zomboid

Edge of Twilight

I just found out about this during E3, and I can't stop thinking about it. Specifically this trailer and how totally great it is. I love the steampunk/fantasy mashup and oppressive/bleak tone. The character designs in the city scenes are also really well done and interesting, but shit you guys... the music. THE MUSIC IS AWESOME! It kicks in full blast around the 1:30 mark. Haunting and lovely with that throaty voiceover (also awesome) and slow-mo bloodsplosions. Very well cut trailer.

I CAN'T SEEM TO EMBED THE NON-YOUTUBE VIDEO SO CLICK HERE, OK?

I found some earlier videos on Youtube - this thing has come a loooong way in the polish dept. I also read somewhere that it wasn't shown more prominently at E3 because of some kind of uncertainty with their South Peak publishing deal (you'll note the trailer has no South Peak logo, even though the website does). Hoping this still makes it out this summer...

Was arcanum that game that never came out that was going to be set in a clockwork city? Really liked the idea of the game and is what this trailer reminded me of.

Anyway the voice over wasn't for me but the setting looked like it could be fun.

Was arcanum that game that never came out that was going to be set in a clockwork city? Really liked the idea of the game and is what this trailer reminded me of.

Are you referring to THIS? Never played it, but I've heard people say it was basically a Steampunk Fallout. From what I've seen of both games, there seems to be quite a few similarities.

Was arcanum that game that never came out that was going to be set in a clockwork city? Really liked the idea of the game and is what this trailer reminded me of

You're thinking about Metronome.

Just wanted to mention that my name is on two, two, gravestones in Arcanum.

This looks really cool. Reminds me in a way of Alice, which I think really (surprisingly) got the steampunk aesthetic down perfectly.

And that Metronome sight hasn't changed in like 2 years. I really hope it's still being made because the first gameplay trailer was just too intriguing to not be made.

You're thinking about Metronome.

Wow - I'd forgotten about City of Metronome, as it was so long ago that I'd heard about it. Man I would love to get my hands on that. Same team that did Rag Doll Kung-Fu, weirdly enough.

It also reminds me of Anachronox a bit. Don't know why exactly.

Based on the trailer I thought there were probably two playable characters, but it turns out the world is split into a day world and night world and the main character Lex transforms into a "Night Lex" in the night world. This is the only thing I don't like so far.

Whoa, that looks interesting. Ditto on Arcanum vibe... Is it just me, or is steampunk thoroughly ignored outside RPG genre?

Whoa, that looks interesting. Ditto on Arcanum vibe... Is it just me, or is steampunk thoroughly ignored outside RPG genre?

Well, there's always Damnation. Haw!

Well, there's always Damnation. Haw!

And that will smith movie the game, can't 'member the title.

It looks gorgeous.

I find steampunk pretty hard to grok, because it seems like it's just an aesthetic. Cyberpunk led me to expect it to have some kind of design or political manifesto, but after years, I just can't see one.

It looks gorgeous.

I find steampunk pretty hard to grok, because it seems like it's just an aesthetic. Cyberpunk led me to expect it to have some kind of design or political manifesto, but after years, I just can't see one.

Yeah, I guess at it's core, that's what I like most about steampunk. It's just an aesthetic framework that a lot of compelling narratives and artistic endeavors can exist in. There's a wide range of interpretations of it which is both good and bad. Good because there seems to be no purist standard for those types to hawkishly defend, and therefore will continue to attract people who love to tinker with and mash-up aesthetic styles. Bad I guess when you see it's potential watered down by the anime/cosplay scene and their super-literal interpretation of things.

And that will smith movie the game, can't 'member the title.

Wild Wild West? What a piece of shit that was!

I think it's entirely possible that someone will eventually make a cool steampunk/western mash-up - I just haven't seen it yet.

It also reminds me of Anachronox a bit. Don't know why exactly.
Same here. Thinking about it, Anachronox is supposed to be cyberpunk and while I don't have a clear understanding of those terms it might be the 'punk' that is similar. The cityscape they showed in the trailer reminds me of Anachronox' Hephaestus. And to go even further into uninteresting detail, Anachronox' cut scene-camera work was outstanding and this trailer shows some comparably good tracking shots. Especially in this one scene (30-35sec) everything some things (animation, the tracking shot, the guy walking could have been made with the modified Quake2-engine) looks a lot a little like Anachronox---really!

Man, I love Anachronox, and I love this fantastic trailer.

The Edge of Twilight looks very interesting indeed – thanks for bringing that up.

Anachronox!

crap... guess I need to buy a PS3

ps, too bad they never finished Anachronox' story, one of my favorite games of all time.

The trailer also has a big Xbox 360 logo at the end. Y'know, just in case you'd rather.

The trailer also has a big Xbox 360 logo at the end. Y'know, just in case you'd rather.

I would definitely rather :)

I hadn't seen anything about this game until I saw the trailer on Kotaku. They talk about it like it was announced long ago, but this is the first I've seen. I'm really excited. I'm not a huge steampunk fan, but the way they've integrated it into a fantasy setting is really intriguing. I'm just hoping the combat/character development is just as refined.

Please don't be mad at me for saying this looks like a Steampunk version of Fable. I was psyched until I saw the combat. I'd love just exploring that world, and interacting with the crazy looking NPCs. Why do I have to fucking fight monsters? Also...I hope that ridiculous voiceover is not indicative of the tone of the whole game.

I had to get my gripes out first, but based on the environment alone, I'll definitely buy this game no matter what.

Also...I LOVED Fable II, so don't get the wrong idea. I'm just not sure this game is being taken in the right direction from the looks of it, but any direction should be worthwhile just for the sake of, as others have said, getting a steampunk game out onto the streets.