zomboid

The sad sad tale of Tim Langdell

It is a joy to read. I can't believe I found myself cheering EA lawyers. They systematically destroyed all of Langdell's claims.

My favourite bit maybe:

As detailed above, the record contains numerous items of evidence that plaintiff wilfully committed fraud against the USPTO in obtaining and/or maintaining registrations for many of the asserted “EDGE” marks, possibly warranting criminal penalties if the misrepresentations prove true. If EA’s evidence is credited, such fraud could (and likely would) strip these registered marks of their “presumption of validity.” These misrepresentations also support EA’s argument that many (if not all) of plaintiff’s marks have been abandoned, which would also render them invalid.

Which is a win not just for EA, but for all developers who have been bullied or may have been bullied in the future by Tim Langdell.

Next headline please: "Langdell to serve prison sentence". Now that would make the world seem like a better place.

Edited by DanJW

Ok so I read the last and first page of this thread. Let me get this right. A guy who made no-name games 30 years ago trademarked a word in the English language and sues people whenever they try to use it? I don't get how this guy was known before all he did was squat on trademarks, unless that's the ONLY reason he's ever been known.

Next headline please: "Langdell to serve prison sentence". Now that would make the world seem like a better place.

I prefer "Langdell regrets 'Edge' lawsuits, apologizes". The guy's a dick, but that's not a crime.

I prefer "Langdell regrets 'Edge' lawsuits, apologizes". The guy's a dick, but that's not a crime.

But falsifying applications to the patents office for personal gain is a crime. All of the licensing fees he was paid by companies using the Edge name was essentially theft. Not to mention the money lost by companies like Mobigames. I guess that counts as vandalism.

Also he's a dick.

Being a video game collector and all, focusing on obscure/bootleg/beta/prototype is very fun endeavor and part of my collecting. That being said, I am very close to considering on purchasing "Racers" just for historical purposes. The history of this douche-bag must be preserved for future generations. The only issue is actually giving this POS $20.

Man, I thought Langdell was merely a horrible, vindictive, petty trademark squatter, but the actual extent to which he went to forge all this shit makes me wonder if he is also completely insane.

I'm glad that the sad sad tale of Tim Langdell at least had a truly hilarious ending (:tup:), although, I expect more is yet to come (:tup:/:tdown:). Oh well, in any case he is more entertaining than Jack Thompson who, I think, is sort of back as well.

But falsifying applications to the patents office for personal gain is a crime. All of the licensing fees he was paid by companies using the Edge name was essentially theft. Not to mention the money lost by companies like Mobigames. I guess that counts as vandalism.

Also he's a dick.

Does this mean that if in fact he hadn't falsified information on the patent applications he would actually be able to continue on his shitty path of money grubbing?

It seems the patent system is quite broken and it's only the dishonesty in his greed that got him caught him out.

Does this mean that if in fact he hadn't falsified information on the patent applications he would actually be able to continue on his shitty path of money grubbing?

It seems the patent system is quite broken and it's only the dishonesty in his greed that got him caught him out.

Quite possibly. Depressing eh?

Not necessarily, because the judge made the point that even if the trademarks had been valid, there was no evidence that anyone would or could ever be confused between EDGE and Mirror's Edge or any other game with a similar title.

Goodbye Tim Langdell! Also, I feel a lawsuit against the guy coming on...

Attached.

attachment.php?attachmentid=593&stc=1&d=1286993702attachment.php?attachmentid=593&stc=1&d=1286993702attachment.php?attachmentid=593&stc=1&d=1286993702:buyme: :buyme: :ancient::wtf:attachment.php?attachmentid=593&stc=1&d=1286993702

Ready for insertion into the forum list. But boo inconsistent vertical-align for non-smiley face images.

post-10-13375603267597_thumb.png