I am wary of this movie. It had damn well better be good.

EDIT: Anyone notice, in the last part, in the upper left hand corner, 42 is written in the stars?

Saying there's nothing there is largely false. It's definitely okay and probably advised to be wary of the movie, but the humorous use of "Don't Panic," and the celestial 42 at the end of the trailer at least show that they have some grasp of what the movie should be... or at least some grasp of how to market it. Will the script, performances, and set decor be good? That is something you can't tell until the movie comes out, but at least they're trying to send signals now that they know what's going on.

The teaser says, pretty effectively, "Yes, this is the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, here are some key references that you remember from the books, it isn't transformed into a retarded Bruckheimer action drama and it hasn't been re-adapted into a live action Titan A.E." I would have less doubts if, instead of the stylized thumb logo* they had made the stars form into the smiling, tongue-sticking-out planet logo, but whatever. You don't want these things to be too reassuring, right? Okay maybe you do, whatever. I am getting the same feelings about the H2G2 teaser that I got about the initial extremely cheezy / borderline camp Pirates of the Caribbean teaser with the waves that kept obliterating the titles, and the skeleton foot, and that can't be a bad sign.

* that isn't to say I'm opposed to thumb logos as a rule, obviously. i'm just talking about in terms of fan-assurance, the trailer did what little it did very right, except for that thumb.

I never much carried for the "smiling, tongue-sticking-out planet logo", as Jake put it. I much prefer the orignal covers with the colored spheres. Now those were cool. :sombrero:

Also, have you guys seen the current cast listing on IMDb? Now, I'm not against Mos Def as Ford (at least not until I've actually seen him at the part), but Warwick Davis seems like an awefully odd choice for Marvin. Again, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it is odd none the less. Here's a link to a BBC interview on the casting. I actually haven't read it yet, but I might get around to it tomorrow sometime.

As I was writing this I found this link showing a prototype for Marvin. It could be interesting... at least it's clear why they got Warwick for the part. There's also a clip of it in action over on the official blog. It kinda remindes me of this shirt design from threadless.com.

Hmm... I'll have to read this tomorrow too.

Sorry for the rambling.

I don't much care for the way Martvin* looks. I always thought of him as unhuman-like as the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey...

*) Martin is the mysanthrope from an altogether different book...

Now, I'm not against Mos Def as Ford (at least not until I've actually seen him at the part)

And why would you be?

And why would you be?

Gah! All these questions! I can't take all these questions!!!

Nobody's mentioned this over here yet (I linked to it on AG and nobody replied :)), so here goes:

http://www.abovethetitle.com/content/programmes/hitchhikers/audio/hhgttg.mp3

That's the promo for the new HHG radio show that Radio 4 will be airing, featuring the entire original cast (except the late Peter Jones) and none other than Douglas Adams as Agrajag.

Didn't Douglas Adams, like, die a short while before the production of the movie started? :blink:

Didn't Douglas Adams, like, die a short while before the production of the movie started? :blink:

Yes he did. But he recorded the Agrajag lines years and years ago, because he said he really wanted to play that part if there was ever another radio series :)

And why would you be?

Why? Because, if he sucks at it then I obviously won't like him as Ford, but he could do a great job. Seems logical not to hate him until you've seen what he can do.

I always imagined Marvin as one of those 60ies tin can robots with rubber tubes as arms. I'm glad whoever designed Marvin for the movie has a better imagination than I have. It looks really good.

The trailer is also top notch. The use of Don't Panic had me laughing out loud. I'm definitely reassured for the moment.

Is Marvin better off CG or a puppet like thingy that he appears to be going to be? Thoughts?

He's neither puppet nor CG, he's a guy in a suit.

He's neither puppet nor CG, he's a guy in a suit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just didn't know what to call it.

Well, a guy in a suit could constitute a puppet. What is Big Bird if not a puppet?

Don't answer that because you will just sound dumb and we both know I am right.

Well, a guy in a suit could constitute a puppet. What is Big Bird if not a puppet?

Don't answer that because you will just sound dumb and we both know I am right.

Uh... a really big bird? :erm:

Yep. Puppetry is basically the art of bringing life to an inanimate figure. So a guy in a suit is still technically a puppeteer. When you think about it, there's not really a lot of difference between a hand puppet and big bird.

Why? Because, if he sucks at it then I obviously won't like him as Ford, but he could do a great job. Seems logical not to hate him until you've seen what he can do.

But clearly you could say that for any cast member. Why him?

But clearly you could say that for any cast member. Why him?

Because it appears that some people have a problem with him being darker and all. At least, they appeared to have a lot of threads about it on IMDb.

Because it appears that some people have a problem with him being darker and all. At least, they appeared to have a lot of threads about it on IMDb.

Well, as Douglas Adams himself said, "When it comes down to it, my principle is this - Arthur should be British. The rest of the cast should be decided purely on merit and not on nationality." So really, it shouldn't even be a point of issue. Frankly, I think he's an excellent choice, based purely on what I've heard about the guy, that is. And as someone else pointed out, Trillian has been described as looking somewhat Arabic but the actor playing her is white and nobody seems to care about that. I wonder why...

I've only seen Mos Def in one movie, The Italian Job. Wasn't really the greatest movie, but he was pretty funny in it though. Jason Statham as Hansom Rob was the best though. Man, I can't wait till I can see Snatch.