Sign in to follow this  
shawsie64

ArmA 2

So whos picking this up? gameplay looks pretty impressive from youtube videos and although its prob gonna be buggy at first, the community and Bohemia should sort it out.. I loved Operation flashpoint but skipped Arma 1 due to lack of a good PC.

Doesn't look very interesting, how does it compare to the original Rainbow Six games (MP wise). The last proper R6 game was Ravenshield (i.e. R6:3). And I might need a new tactical shooter to play with my friends (in a terrorist hunt mode)

Also... are these Bohemia Interactive Studio guys building the same game over and over again?

I actually ended up buying the German release and patching it with a downloadable English mod and suffice to say it's brilliant. My only reservations concern the sheer amount of bugs (some forgettable, others not so much) and the performance hit in cities (with texture loading galore on lesser systems).

Everything from the artificial intelligence, the semi-dynamic campaign, a greater fluidity of movement, its graphical improvements in both environmental fauna and aesthetic effects such as head bob, sway and blur all add to the experience - and combat is so much more thrilling for it, with huge explosions and plumes of smoke.

It's obviously not a game for strict COD fanatics, or those put off by bugs and occasional sloppiness... but for fans of realistic, large-scale war games nothing comes close (except maybe WWII Online, but that's a bit arse). Fully patched, this is going to take some beating. So far only Bohemia have come close to bettering Operation Flashpoint, but I wonder whether the same will be true of ArmA in the future.

Doesn't look very interesting, how does it compare to the original Rainbow Six games (MP wise). The last proper R6 game was Ravenshield (i.e. R6:3). And I might need a new tactical shooter to play with my friends (in a terrorist hunt mode)

They are different games, but I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy playing it online with friends. There are so many different official/unofficial gamemodes and all manner of missions and variations thereof... and the scenario you describe is perfectly possible.

Also... are these Bohemia Interactive Studio guys building the same game over and over again?

To be fair, the original ArmA was more of a stop-gap after losing the Operation Flashpoint brand-name. This is the real sequel and it shows.

They are different games, but I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy playing it online with friends. There are so many different official/unofficial gamemodes and all manner of missions and variations thereof... and the scenario you describe is perfectly possible.

But how tactical is the shooting. Because we really enjoyed cleaning a map in R6 on the highest difficult setting with maximum number of terrorist. Which usually took a shit load of tries, and usually between 30 and 60 minutes. One shot one kill. Of course the AI was a bit flawed in R6, on the highest setting they would kill you instantly from 50m away when you made the slightest noise while almost hiding completely behind a wall. But that was the fun of it.

Running around a map shooting at everything that moves, getting hit a couple of times without dying, ... that's simply no fun (in a tactical shooter).

I fondly remember my time playing Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, SWAT, etc so I hear you loud and clear, but you can't go running around shooting at everything that moves in ArmA - especially on the higher difficulty settings. If you were to just run around shooting at the first thing you see then you could easily end up hitting friendlies, civilians or much worse alert the enemy to your position and paint yourself a target. You do need to be methodical about how you approach things but it's obviously a different kettle of fish to the CQB of the aforementioned games.

...and it's also heavily dependent on the scenario you play, both in terms of what it entails and the quality. There are so many elaborate things scenario designers can do. Don't think of it as just plonking a couple of men down in the middle of the map and having a straightforward skirmish. There are scenarios out there where you can end up playing for days, even weeks - and these scenarios aren't simply; go find enemy, kill enemy.

I actually ended up buying the German release and patching it with a downloadable English mod and suffice to say it's brilliant. My only reservations concern the sheer amount of bugs (some forgettable, others not so much) and the performance hit in cities (with texture loading galore on lesser systems).

Everything from the artificial intelligence, the semi-dynamic campaign, a greater fluidity of movement, its graphical improvements in both environmental fauna and aesthetic effects such as head bob, sway and blur all add to the experience - and combat is so much more thrilling for it, with huge explosions and plumes of smoke.

It's obviously not a game for strict COD fanatics, or those put off by bugs and occasional sloppiness... but for fans of realistic, large-scale war games nothing comes close (except maybe WWII Online, but that's a bit arse). Fully patched, this is going to take some beating. So far only Bohemia have come close to bettering Operation Flashpoint, but I wonder whether the same will be true of ArmA in the future.

To be fair, the original ArmA was more of a stop-gap after losing the Operation Flashpoint brand-name. This is the real sequel and it shows.

Sweet, thanks for the impressions!. Im really looking forward to it, just pre-ordered on steam the other night. Oh and elmuerte, apparently word on the official forums that the demo is gonna drop tommorow, so you can give it a whirl and see what you think :)

Threadsurrection!

Check out the ARMA 2 thread in multiplayer forums.

You too, could be a member of an elite squad of no hopers and ne'er do wells!

This could all happen on a Sunday night near you.

I bought this last year in the steam summer sale id didn't play it until this past Saturday when I played with some people from the Rock Paper Shotgun steam group. I had no idea what I was doing or what was going on, but it was fun.

We've got some minor discussion of it going in Multiplayer Networking. Didn't realize we had a proper ArmA 2 thread.

I just picked up Arma2. DayZ stories from co-workers pushed me over the edge after seeing Thumbs branded A2 events popping up in steam all the time.

Hoping to hear some thumbs talk about DayZ as it seems right up their alleys. [||]

Okay, Floordje. I feel like this is the right moment.

When I read your post, in my peripheral vision your avatar looks like Sean's, and I sometimes get confused.