Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Beatles: Rock Band

I can beat everything on expert guitar and drums, have far too much DLC and have the Platinum trophy, including Bladder of Steel. Rock Band 2 has been the game I've played for about ninety percent of the past year (or two). I love Harmonix and I love this game. I can't wait for Beatles Rock Band.

Rock Band 2 has two non-linear single player modes: World Tour, which is similar to the one in the first game only you can do it on your own, and 'Challenges', which present bunches of categorised song groups which get harder in difficulty, if that makes sense.

I like music and game.

It's for that reason that I gave up on Guitar Hero completely. No fun, just challenge. For all I care, the score junkies can have that franchise.

It is fun to see yourself improve, though, and comparing yourself to others can be useful in that respect. Still, I haven't really done that since Guitar Hero II. (It seems a lot less applicable in Rock Band -- which I guess is your point :))

If only I could 5-star "

" on medium. I periodically go back and 4-star it, over and over. It's my nemesis :frusty:

I'm planning on using Rock Band to learn basic drumming, and Beatles rock band to learn singing harmonies.

Think it will work music-types?

I'm planning on using Rock Band to learn basic drumming, and Beatles rock band to learn singing harmonies.

Think it will work music-types?

It'll give you a start. When it comes to drums, if possible, try and understand what your limbs are independently doing rather than just internalizing the complete patterns or taking it moment-by-moment. I think maybe some of the training stuff in the game stresses this?

It'll give you a start. When it comes to drums, if possible, try and understand what your limbs are independently doing rather than just internalizing the complete patterns or taking it moment-by-moment. I think maybe some of the training stuff in the game stresses this?

I think you're right. Not being a drummer or anything, I think the biggest reward, drum training-wise, you'll get is being able to repeat seemingly unrelated patterns with arms and feet. At first you'll resist it, but suddenly something clicks, and it's magical.

Also, if you're serious about learning to drum, I would probably take some basic lessons from a drummer to get things like pose and grip right. Sitting in the right position and adjusting the set is key to not cramp up. Adjusting the chair a couple of inches was like night and day for me.

...and here's 44 of the 45 songs thanks to Game Informer. Last song is a surprise, apparently (Revolution #9)

Singles

I Want To Hold Your Hand

I Feel Fine

Day Tripper

Paperback Writer

Revolution

Don't Let Me Down

Please Please Me (1963)

I Saw Her Standing There

Boys

Do You Want To Know A Secret

Twist and Shout

With the Beatles (1963)

I Wanna Be Your Man

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

A Hard Day's Night

Can't Buy Me Love

Beatles For Sale (1964)

Eight Days a Week

Help! (1965)

Ticket To Ride

Rubber Soul (1965)

Drive My Car

I'm Looking Through You

If I Needed Someone

Revolver (1966)

Taxman

Yellow Submarine

And Your Bird Can Sing

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Getting Better

Good Morning Good Morning

Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

I Am The Walrus

Hello Goodbye

The Beatles (White Album) (1968)

Dear Prudence

Back In the U.S.S.R.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Birthday

Helter Skelter

Yellow Submarine (1969)

Hey Bulldog

Abbey Road (1969)

Come Together

Something

Octopus's Garden

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Here Comes the Sun

Let It Be (1970)

Dig a Pony

I Me Mine

I Got a Feeling

Get Back

Love (2006)

Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows

I think you're right. Not being a drummer or anything, I think the biggest reward, drum training-wise, you'll get is being able to repeat seemingly unrelated patterns with arms and feet. At first you'll resist it, but suddenly something clicks, and it's magical.

Also, if you're serious about learning to drum, I would probably take some basic lessons from a drummer to get things like pose and grip right. Sitting in the right position and adjusting the set is key to not cramp up. Adjusting the chair a couple of inches was like night and day for me.

They also say that if you're playing on Expert that you ARE playing drums. I think the big difference would is in terms of feedback from what you're hitting. Getting an ION kit with a real-drum pedal that's been modified would probably help.

TommyGun would be the best person to answer this, I think?

They also say that if you're playing on Expert that you ARE playing drums. I think the big difference would is in terms of feedback from what you're hitting. Getting an ION kit with a real-drum pedal that's been modified would probably help.

TommyGun would be the best person to answer this, I think?

That's a big of an exaggeration--it's one I've used, but in the context of somebody talking about actually learning how to play the drums, it's not entirely accurate. That is to say, it's possible to succeed on expert drums without actually knowing what you're doing as a drummer, simply by treating it like a video game where you just have to hit all (or enough of) the buttons at the right time. I don't think feedback is really what makes the difference either, at least rock rock drumming (which even at its most subtle is not particularly subtle). The much more important part is understanding limb independence.

That's a bit of an exaggeration--it's one I've used, but in the context of somebody talking about actually learning how to play the drums, it's not entirely accurate. That is to say, it's possible to succeed on expert drums without actually knowing what you're doing as a drummer, simply by treating it like a video game where you just have to hit all (or enough of) the buttons at the right time. I don't think feedback is really what makes the difference either, at least rock rock drumming (which even at its most subtle is not particularly subtle). The much more important part is understanding limb independence.

Yeah, but I'd also say there is some truth to rockband-as-realife drumming though. The continued coordination of your body in set tempos is a big part of drumming along with independent limb rhythms and the beat trainer gives you a fairly nice starting point to different meters and time signatures (although it doesn't explicitly label them or teach you how to play them per se).

I'm a newcomer to rhythm games (bought Rock Band 2 about 4 months ago) and one of the reasons why I was hesitant to jump in was because I kind of agreed with Prince in that kids could just as easily learn to play real guitar and start awful bands that get them laid in the same time that they obsess over learning fake guitar to get 100% on expert. So when I finally broke down and bought the game (largely because I knew Beatles Rock Band was coming out but also knew I couldn't afford the Beatles instruments), I was surprised by how non-random the drum programming actually was. Yes, the blue pad is covers a range of different sounds but for the most part, red is snare, yellow is hat, and green is crash. It makes a little bit of sense that, if you just move the location of where you're hitting, you could just as well be playing drums. Being an untrained amateur drummer and knowing absolutely nothing about playing guitar, it seems to me that Rock Band drumming is closer to real life than Rock Band guitar.

I think the much harder part of being a "real" drummer is following your own sense of rhythm and time and understand a song's structure rather than just miming what's on the highway. The newly-release Janis Joplin DLC actually does a pretty great job of the breaks and fills with that song but I'm not 100% sure the game actually teaches you why the patterns change and why they change at that moment.

I actually originally wanted to comment on Beatles Rock Band for my first post (btw, hi! long time listener first time poster <barf>) because I'm really hoping that everything I've read about the fine-tuning of the game and the attention to detail translates to a much smoother game experience. I think Rock Band 2's actual gameplay is great but a lot of the interface design and functionality is clunky and unintuitive. I hope they throw some of Guitar Hero 5's features in there like being able to play a song without the bassist without having to back up out of the entire game just to disable one instrument or maybe even change difficulty mid-song at least in practice mode. All these little things added up to a feeling of Rock Band 2 being rushed for me and I hope the game in between songs for the Beatles game is much smoother and less frustrating.

Oh yeah, I also REALLY hope that you can play the full albums or any setlist without a pause between songs. I guess in the context of a live show or whatever it kind of makes sense but for the studio albums it's going to be terrible to keep stopping. Or maybe not; who knows. I'm excited.

That's a big of an exaggeration--it's one I've used, but in the context of somebody talking about actually learning how to play the drums, it's not entirely accurate. That is to say, it's possible to succeed on expert drums without actually knowing what you're doing as a drummer, simply by treating it like a video game where you just have to hit all (or enough of) the buttons at the right time. I don't think feedback is really what makes the difference either, at least rock rock drumming (which even at its most subtle is not particularly subtle). The much more important part is understanding limb independence.

Well from the drummers I've spoken to (I'm no drummer), the biggest barrier is the lack of bounce you get from a real kit... It just doesn't FEEL like drumming, which makes the transition going the other way have a barrier, too.

I have no doubt that limb independence is a huge part of learning to drum, but as that's taken care of by the game I didn't see any reason to mention it.

Well from the drummers I've spoken to (I'm no drummer), the biggest barrier is the lack of bounce you get from a real kit... It just doesn't FEEL like drumming, which makes the transition going the other way have a barrier, too.

I am also a drummer, and I guess to me that wouldn't be the biggest barrier. I'll agree to disagree on that though, everyone has a different experience.

I have no doubt that limb independence is a huge part of learning to drum, but as that's taken care of by the game I didn't see any reason to mention it.

My point is that it's not necessarily taken care of by the game, as I've mentioned in a few posts.

Thanks for feedback, it's been interesting. I will play Rock Band (2) for the first time today when I get off work. I'll try looking for the drum training mode mentioned here...

Fair enough, that's just something I've heard from my drummer friends.

My point is that it's not necessarily taken care of by the game, as I've mentioned in a few posts.

I think to be successful in Rock Band, though, you've kind of got to be aware of the rhythm of what you're doing... otherwise it's tortuous hell. (Maybe I'm just lucky and "got" it?)

I looked up "limb independence" on youtube today, so I started trying to practice with an eye toward that. I put it on training mode->expert->beastie boys song->%50 speed

Hand plays constant quarter notes, foot plays a bunch of out of time eighth notes. I try to get my hand going 1-2-3-4 and get it to ignore my foot.

That beastie boys song is 1 star of difficulty and man, it's tough!

Thunderpeel, what difficulty did you play on?

Beatles rock band is going to be the first one of these I actually own myself.

I decided the beatles kit is just too much moolah.

Do the Guitar Hero guitars work ok with Rockband? I kinda like those better

I'm strictly a Rock Band guy, but my understanding is that you can count on Guitar Hero peripherals to work with Rock Band games, but not necessarily the other way around. I might have that mixed up though.

I'm strictly a Rock Band guy, but my understanding is that you can count on Guitar Hero peripherals to work with Rock Band games, but not necessarily the other way around. I might have that mixed up though.

I think days everything pretty much works with everything, thankfully.

Here's a useful chart :)

http://www.joystiq.com/Instrument-Compatibility-Matrix/

I still feel like one of the best guitars of any game is the Guitar Hero II Xplorer that shipped with the 360 version. I play Rock Band 2 with that, and it works great. I would be using the wireless RB2 strat as it looks really nice, but I don't have one so there we are.

I still love my Xplorer, but my friend's GHWT controller felt extremely similar, too (made by the same peeps, so it makes sense). I'd LOVE one of those "made from wood" Rock Band controllers. That would be particularly awesome :)

I'd LOVE one of those "made from wood" Rock Band controllers.

I had a chance to play with the Logitech Guitar Hero version of one of these for about a week, and I thought it was pretty balls. The fret buttons were tiny compared to the size of the neck, didn't really bounce back at all, and the strum bar was stubby and slippery, hard to get a grip on. These issues probably wouldn't be a big deal for a casual medium player, but when you're paying a couple of hundred dollars, you'd expect it to be the best thing ever.

I did a stupid thing and got another Rock Band bundle when the sequel came out, but I have to say that the Rock Band 2 guitar is the best plastic guitar controller I've ever touched. I've always loved the inlayed frets, the strum feels fantastic, and the guard around the Start button and the auto-calibration features are nice touches. Also, I can't live without solo buttons. If the Beatles guitars are just reskinned RB2 guitars, then everybody's going to be very happy.