Salka

1-in-4 men in South Africa are rapists...

What are you, the Daily Mail? I think it's fair to say that the South African people I know here in London might be somewhat offended by your thread title.

Actual quote: "One in four men in South Africa may have raped someone, a survey suggests."

Of course, that's still pretty goddamn fucking horrendous... Jesus.

Surveys like these and the attention and awareness they generate are essential in convincing the South African government that they can't ignore this issue any longer.

High-five bro!

What are you, the Daily Mail? I think it's fair to say that the South African people I know here in London might be somewhat offended by your thread title.

Actual quote: "One in four men in South Africa may have raped someone, a survey suggests."

Of course, that's still pretty goddamn fucking horrendous... Jesus.

Well, whether South African people in London "might be somewhat offended" really isn't relevant. She also said "men in South Africa," and not "South African men." The article says one in four admitted to having raped someone. It wouldn't be hugely surprising to me if there were at least some others who had and didn't want to admit it.

The reverse might also be true - if rape is seen as macho cred, some might say they have when in fact they haven't. Of course this is probably just wishful thinking on my part.

The article says one in four admitted to having raped someone. It wouldn't be hugely surprising to me if there were at least some others who had and didn't want to admit it.

We should be careful because most surveys already correct that tendency, like for instance the "would you admit that you won't vote for Obama because he's black" question got 5% yes in texas and was corrected to 19% considering the number of people already voting for racist parties and so on. It might have been the same, compare the number of people admitting to have raped someone and increase it by a number of rapes in the country factors...

Might not be saying interesting or true stuff but I thing surveys are to be taken veeeeeeery cautiously...

You might know the person who posted the thread enough to not call her a racist Thunderpeel -_-

There are like... soft ways to say "hey, watch out, you might have not said exactly what you wanted."

also if it's considered manly there might be people saying it but not doing it, also it has been conducted in one province on less than 2000 people and so on...

I just want to chime in, and say for the record that I think rape is totally uncool.

You say that because you've never raped anyone...

According to the article on the Guardian website I read earlier, the reason for the apparently candid results was anonymous participation (by way of PDAs, apparently), so I'm not sure if it can really be put down to macho cred, unless people want to impress themselves that way. I personally think that in an anonymous context people are more likely to deny their crimes to themselves than invent new ones, but I could well be wrong on that. Either way, it seems a remarkably high figure, and makes me wonder if there's something up with the study (and irregular sample, perhaps?). It could even be that the definition of rape has been a subject of discussion recently, and it's causing men to question what they previously viewed as usual sexual practices. Or there's a load of terrifying bastards in South Africa. I don't know.

Two of the guys at work are South African. Does that mean there's a 50% chance of one of them being a racist?

Yes, I know Chris already covered that. I'm just being flippant.

Actually, from what I've heard from the aforementioned South Africans at work, South Africa is in parts a pretty dodgy place. Driving around with your doors locked and so on. I don't know how reliable they are on the subject, but I thought it bore mentioning, and they certainly know more about it than I do.

Wait a second....

Maybe those dudes are talking about XBox Live and this is all just one big misunderstanding.

Wait a second....

Maybe those dudes are talking about XBox Live and this is all just one big misunderstanding.

I'm always kinda surprised by how casually people use the word rape, particularly when talking about video games (podcast included), to the point that now I don't really associate it with such a horrible act.

Clearly we need a new "rape"...something more shocking or generally horrible.

"I was playing Cod4 last night and I aborted like, twenty dudes at once"

Yeah that could work.

I'm always kinda surprised by how casually people use the word rape, particularly when talking about video games (podcast included), to the point that now I don't really associate it with such a horrible act.

Clearly we need a new "rape"...something more shocking or generally horrible.

"I was playing Cod4 last night and I aborted like, twenty dudes at once"

Yeah that could work.

It's a child not a choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(j/k - it's a choice)

There is also a really high level of rape crimes in South Africa, which goes hand-in-hand to support the survey results.

I've been hit on by a number of south african men and honestly, with no PC sugarcoating... a disproportionately high number of them were extraordinarily sexually aggressive and "slimey" ("I believe God sent you, an angel on Earth, to meet me. I believe it is fate. You are the most beautiful women I have ever seen"... blah blah blah). I'm pretty sure that most women who have been hit on by random SA men can tell you it was not a pleasant experience, maybe even verging on quite scary. Whether you want to be over-opinionated in a way that is different from me about it or not, Thunderpeel, as a girl I can tell you that the vast majority of experiences I have had with SA men have been overwhelmingly bad.

Of course this is not reflective of all south african men - I'm not stupid and I don't judge an entire group of people based on a couple of them that I have happened to meet. However, it does seem to reflect on an attitude adopted by an obviously significant number of people in South Africa, towards women. I think it's safe for us to discuss this without being deemed racist ;)

The article was really amazing and saddening for me to read. There is also apparently a high level of male-male rape, which was pretty amazing to me. I guess it is a power thing, but I have never been to SA and haven't met enough real (born and raised) SA people to really feel like I have enough of an understanding to discuss it properly. Interested in hearing what everyone else has to say about it.

Anyway it's pretty fucked...

PS when I say SA men, I mean men who were born and raised in South Africa. I can't think of an example off the top of my head where I've had similar uncool experiences with men from South Africa who were raised in or have lived in the UK for a good number of years.

Edited by Yufster

I've been hit on by a number of south african men and honestly, with no PC sugarcoating... a disproportionately high number of them were extraordinarily sexually aggressive and "slimey" ("I believe God sent you, an angel on Earth, to meet me. I believe it is fate. You are the most beautiful women I have ever seen"... blah blah blah). I'm pretty sure that most women who have been hit on by random SA men can tell you it was not a pleasant experience, maybe even verging on quite scary. Whether you want to be over-opinionated in a way that is different from me about it or not, Thunderpeel, as a girl I can tell you that the vast majority of experiences I have had with SA men have been overwhelmingly bad.

This has been said by a girl friend who spent two years in South Africa and said she had a contract to respect but is pretty much never going back there like ever.

Interested in hearing what everyone else has to say about it.

I might be the prickest prick to say that but a few of the real africans I know form sub-saharian africa have a little problem with domination... Few enough so I might say it might have a cultural origin but not sure I'm not being an actual racist here... I'll ask them to be sure

Anyway it's pretty fucked...

And the worse part is it's against it's will !

The South African situation is not a good one for sure, but what an odd survey to hand out. It's more bizarre to me that enough people would willfully answer that they raped someone to create such a high statistic. You usually hear statistics are lower because people won't admit certain things, even on an anonymous survey. If that is the case here, that's scary.

You might know the person who posted the thread enough to not call her a racist Thunderpeel -_-

Wtf? I didn't call Yuffie a racist!?! Her topic heading was inflammatory in precisely the same way that the Daily Mail makes stuff inflammatory.

I'm not the one whose name is an anagram of a racist word, Ginger.

Tell that to the people on here who have been called a 'filthy yusfert'.

Did you actually come up with that on the fly ? Because it took me like a minute to find...

Wtf? I didn't call Yuffie a racist!?! Her topic heading was inflammatory in precisely the same way that the Daily Mail makes stuff inflammatory.

Oh but she obviously is, you just shouldn't write it on the internet is all I'm saying...