Sign in to follow this  
zomboid

FPS/simulation sickness

Sadly, I'm afflicted with this curse. Even some third person games with consistently herky/jerky camera movement will do me in.

Twitchy FPS games destroy me. It sucks because I really really want to play Zeno Clash, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead - but for whatever reason Source Engine games hit me particularly hard. I even tried enlarging the field of view in Zeno Clash, but it still makes me super dizzy after about 5 minutes.

I was able to get through and enjoy Bioshock and Portal - and I even play some of the cramped corridors in Fallout 3 in FPS mode by choice. Obviously, the deliberate pacing of these allows it. I can handle small spurts of crazy (like in Bioshock), but I eventually reach a tipping point.

Anyone else have this?

I used to get terrible headaches when I used to play Quake with all the whizzing around and whatnot but that's the only game that's ever had any effect on me. It was the original Quake too, I think any I played after that were fine. I always expect it to happen though even if it never does.

Sadly, I'm afflicted with this curse. Even some third person games with consistently herky/jerky camera movement will do me in.

Twitchy FPS games destroy me. It sucks because I really really want to play Zeno Clash, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead - but for whatever reason Source Engine games hit me particularly hard. I even tried enlarging the field of view in Zeno Clash, but it still makes me super dizzy after about 5 minutes.

I was able to get through and enjoy Bioshock and Portal - and I even play some of the cramped corridors in Fallout 3 in FPS mode by choice. Obviously, the deliberate pacing of these allows it. I can handle small spurts of crazy (like in Bioshock), but I eventually reach a tipping point.

Anyone else have this?

Source usually does it more than other engines as the field of view is less than that of most other shooters, I believe that it has a FOV of 75 degrees opposed to the standard 90, I think it is possible to expand it somehow though. I have had it with one game (Rainbow six vegas 2) No idea why, probably something to do with the cover system, I didn't get dizzy or anything I felt physically sick, it was not fun.

Also I am a fucking retard for not reading your original post properly.

Yeah, you can change the field of view to 90 in the console - but I don't really notice any difference. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I was so fucking excited to play Zeno Clash because I adore the art direction - I pre-purchased it on Steam. Ugh!

Isn't there a 'head bob' setting also? Turning that down to 0 might make it less nauseating.

Try enabling the not being such a fucking pussy setting.

Thanks for the tip Mr. Hilarious! What's the command line code for that one?

I BEEN PWNED!!! LAWLZ!

I thought you high post count people were supposed to be funny and/or clever.

Low post count people just don't get it.

I think No One Lives Forever is the only game I have experienced FPS sickness with. It may be, but probably is not, that I just played it for too long because I enjoyed it so much, but at some point I had to quit because I was afraid that I was going to puke if I kept on playing. It also hurt my brain.

I feel your pain on this, I get fps sickness and I've never pinned down exactly what causes it. I used to get it in all old quake engine games, but not unreal engine games. Nowadays its stopped me from completing Half Life 2 - I had to play it in very small chunks to stop myself getting a massive headache. In the end I gave up.

Bizarrely though, I can play TF2 and L4D just fine. Despite lots of experimenting no amount of fov tweaking and the like has enabled me to play HL2 without headaches.

No I don't get sick like that but last weekend, while nursing a massive hangover I tried playing Dead Space on my big screen and it made me nauseous as shit. Just moving around, no action or monsters on the screen. That's the only time I think so I do know what it's like.

I BEEN PWNED!!! LAWLZ!

I thought you high post count people were supposed to be funny and/or clever.

That's just toblix. He's the village's idoit grumpy grandpa.

I've gotten FPS sickness since the Wolfenstein days and it's gotten no better or worse as the technology has improved. I generally don't play FPSes because of that but occassionally one comes out that everyone tells me I HAVE to play, e.g. Portal, Bioshock. For those I take motion sickness tablets. I used to take ones that were chock full of chemicals but they made me woozy and unfocused. Also, if anything, they only hid the nausea so when they wore off, it hit me times ten. Now I take these ginger tablets that have no side effects and seem to completely stop the motion sickness.

I've gotten FPS sickness since the Wolfenstein days and it's gotten no better or worse as the technology has improved. I generally don't play FPSes because of that but occassionally one comes out that everyone tells me I HAVE to play, e.g. Portal, Bioshock. For those I take motion sickness tablets. I used to take ones that were chock full of chemicals but they made me woozy and unfocused. Also, if anything, they only hid the nausea so when they wore off, it hit me times ten. Now I take these ginger tablets that have no side effects and seem to completely stop the motion sickness.

I've heard about the ginger tablets helping with seasickness (proven on Mythbusters even, if I recall correctly). I might have to try that. Then I'll just have to wrap my head around this WASD bullshit. Yeesh!

I usually get FPS sickness more when I'm watching someone play, particularly on a large TV. One Sunday, my girlfriend decided she wanted to beat Portal, and then started playing through Half Life 2. By the middle of the day I felt nauseous, and by the evening I was running to the bathroom to throw up, but never actually doing it. Then I realized when I wasn't looking at the TV for a few minutes, I felt better. It's happened a few times since, but only with really twitchy, world spinning first person stuff, and only when I'm watching. For whatever reason, having control of it (I guess it's like driving) makes my body ok with it.

I usually get FPS sickness more when I'm watching someone play, particularly on a large TV. One Sunday, my girlfriend decided she wanted to beat Portal, and then started playing through Half Life 2. By the middle of the day I felt nauseous, and by the evening I was running to the bathroom to throw up, but never actually doing it. Then I realized when I wasn't looking at the TV for a few minutes, I felt better. It's happened a few times since, but only with really twitchy, world spinning first person stuff, and only when I'm watching. For whatever reason, having control of it (I guess it's like driving) makes my body ok with it.

I can play Bioshock for a couple hours and be fine, but watching someone else play it for 5 minutes and I'm ready to fucking die.

technically, Portal is not an FPS, it's more like an FPPG

It may be, but probably is not, that I just played it for too long because I enjoyed it so much, but at some point I had to quit because I was afraid that I was going to puke if I kept on playing.

"So awesome I puked all over my keyboard. My fingers are knuckle-deep in vom." - IGN.com

technically, Portal is not an FPS, it's more like an FPPG
I would still call it an FPS. Portal Guns shoot portals, after all.

Would be like calling Halo an FPAAW or Bioshock an FPGMH.

Advanced Alien Weaponry and Genetically Modified Hand, before you ask,

By that logic Portal would be an RTS game as well, because you are required to execute your strategy to solve the puzzle in real time. Just because a game is first person and as some sort of people like object doesn't make it a first person shooter.

:clap:

turn based strategy games aren't

Haha that is the best reply I have seen on the internet for quite a while.