Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Blood Bowl

So a few days ago the pre-order for the digital version became available and release is on the 26th.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/

For people that aren't or haven't been Games Workshop fans, Blood Bowl is essentially American Football in a fantasy setting where it is played by teams of Orcs, Elves, Dwarfs, etc.

It's rather more brutal than regular Football, as you might imagine. There's lots of injuries, sometimes deaths, some teams are better at running, passing, catching, and scoring (Wood Elves) whereas some teams are better at beating the crap out of the opposing team until there are none left and simply walking to the end zone for a touchdown (Chaos). Of course there are more balanced teams also (Humans).

As you play more games your players can get skills or mutations to make them better, you can get replacements for your dead and injured, maybe get an Ogre or Minotaur to dish out some extra pain, or a Troll if you have a Goblin team, who can throw players down the pitch with the ball.

Basically this board game was amazing fun and now it's available in shiny computer graphics version. The computer game release also features an extra mode which is real time rather than turn based (although tbh I'm not sure if I'll play that mode so much.)

It's a bit pricey, but it's currently one of my must have games. Boxed version isn't out 'till September.

This is pretty exciting, I'm a big fan of the Warhammer universe (despite never buying little plastic mans) and have heard very good things about the ruleset for Blood Bowl. Question: would it be recommended to play this before playing the tabletop version or do you think they're about the same in terms of learning curve? (I know it's not out yet, an educated guess is fine) I've tracked down the game at a local comic book shop but I'm not sure if I should jump right in with that (I've gotta find someone to play with) or get accquainted with the rules through a medium I'm more familiar with (video gaaaaaaames).

I'm so glad to see another sports game where pummeling your opponents into submission is a viable option, there's been a distinct lack of that business going on since Deathrow on the Xbox.

Edited by Shakesbeard

It is indeed a brilliant game, and possibly the best ruleset in Games Workshop's catalogue (compact and simpler than you might think, but flexible and allowing of lots of different tactics). The rules are actually open-source now, in what is known as The Living Rulebook, which you can download on PDF here. There is also a java-based game client a leagues at http://fumbbl.com

If you can find someone to play with, definitely snap up the board game. Unlike the full-sized wargames, a match can be played in an hour or two, once you know the rules. The basic one-match rules are pretty straight forward, and you can add in the more advanced (but very fun) league rules once you feel ready.

I was in theory into a bunch of Warhammer stuff, but I never actually painted very much at all (probably for the better), and could probably count the actual games I participated in on both hands, if not one. I was into the fiction and aesthetics of it, though, although I never fully explored the Blood Bowl stuff. I was interested in it, nevertheless, so I might give this a look.

I think one of the main problems I had was that I didn't really have anyone consistent to play with. There were people at school who were into it, but I didn't know them at the time, and I didn't really feel comfortable fraternizing with the people at Games Workshopses. I did have a close friend who was really into all that stuff, but he lived (and lives) some distance away. He later got into some other war games, including stuff with hexagons and so on. I think he attended some sort of club for them a few times.

I quite liked the Games Workshop game set in the ruins of an underground city or something. With gangs. Well, I liked the idea of having identifiable named characters and the aesthetic and so on. Again, I never really got any proper games finished.

I don't see XBox 360 anywhere on the site, but I could swear I saw somewhere that it was announced for XBox Live. I love Games Workshop stuff, so I'm definitely interested in this - it looks fun.

I don't see XBox 360 anywhere on the site, but I could swear I saw somewhere that it was announced for XBox Live. I love Games Workshop stuff, so I'm definitely interested in this - it looks fun.

I swear I saw that too, and it made me happy. Now I don't see any reference to it on their site. Did they dump that SKU without telling me? (HOW DARE THEM!)

I quite liked the Games Workshop game set in the ruins of an underground city or something. With gangs. Well, I liked the idea of having identifiable named characters and the aesthetic and so on. Again, I never really got any proper games finished.

Sounds like Necromunda (or the later fantasy equivalent, Mordheim I think it was - but that was 'after my time'). There was also an unofficial precursor called Confrontation. All good games.

Blood Bowl leagues are nice in the same way that you name your players and can watch them grow and develop. However it pays to not get too attached to them, as Blood Bowl seems to average about one death per match.

(I don't think I'll ever be able to field a Wood Elf team again, not after I won the tournament... but lost more players than the prize money could account for. At least the small number of survivors could retire wealthy, I suppose)

It is coming to XBox 360, I think maybe in September along with the boxed release as well as DS and PSP versions, which would be ace for commuting.

Blood Bowl seems to average about one death per match.

That's not true at all. You're more likely to get a serious injury if you're playing as a low armour team like Skaven, but that can end in just missing the next game or a niggling injury - which is a pain, but not the end for the player. Those weaker teams often have cheaper players as well, so that you can replace the injured and with the LRB 5 ruleset you can use Journeymen to top up your team if you're low on players.

Sounds like Necromunda

That's it! I was pretty sure it was Necro something.

Anyway, I did suspect that Blood Bowl was similar in its slight RPG-ness, and although I preferred the setting and aesthetic to Necromunda, I think the actual game of Blood Bowl might be more up my street.

Man! I'm really really interested in this!

I'm all for more table top games coming to XBL/PC/PSN, especially Space Hulk and Zombies. SF3D would be pretty cool too.

Want this. One of the reasons I started playing video games more, and picked up UnrealEd, was because I was sick of rolling dice and consulting tables for two hours to determine what happened in the first few seconds of a Car Wars match.

Yeah, and it's easier to find folks to play with and organise a game.

I hated the warhammer stuff, except for Bloodbowl which I became obsessed with.

I never bought the board game but if this comes out for X360 I will definitely buy it. Being a big fan of American football and having a soft spot for fantasy worlds with orcs and ogres this will probably be snapped up by me when it comes out.

when is it due out?

You can pre-order the digital download already, the pre-download starts from today I think and then you can activate the game on the 26th

Retail copies are available from the 26th in France and some EU countries

September is retail release for UK, US and some other countries.

So the X360 release isn't due any time soon?

I don't play PC games (with the occasional point and click adventure being the exception).

It has been announced for X360 on the 26th of January.

Hopefully it will come out in Quebec.

Even though there seems to be a lot of bugs in the PC version, from what Rock Paper Shotgun said (great read by the way) but I'm still hoping some of that has been fixed for the console version.

6 more days...

I couldn't hold out for the X360 release. I ended up getting it on PC late last year and it's pretty fantastic despite a few things. I haven't noticed any bugs yet (don't play that often though and only against AI so far) and there are a few rough edges around it but overall it's a good game. Fingers crossed the 360 version turns out good for you.

It was that RPS article that pushed me to get it on the PC btw.

I was hoping to pick it up at a cut price over Christmas, but I think the discount was pretty measly and I didn't. But I want it even more now that they have added my favourite team - Dark Elves FTW!

Are Goblins in there? I was impressed on reading that, because they're tiny and weak, their rule set in the table top version is built around cheating, complete with rules for players being noticed and sent off :tup:

Goblins are indeed in there.

I just saw a couple of fan sites documenting the leagues available as well as the World tournament they are setting up here:

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/

I'm impressed that there is that much of a community behind it. I don't think it will be the same on X360 but fuck it.

I've pre-ordered my copy and I should have it by Wednesday. Even if the interface is broken I can't wait.

Well I've played it for a week. My main team has been the Lizardmen as I like their balance between big and tough and small and agile. Also Lizardmen are visually rocking.

I'm addicted to it. I got five hours sleep over two days purely on the basis that I wanted to see more of the single player career. The game cleverly balances a Rocky movie-style development. Each player improves but at the same time they accrue injuries or just outright die. Sometimes it will be a player you needed to keep your line of scrmmage together, other times it will be the guy you have lovingly given all the right skills to throw a decent pass and now your offence is essentially fucked.

Been playing it for about 30 hours and the drama present in the game rivals any sports film.

The interface on the X360 is really clean and there are none of the niggling, counter intuitive problems described by Rock Paper Shotgun. My main qualm is that there are no permanent side effects to your team when you take them online and the bext feature from the PC (leagues) have been removed from the MP. Not that it matters seeing as there is no one but me playing this game.

This game is also the prime example of a game that would work perfectly as a Games for Windows LIVE as there are no disadvantages to using a controller.

Alright I am resurrecting this thread.

I caved and picked up the Legendary Edition on PC. Anyone interested in joining a tournament that we are trying to setup right now?

I would note if there are Blood Bowl fans who don't own the Cyanide game (such as myself) who want to play it, you can use a website called Fumbbl. When last I checked the ruleset on there was a slightly older version but otherwise it was a good lightweight version of the game.

Obviously you don't get the pretty 3D models and animations, though.