Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Blood Bowl

This weekend I played a board game called Blood Bowl Team Manager. It's a card-based game that simulates a whole season of Blood Bowl matches through several series of "game highlights." Over the course of it, you build up your team roster, collect additional abilities, and accrue fans. It's pretty straightforward, plays quickly, and is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.

@twmac, I'd be interested in a tournament! I've had this game for ages but only played against the shoddy AI for the most part. I tried a brief spell in the RPS Divisions of Death! which were more satisfying games to play but fitting it into my schedule at the time was tricky.

@Chris, that sounds pretty cool, although my interest in Blood Bowl is the nitty gritty tactics of the match itself, working against those dice to pull off an awesome touchdown. I don't know if a card game would keep my interest as much.

Chris - The Blood Bowl card game actually interests me even though I do like the nail biting tension of the dice rolling and the against all odds moments of the board game, how easy is it to track down?

Mr. C4t - We are setting stuff up on Arcadian Rhythms right now.

There are a lot of rusty players so we are planning a couple of practice matches this weekend just to see how the netcode handles things and also to see how we do.

The tournament stuff we are planning for November. At the moment it is looking like a 1300-1400 team cap and using classic rules.

As for Fumbll, I thought games workshop closed them down? If they are still going it is good to know that there is an alternative out there

There are still dice rolls involved in the card game and you can pull off some great stuff, but it's definitely less focused on that than the primary board game.

I don't know how available it is; I played a friend's copy. At least here in the States it's available for about $30 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Bowl-Team-Manager-Card/dp/1589946901

In case anyone does use Fumbbl, this is my old coach. Excuse the name, I didn't expect to actually be playing it for very long. I loved some of the teams I made in that, and I've just looked at them and felt the affection again so if anyone fancies a game of it I'd probably be up for it.

There are still dice rolls involved in the card game and you can pull off some great stuff, but it's definitely less focused on that than the primary board game.

I don't know how available it is; I played a friend's copy. At least here in the States it's available for about $30 on Amazon.

I smell a credit card purchase as soon as it comes in.

So with Fumble you can play this online, Gwar? because I'd be up for trying it.

There are so many interesting card/board games now that I never get to play because my friends think they are too cool for that stuff.

Any chance I can get to try these things, I'd love to. Plus, I've heard good things about blood bowl in the past.

It's made by Fantasy Flight and their games are widely distributed worldwide.

So with Fumble you can play this online, Gwar? because I'd be up for trying it.

Provided it's still as it was when I last used it, you create a coach and make teams on their website, then for the actual game you go into a relatively basic Java client. It can take a little bit of messing around to understand exactly what is going on, but it's definitely completely playable. All of my teams are in the League division, which is I believe just an unranked area where people can do custom games or tournaments as they see fit.

Oh, except for my team that's in the Stunty League... which is sort of an even more comedically insane mode.

So because of this brief reminder that Blood Bowl exists, I've actually got kinda into it again on Fumbbl. They have a spiffy new Java client for the Ranked and League (unranked) divisions and I've been reminded how entertaining the game is, particularly if you sort of know the people you're playing.

If anyone's interested, feel free to hit me up and I'll help you figure out the website and/or the game.

I'm going to shamelessly necro this thread because I'm getting back into Blood Bowl again. Is anyone interested in playing? I mostly use the free Fumbbl version, partly because of the aforementioned price point and partly because the interface is just a lot cleaner and easier to use.