that lady Kerrigan in Starcraft. Not that I don't like the acting, but since I never heard the original I won't even notice. But the fans are outraged, etc. So the stupidity of the decision to replace Max Payne's voice is proportional to the number of people who still remember, and liked, the original, now six years old, voice performance.

Yeah, I suppose it's different for me because I rank the Max Payne games up there in my 'favorite games of all time' list, so it's kind of like Rockstar stepping on a grave that deserves to either be left alone, or given to the original developers (Remedy) so they can resurrect it themselves and do a sequel properly. I guess there may be a slight case of nerd rage on my part.

ahey, I can get advice from you guys!!

So I got a PS2 just recently, and have been going through some of the best games on that system (there are a ton). One of the games was MaxPayne 2, but after playing the first mission I took a break and haven't gone back. I found the controls to be really annoying and imprecise. There's a whole section where you are walking on catwalks outside a building and I kept falling down :(

I've always been a PC guy and it could be my evolved ineptness with dual analogs that made MP2 seem so painful to play...

Should I play Max Payne 2? Or go on to the next game on my list: Splinter Cell: chaos theory. (playing RE4 right now, what an amazing game... I LOVE it's controls... wrote a whole blog post about them sweet babies)

ahey, I can get advice from you guys!!

So I got a PS2 just recently, and have been going through some of the best games on that system (there are a ton). One of the games was MaxPayne 2, but after playing the first mission I took a break and haven't gone back. I found the controls to be really annoying and imprecise. There's a whole section where you are walking on catwalks outside a building and I kept falling down :(

I've always been a PC guy and it could be my evolved ineptness with dual analogs that made MP2 seem so painful to play...

Should I play Max Payne 2? Or go on to the next game on my list: Splinter Cell: chaos theory. (playing RE4 right now, what an amazing game... I LOVE it's controls... wrote a whole blog post about them sweet babies)

I would recommend playing Max Payne 2 on PC if at all possible. It's really cheapened on PS2 in comparison. It was meant to be controlled with a mouse and keyboard :yep:

Also, playing it with maximum settings on PC is a visual treat compared to the blurry PS2 textures and low-fidelity effects.

Yeah, both Max Payne games are available on Steam for pretty cheap. I have no idea how it controls on a console, as all my experiences with it have been on various computers over the years (It's one of the games I use to break in new PCs. Come to think of it, I should install it on the [bRAND NEW!] laptop I'm typing this from and give it a go) and it's never played anything other than flawlessly. Seriously. Go to Steam right now. They're $10 each, or $15 for a bundle of both of them. No excuses.

So this teaser might be real... Or not!

O0vnwtwsXWc

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

Go to Steam right now... No excuses.

Yes I did go steam right now and put bundle in cart...

I've had too many experiences (3) where I buy a game on steam and then it is put on sale that very weekend, so I'll wait a day before I click on paypal

:zip:

It's $15! For two games! How much lower do you really expect them to make that?

Whatever. I guess it's only a day. As long as you're playing by the end of the weekend, it's all good. I hope you actually like them and aren't one of those people who are put off by the story. I find it helps to regard it as intentionally overwrought. If you take it seriously, it's ridiculous and grating. If you take it as a tongue-in-cheek throwback to detective noir (and how the hell can you not with things like "Address Unknown" showing on every TV you walk past) it's brilliant.

So, MP3 got pushed back propably one year from the latest release date. Now it's supposed to come out most likely in 2011.

Hopefully they are redesigning the whole game. They propably finally realized that sun light, old fat bald guy and no James McCaffrey makes the game not a Max Payne game.

I still think it's a good 2 years off in it's current inception. They aren't redesigning the game, but the housers do play with story quite a bit through the development cycle, so I'm sure it'll get good at some point.

McCaffery tried to sue Rockstar at some point, so he's never coming back; though knowing Rockstar's track record for voice recording and dialog, I'm sure the new guy will be awesome.

McCaffery tried to sue Rockstar at some point, so he's never coming back

So, turns out McCaffrey is now coming back. Also it looks like the game has been completely overhauled aesthetically since its 2009 incarnation.

Max Payne 3 scans

Gotta say, I'm fairly reassured. It looks like it does still largely take place in Brazil, but we're going to see the events between him being a somewhat restored NYC cop and a ruined private security agent in Brazil. Considering the main theme of Max Payne has always been him losing everything, this should work quite nicely. I'd glad we get to experience that, rather than simply starting the game as this bum like everyone assumed.

The key thing is that aesthetically the game now looks pretty awesome and completely in the vein of Max Payne. Pretty much all the screenshots have a distinctly shadow-filled noir atmosphere, and some of them look like they could have come right out of the preceding games. We're inevitably going to see some daytime stuff, but it seems clear that it's going to be less rather than more — and even there it looks a lot more dreary than the 2009 shots.

Hope rising. :tup: