Sign in to follow this  
zomboid

ARhrrr - Augmented Reality Zombie Shooter

Check THIS out... It's a tech demo, but the prospect of playing something like this on my iPhone is exciting.

fun... but skittles are not part of the zombie survival kit

fun... but skittles are not part of the zombie survival kit

Speak for yourself! My zombie survival kit is almost entirely comprised of Skittles.

Very cool. It kind of reminds me of a tech demo video somebody linked me to three or four years ago, but putting all that stuff on a mobile device makes it all that much more relevant and interesting.

Not wanting to board back on the immersion train but, I don't really see why you'd need to make it a zombie game, nobody will ever believe that these things are zombies... Why bother ?

I want to see Games Workshop throw a giant pile of money at these people and make Warhammer/Blood Bowl/LOTR tabletop games with this tech.

Ohhhh man now I'm sad I'll probably never see that...:sad::getmecoat

Not wanting to board back on the immersion train but, I don't really see why you'd need to make it a zombie game, nobody will ever believe that these things are zombies... Why bother ?

Well you wouldn't need to make it a zombie game for any other reason that zombies are fucking cool.

More to your point: the ghosts in Pac Man look nothing like actual ghosts. No one has ever or will ever believe those things are real ghosts - so why did they bother?

I want to see Games Workshop throw a giant pile of money at these people and make Warhammer/Blood Bowl/LOTR tabletop games with this tech.

Now THAT would be a cool use of this tech. Isn't that Playstation Eye monster game along those lines?

Augmented reality Space Hulk would rule supreme.

And lose a shit load of money because of dropping sales in the figurines?

Achievement.aspx?text=Made%20a%20failed%20business%20proposal

If they could work out a way to make the stuff on screen fit into arbitrary real-world scenes without any explicit guides, that would be pretty spectacular. I like the idea of just pointing a phone at something and having a load of virtual crap projected over it and "interacting" with it on the screen, and for it to all scale properly and find the surfaces and so on. I imagine that'd require some pretty intense algorithms and general craziness going on in the background, so the capability might be some way off, but it's an appealing prospect, even if it would end up being yet another tech-demo-toy-thing like most camera-based stuff turns out.

I asked someone your question

Edited by OssK

Question=asked

That's really awesome OssK, I'm curious as to what someone who actually knows what he's doing thinks. You are rad! :clap:

Edited by Shakesbeard

Hooorraaaaay for you! You managed to make a crummy snide remark and continue to run a tired trend into the ground! *achievement sound* Ba-doop!

... but no achievment/trophy?

lame

That's really awesome OssK, I'm curious as to what someone who actually knows what he's doing thinks. You are rad!

Thank you my good man, now the answer has been given and a phone call has been made, I might actually say that what has been exchanged is not to go public for the year to come, but acquisition of such technology is apparently already on the rails... Pretty far on them actually. Amusment Cyanide, their canadian studio is supposed to be in charge of their mobile platform dev.

... but no achievment/trophy?

lame

Haha, actually I was on the tech ninja website thinking up a witty retort when I realized the irony of what I was doing...ElMuerte, you're alllllll right.

Thank you my good man, now the answer has been given and a phone call has been made, I might actually say that what has been exchanged is not to go public for the year to come, but acquisition of such technology is apparently already on the rails... Pretty far on them actually.

Okay seriously you've gotta be pulling my leg. That is too cool.

Edited by Shakesbeard

Not pulling any leg here, you will of course understand how I can't go any further and I'll probably edit out who my source was :)

If they could work out a way to make the stuff on screen fit into arbitrary real-world scenes without any explicit guides, that would be pretty spectacular. I like the idea of just pointing a phone at something and having a load of virtual crap projected over it and "interacting" with it on the screen, and for it to all scale properly and find the surfaces and so on. I imagine that'd require some pretty intense algorithms and general craziness going on in the background, so the capability might be some way off, but it's an appealing prospect, even if it would end up being yet another tech-demo-toy-thing like most camera-based stuff turns out.
It's not quite on the same level, but this is pretty cool: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/01/canon-gets-all-steve-zissou-with-its-mixed-reality-aquarium/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4hwCU-LUSM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4hwCU-LUSM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

they say even Splinter CEll 4 has Augmented Reality, there are objectives projected on the walls of the real world of the game.

Well it's certainly a step along the way, and very cool. I guess the fact that it's fish swimming frees them from a lot of the problems with how to interact with real objects by allowing all the virtual stuff to float in open space. Snazzy.

Well it's certainly a step along the way, and very cool. I guess the fact that it's fish swimming frees them from a lot of the problems with how to interact with real objects by allowing all the virtual stuff to float in open space. Snazzy.
Also, I don't think the fish actually react to people or go around them; it's really just a virtual overlay on top of the real world.

I have a vague memory - although I can't seem to find a video - of a group that did an AR pacman on their uni campus. The player wore goggles that showed him the dots overlaid on the footpath and the positions of the ghosts. They'd mapped out the university campus and set all the positions of the dots with gps, so it was the same game map for every player.

Also, I don't think the fish actually react to people or go around them; it's really just a virtual overlay on top of the real world.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that was the case. I guess it's less apparent when the virtual things aren't supposed to be attached to surfaces anyway.

I have a vague memory - although I can't seem to find a video - of a group that did an AR pacman on their uni campus. The player wore goggles that showed him the dots overlaid on the footpath and the positions of the ghosts. They'd mapped out the university campus and set all the positions of the dots with gps, so it was the same game map for every player.

That sounds great!

I just had a horrible idea for an augmented reality iPhone app that spammers would love. It would be called Prolong Your Schlong.

Another cute Augmented Reality concept. You can play Rock, Paper, Scissors vs the computer as represented by an arm bursting out of your own chest.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIof7yEsOn8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIof7yEsOn8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(From here)

My vibe about a lot of the augmented reality stuff I've seen is that the tech looks interesting, but no-one can really decide how to turn it in to a game. Pretty much only the game in the OP of this thread seems like it has any potential to me.