zomboid

The sad sad tale of Tim Langdell

little late to the show on this one... when I got those emails I was curious as to why they would do this as well... looks like they still got what everyone wanted, but why take a page out of the John Grisham playbook to do so?

AIUI, they didn't spoof the email address. They used the IGDA site's PM function to send the mails, and the site itself sets the return address to an igda.org one. They should probably ask their web tech guy about that, only that was Tim Langdell...

EA have filed a motion to have Edge trademarks canceled:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/ttabvue-92051465-CAN-1.pdf

Yay. I was hoping it might come to this. Some time ago when this issue was hot, I took a look at the US trademark law out curiosity and noticed that there was maybe something about TM's having to be actively used or somesuch, but it was somewhat vague. That paper filed by EA mentions some precedent, I think that may have established how the law is to be interpreted? (I don't really know how the precedent stuff works)

Yay. I was hoping it might come to this. Some time ago when this issue was hot, I took a look at the US trademark law out curiosity and noticed that there was maybe something about TM's having to be actively used or somesuch, but it was somewhat vague. That paper filed by EA mentions some precedent, I think that may have established how the law is to be interpreted? (I don't really know how the precedent stuff works)

Well, you see Erkki, all precedents begin as dreams dreamt by a wizard. If the wizard crosses the path of a scorned widow then he shares it at the town council. Now it is a hypothesis and it’s time to drown the wizard. If he floats he is an evil wizard and must be burned alive. If he drowns then the hypothesis is true. The king is told and he consults with his menagerie of birds. If the king is satisfied then it becomes a precedent and law is once more advanced.

is he f'ing f'ing me?!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/18/blunt-edge-tim-langdell-is-suing-ea/

Ok, so now he's taking on a big player. I hope he chokes.

I don't see how you can trademark a single, common word, but even ignoring that, he's a troll. I hope EA fucking destroy him. Protect their IP, and counter sue for defamation and force him to pay their legal fees.

He's like a wind up toy litigator! Was playing Edge earlier today; hopefully it being back on the app store will give EA something extra to throw at him.

I'm still quite incredulous that people were defending him being on the board of IGDA, or at least, saying it was "not the issue" :tdown:

If nothing else, he has balls like fucking watermelons.

Hopefully EA can put this issue to bed, this has strong whiffs of the turkey voting for Christmas.

Jesus fucking christ. He's still at it.

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1778

Cross Edge. A Nippon Ichi game. The developers took down the official site and even renamed the bloody official forum.

Langdell is now saying on his site that they're releasing the game under license from Edge Games, while it's looking like NIC is cutting their losses and dropping support for the game entirely in North America.

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Will EA please hurry up and squash him flat. Like the bloodsucking insect he is.

Thank you for bumping this, I was unaware of Mirror's spore till today. It makes Dark Spore even more delicious.

I actually own Cross Edge... I kinda don't like it... :shifty:

Has "Tim Langdell" been trademarked? If not, someone should... NOW!

He is clearly a troll since he always seems to attack games AFTER they are created and not when while it's still in production when it wouldn't hurt them as much.... :fart:

Come to think of it... Cross Edge has characters from several different companies, including Capcom, so he's screwed half of Japanese game developers with this move.

Are trademarks worldwide? Or does his only affect the US?

EDIT: Speaking of Capcom, when is he suing them for having a character named Miles EDGEworth? XP

I guess I just don't get what he wants. Is it money? Does he seriously believe he'll suck the dry teat of anyone who has the word "edge" in their work's title? Do movies count? Or is he just an attention whore? I miss Jack Thompson.

Anyways, I'm hoping he succeeds because I then want to trademark "the". Maybe then I'll trademark "Tim" and "Langdell". Maybe "then" and "maybe". Fuck, I'll even trademark the letters a, e, i, o, and u. You will call me god. And then pay me for copyright infringement.

Edited by Kroms

You will call me god.

A god without edge?

YHWH

-EDGE

=TDPC?

Are trademarks worldwide? Or does his only affect the US?
Trademarks must be registered seperately for any country where you want to do business. I assume he's only gotten around to trolling the USA so far.

I actually played the Edge game for mobile phones that he suid Mobigame about. It was pretty great and I got it for free from the Nokia Ovi store. Now it's 3€ there.

I played it through during my trip to Japan.

But from what I've read this Langdell guy is pretty pathetic. I don't know what is it with people who try to squeeze money out of other people's creations with trademark lawsuits that don't make any sense.

Nice. Let's hope it does indeed go all the way to 'criminal penalties'.

The judge actually used the word 'trolling' in the injunction. That is awesome.

Second, given the suspect nature of Dr. Langdell’s representations to both the USPTO and the Court concerning plaintiff’s current and future sales and business activities, it is an open question whether plaintiff’s business activities legitimately extend beyond trolling various gaming-related industries for licensing opportunities.

I just read the whole thing. Goddamn... how could he think he wouldn't be caught out? He just blatantly lied over and over again.

'twas a right larf.

I am loving this. Attacking EA was such a clearly idiotic move. I hope he gets life.