Ben X

'Time Gentlemen, Please!' from Size Five Games

How important is it to play BTDT before TGP?

We sum up everything you need to know from BTDT in about 2 minutes at the start of TGP, so it's not necessary at all. However, to really get the feel for the characters, the back-plot (such as it is) and the style of play, as well as understand a fair few callbacks and fully appreciate a character arc we introduce, I wholly recommend you play BTDT first. There's no reason not to, after all, as it is free and award-winningly awesome.

Also what elmuerte said...

(elmuerte, once you've located the

doorkey item you need from the USA dimension

, and talked to everyone/tried everything, you should figure it out soon enough. If not, I'm here for hints!)

Hopefully this will help us get a lot more exposure and buyer-confidence...

Well it certainly played a role in my buying it. Not that I didn't have buyer-confidence beforehand, but, you know, convenience and visibility and stuff. I saw Nachimir had bought them and thought "oh yeah, those games, I wonder how much they cost", and I saw how much they cost, and went "oh, well that makes it an easy decision". Or similar.

Yeah, when it's less than a round of beers would cost, and supporting indie developers, and they're in the same community as me, then buying them is really a no brainer.

when it's less than a round of beers would cost [..] then buying them is really a no brainer.

Exactly... but that stuff shouldn't happen to often, otherwise I'll only result in a stack of unfinished games.

Finished BTDT... it was ok, had a few chuckles. I think I really prefer talkies. Overall the game wasn't that difficult, although it did require me to drop back to the classic adventure style "use weird objects to do X".

The final rope thing really took a long while for me to figure out

they're in the same community as me

And we're both originally from Nottingham, UK!

i think i'll pickup this one off steam.

Sorry if that means less royalty for you :P

That's great - Steam sales mean a bit less profit, but maybe that Valve will be likelier to help promote it, and host any upcoming Zombie Cow games!

Edited by bbX1138

ugh... just noticed that I was better off getting it from your guys directly... fooled again

(but why am I required to enter all those details, there is no need to know my address, specially not when I pay through paypal).

ugh... just noticed that I was better off getting it from your guys directly... fooled again

(but why am I required to enter all those details, there is no need to know my address, specially not when I pay through paypal).

Don't know about the details - I'll ask Dan!

sjeesh... TGP was quite difficult.

Took me a long time to figure out to turn the dino into oil in order to fix PAL.

I just started playing Ben There, Dan That... and it's really good! I'm really enjoying it! I can't believe I didn't try it out sooner. Great job, bbx!

I just started playing Ben There, Dan That... and it's really good! I'm really enjoying it! I can't believe I didn't try it out sooner. Great job, bbx!

Well, I did tell you..!

What "metal cutting device" argh... Damn lamp post.

You'll find at almost at the end

Some people had trouble with this, as they didn't realise it could be picked up...

I found it thanks to Elmuerte's tip (wasn't sure if it was something I missed from an earlier room). I was looking for something like the "jaws of life" or whatever... So close to finishing now!

Woo! All done! I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed that. I laughed out loud on many many occasions. There's something about brevity that's afforded you when you just do a text only adventure game without having to animate every single thing or worry about camera angles. That was absolutely, totally and thoroughly enjoyable.

Without wanting to go too overboard, I'd even say it was the most fun I've recently had playing a game. Congrats!

It was especially nice to have unashamedly British comedy with British references. I'm so used to having to adjust to American culture when I watch or play things that I forgot that someone could just (very literally) say "sod that, we're doing this for us". Very refreshing.

Loved the characters. Although it was pretty grotesque, that's a very British humour thing and I liked it. I'm also glad it didn't go TOO far or get TOO grotty (although it came very close at times!) or TOO sleazy.

The puzzles we're really good, too (not too easy, not too hard), and I'm very surprised at how original your locations were... and well realized, too. I also really enjoyed how linear it was (not something I usually like) as it afforded you the opportunity to make comments about previous happenings in the game, which really added a LOT to the atmosphere and the feeling of going "on an adventure". (What was the final death toll? Some reference to that or an "In memory of" or something would have been funny in the credits at the end :))

I was also very impressed at how just about every single combination of item gave you something funny or interesting... You can tell it was made by adventure fans who were always disappointed with the stock "I can't use those two things together" endlessly repeated in a game. (Lots of good adventure game references, too ("I'm going to pick up lots of random objects") -- they never really broke the fourth wall, either, as the characters are fans of such games in their world, which is definitely a good thing... It's too easy to break the fourth wall just for a quick joke and I never like it.)

At the end I was left wanting to know what Ben and Dan we're about to say... I feel kinda cheated that there wasn't a scene showing that (I'm sure it would have ended in crowd boos :)). But as the game was completely free, I can't complain at all! (Does the story in the new game continue in any way from BTDT?)

If I wasn't totally skint I'd give you a donation... but when I get some money, I promise that's what I'll do.

Thanks very much for a highly entertaining time! I'm looking forward to playing Time Gentlemen, Please!

I finished 'Ben There, Dan That!' just yesterday, and…what Thunder said. Great game, I really liked it. Thank you, Ben and Dan.

That both games are on Steam now helped a lot in me actually buying and playing them. (Yeah, I'm a little Steam-whore.)

Out of curiosity…

- Was it hard to get your game on Steam?

- How big is the share Valve gets for their Steam-services? (Okay, Wiki says something like '60% for the developers'.)

- Do they differentiate between Indies and The Big Guys?

Mh, most probably something you won't/can't talk about that freely…

- Is there a 'Don't talk about it'-clause in the Steam-contract?

Judging from the minutes I played the sequel, it looks prettier, but still as silly – perfect! And hurray regarding the Balloon-Headed Mexican.

Out of curiosity…

- Was it hard to get your game on Steam?

- How big is the share Valve gets for their Steam-services? (Okay, Wiki says something like '60% for the developers'.)

- Do they differentiate between Indies and The Big Guys?

Mh, most probably something you won't/can't talk about that freely…

- Is there a 'Don't talk about it'-clause in the Steam-contract?[/size]

I'm also interested in knowing such things!

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I'll point Dan towards this thread to see if he can answer any of the Steam questions (I'm guessing he'll be able to answer half of them in a vague way).

Thunderpeel - I think Dan and Ben would probably address the world by quoting the end speech from Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey!

Edited by bbX1138
Too many exclamation marks - ugh