Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Who you gonna call?

That's ok, the xbox360 versions runs at 7% of the resolution of the PC version
Yeah, but 200% the price, so it all evens out.

Stay classy, Idle Thumbs...

It's Ghostbusters! There's no room for your pc/console silliness! Look how far we've come!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reE95exnMAo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reE95exnMAo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey, truth be told I'd probably rather play it on a console. Games like this feel better for me with a controller. Still, hard to ignore that Steam is selling it for US$30 and HMV/EBGames are selling the 360 and PS3 versions for CAN$70. That's kind of a big discrepancy.

It's Ghostbusters! There's no room for your pc/console silliness! Look how far we've come!

Sacrilege!!!! The real Ghostbusters appeared in 1984 on a REAL games machine: The ZX Spectrum! (Those were the days!)

HHi4UtCuvNw

I love how there's a vacuum cleaner on the hood/bonnet.

Sacrilege!!!! The real Ghostbusters appeared in 1984 on a REAL games machine: The ZX Spectrum! (Those were the days!)

*snip*

I love how there's a vacuum cleaner on the hood/bonnet.

Oh snap I got totally owned! Thank you for showing me the error of my ways :getmecoat

Wild forum tangents aside, I am digging this game. It has its flaws as it trudges through tired-old Video game territory (throwing waves of stupid enemies at you, really oddly paced levels and direction, etc) and, as a movie, it isn't all that good (Bill Murray really phoned it in on this one), but, strangely, as a movie-game it works well. Having multiple guys trap a ghost in a proton stream, all trying to direct it into a thrown trap is weirdly satisfying. It's also rather fresh as far as Video game combat tropes are concerned.

Haven't tried the multiplayer though, but so far I've enjoyed the game. A good summer game, if anything.

I think the Eurogamer review said it best;

people [get] excited and happy just by [hearing] a computer go, "Nerny ner-ner ner-ner, nerny-nerny ner-ner-ner."

That's why Ghostbusters: The Video game works. You get to play with a proton gun. You get to fire Boson darts. You get to explore the Fire Station, battle Slimer, fight the marshmallow man, destroy the library and hear Bill Murray do jokes. It's all wrapped up in a package authentic enough to make you forgive the linearity and inconsistencies, tied with a big bow made of pretty graphics. And when you open the package the first thing you hear is, "Nerny ner-ner ner-ner, nerny-nerny ner-ner-ner."

If you love the film it's impossible not to like this game, despite its faults. That would be like hating a puppy just because it's got a wonky leg. This might not be the best Video game ever made but it's one of the better movie tie-ins out there, and it's the closest to being a Ghostbuster most of us will ever get.

One more time; Nerny ner-ner ner-ner, nerny-nerny ner-ner-ner :woohoo:

Closest to being a Ghostbuster that most of us will get? Is Eurogamer hedging its bets in case some of its readers become real-life Ghostbusters?

I just picked up the game today, and if Microsoft's repair tracking is any indication, I should have an opportunity to play it by the end of the week. I'm encouraged by the fact that everyone's saying it gets the property right, since really that's all I'm buying the game for anyway. The Ghostbusters-obsessed six-year-old in me isn't going to care if the gameplay is old hat or the pacing is off, I just wanna come home from work and pretend to be a Ghostbuster for a while.

Closest to being a Ghostbuster that most of us will get? Is Eurogamer hedging its bets in case some of its readers become real-life Ghostbusters?

Lol!

Okay, the 360 is back and I've finally had a chance to sink my teeth into Ghostbusters. I'm really enjoying it, though it's the most on-rails game I've played in a long time.

My biggest complaint is that you spend too much time fighting creatures that aren't ghosts and therefore don't need to be trapped (which is by far the most fun part of the game), and as a result it sometimes tends to feel like any other 3rd-person shooter. Also the camera angle, while it's very cinematic and aesthetically pleasing, gives you such a narrow field of vision that you're always being hit by things from behind you and of to the side. That said, busting ghosts is so much fun I'm more than happy to overlook its flaws and just go with it. I just wish there was more actual ghost busting and less shooting goblins in the face.

digging this up, I'm finally playing through this and really enjoying myself. I'm particularly enjoying the quality of voice-over work here. Even with Murray's... casual engagement, Ackroyd, Ramis, and Hudson all do fantastic jobs. really points out how lacking most voice acting is in games (even with the wonky models in this game, I am still engaged enough to chuckle at the jokes and feel immersed when tracking down freaky shit with my PKE meter while hearing radio chatter). I also appreciate that the non-funny portions of the game are actually somewhat creepy! The game consistently hits the Ghostbusters line of funny and this-shit-just-got-real for me as the first movie did.

Talk about this seemed to die down pretty quickly so I thought it would be much more of a chore to play through this. Happily surprised!