vimes

Favorite Kid's Book

I would have loved to have Nemo in Slumberland and a Norman Rockwell illustration book when I was 10 or so!

I still, I had The Cité Obscures (best BD ever)

9782203012899.jpg

and Mafalda

VIETNAM-OPA.gif

which were awesome in their own way.

Going through the Comics/Bande dessinées stuff, I really liked Théodore Poussin

9782800120843_2.jpg

which took place in sort of romanticized version of the colonialist era; a sort of Corto Maltese-light.

Going through the Comics/Bande dessinées stuff, I really liked Théodore Poussin

*snip*

which took place in sort of romanticized version of the colonialist era; a sort of Corto Maltese-light.

Oh wow, the art reminds me of a cross between Tintin and The Goon, which is excellent. Has it ever been combined into a collected volume or should I start work on tracking down the individual books?

"A Book Full of Beans" by Richard Fowler. Was published in '78, sadly no pics can be found.

Can anyone tell me what the kids story was where a hunter catches an animal's tail in a trap, or something, and then it comes back at night saying 'I want my tail back!' I think there may also have been some business about him repeatedly seeing a lump under the bedcovers, then realising it's his feet or his knees.

It was incredibly scary!

I can't remember the name of one that I loved when I was really young that involved some kind of blue fuzz ball with long legs that jumped on a mattress or some such.

:shifty:

Can anyone tell me what the kids story was where a hunter catches an animal's tail in a trap, or something, and then it comes back at night saying 'I want my tail back!' I think there may also have been some business about him repeatedly seeing a lump under the bedcovers, then realising it's his feet or his knees.

It was incredibly scary!

I definitely know this one, it was in a book with several other 'terror' stories, one involving a haunted bus stop, another about a mother constantly tricking Death when it came to fetch her baby and the one I remember most vividly, the stories of a boy found a recursive book : the boy was in a old house and in this old house there was a corridor, at the end of this corridor was a cellar and in this cellar there was a chest and inside this chest there was a book, and the book told the story of a boy who was in a old house, and in this old house there was a corridor, at the end of this corridor was a cellar and in this cellar there was a chest and inside this chest there was a book.... etc. Can't remember the ending, but it still gives me goosebump. I've tried to find it online, but couldn't.

Man, you guys in England/France et al. had some seriously interesting and creative childrens' books growing up. I'm jealous -- this was the kind of shit I read as a kid:

cyoa071.jpg

God, I loved choose your own adventure. I read one about apartheid once.

This series was another favorite:

scary_stories1.jpg

Also:

redwall.jpg

But only the first in the series (they were all the same after that).

Ah yes Redwall. I thought the prequel, Martin the Warrior, was good too.

Other good talking mouse books include the Deptford Mice trilogy, which is actually quite scary.

4010837.gif17379099.JPG39885537.JPG

Did anyone else get taught to read by the Fuzzbuzz?

51mlMsKxvyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

that little critter evolved and progressed until finally at about 8 years old you were forced to be traumatised by this:

517GMGDCADL._SS500_.jpg

Huhn. I see that these books are now marked as part of a "remedial" learning scheme. It must have worked because I love reading and have a better vocabulary and grasp of grammar now than the average.

I refuse to believe that prisoner thing is real. It looks way too much like something the SomethingAwful forums would cook up.

redwall.jpg

But only the first in the series (they were all the same after that).

True… Also: awesome book Redwall, first english book I read I guess I was 9 or 10…*I should read it again I must have misunderstood a hellot of things.

I refuse to believe that prisoner thing is real. It looks way too much like something the SomethingAwful forums would cook up.

Oh it's real.

The terrified little fuzzbuzz child has been abducted by The Snagron:

51XYT5SMMCL._SS500_.jpg

hich is saving him/her/it to eat later.

Luckily the fuzzbuzz highland clan band together to come to the rescue (and possibly seek revenge for the ones that did get eaten). Observe:

51X962B1FZL._SS500_.jpg

The Berenstain Bears took up a huge amount of my childhood reading/being read to, as did pretty much any Robert Munsch book.

Where the Wild Things Are, also Just Me and My Dad.

When I was a bit older, I'd read a lot of crappy pulp fiction from my local library that isn't worth remembering the titles of. Also Shadows of the Empire by Steve perry. I remember reading that for ages.

I just need to hijack this thread again for the purposes of this:

figfan05o.jpg

THIS. This is relevant to my interests. Always.

I though we'd be talking about kids' book, with full fledged illustrations, a maximum of 30 words per page and a charming aesthetic.

But it all went back to scary skulls and vampire from space. *sigh*