zomboid

The sad sad tale of Tim Langdell

It's unfortunate that the author(s) saw fit to spoof the originating email address. Given the nature of the email's content, it's a pretty fucking stupid idea if you ask me.

Only real men have two hyphens in their URLs.

I've been online since 1994, and have never seen any prick stupid, bloody-minded or flat out desperate enough to use two dashes in their web address. Until now.

Why don't you just sue someone with a better edge-related URL, Tim? Even I'd be embarrassed enough to do that, if I were you.

Only real men have two hyphens in their URLs.

It makes me want to register the---edge.com

It makes me want to register the---edge.com
Can you afford the law suit that would inevitably follow?

Can you afford the law suit that would inevitably follow?

Probably not, but theedge.com and the-edge.com are there. The last one is even a parked domain.

and the other important point in that open letter: Mobigame are nasty, bad people that are guilty as fucking fuck of being very mean to Dr. Langdell.

¬¬

For someone who has a legal case, he sure spends a lot of time talking about it outside of court.

Edited by Nachimir

http://www.nu.edu/OurPrograms/SchoolOfMediaAndCommunication/Media/Faculty/TimothyLangdell.html

Education

Ph.D., Psychology

University College, England

According to a comment by somebody on slashdot he's got a doctorate in experimental child psychology. Thesis: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119613303/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

while doing some more searching I found this excerpt from a book:

TIM LANGDELL, a veteran of the game industry, is full-time faculty in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering's Information Technology Program where he chairs the Game Curriculum Sub-Committee, and teaches game design and game testing. Tim is also Chairman of EDGE Games, which he founded in 1979—one of the top games brands well-known for innovative games, games magazines, and games hardware. Tim has produced more than 180 games (including Garfield, The Punisher, Fairlight, and the hit 1980s cult classic Brian Bloodaxe) and written several books on computer game programming, including The Spectrum Handbook. He is an innovator of games education: In 1992 he devised the first curriculum course in interactive entertainment at USC's Film School where he taught for several years. Tim co-founded the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, is a member of the IGDA, a member of the Writer's Guild of America, and a member of both BAFTA and BAFTA/LA (where he served on the Board of Directors).

http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com/1592003737

If you compare that to the current IGDA bio I linked above, he's no longer mentioning BAFTA. Also, guess who registered the-edge.com? The email address ends in @u2.org and the postal address is in Dublin :)

If you compare that to the current IGDA bio I linked above, he's no longer mentioning BAFTA. Also, guess who registered the-edge.com? The email address ends in @u2.org and the postal address is in Dublin :)

Oh please, please, Tim! We'd all love to see you go up against Bono & Friends over that one! :owned:

btw, that book is from 2005, and is about game testing. It's just amazing that the best related reference to past work for Tim is something created in the 80s. Like testing games hasn't changes since the 80s. Like there haven't been any software development changes in the past 20+ years. Also... "written several books on (game) programming, including [a book from 1982]". Could be just me, but I couldn't find "several" books, I found:

- Game Testing All in One (2005), not about programming, but it is about games

- Spectrum Handbook (1982), could be about programming on a Spectrum, but I doubt it: http://www.todocoleccion.net/zx-spectrum--que-es-para-que-sirve-como-se-usa~x8114694

- 35 Programmes for the Dragon 32 (1983), not about programming, but about programs, could be a bit about games

- The Timex-Sinclair 2000 Handbook (1983), could be about programming on a Sinclair 2000, but probably not.

and that's all

"If we do re-brand it will not be because Edge Games has any validity in its claims but because its conduct has made it impossible for us to trade meaningfully otherwise."

This is how real grown-ups talk when the legal gloves come off. Good luck, Mobigame! :clap:

My boss met him once, and apparently, Tim was incredulous that he hadn't heard of him before. Everyone knows your name now, Tim! Way to go!

Everyone knows your name now, Tim! Way to go!

The only reason I can see for him "magnanimously" stepping down is in the vain hope even more people don't suddenly know his name.

Quitting won't help, stopping being a beguiling prick will. These are Wrestle's words of wisdom.

Hah! That and the stolen art used to promote Mirrorsa game fromEDGE makes me think that Edge Games are a natural fit to republish Limbo of the Lost.

It's unfortunate that the author(s) saw fit to spoof the originating email address. Given the nature of the email's content, it's a pretty fucking stupid idea if you ask me.

little late to the show on this one... when I got those emails I was curious as to why they would do this as well... looks like they still got what everyone wanted, but why take a page out of the John Grisham playbook to do so?