Right, so, we're still playing every Sunday night on Steam at 9pm BST.

Last night, we had enough people to play Versus for the first time in a while. It kind of went like this:

pnRVIC7kS4s

I liked it when I was on the winning team.

Nah, it was good fun. I liked my first appearance as tank. That was pretty sweet.

So much fun!

I can't believe my laptop froze for a few minutes right at the end of the Mercy Hospital finale. I'll try and tone down the graphics next time we play. :fart:

I was having some rather alarming performance issues yesterday, too. Having just switched to Windows 7 RC1 in the week, I hadn't thought to manually update the bundled Nvidia drivers to the latest "proper" feature release from Nvidia themselves. :fart:

So I did this after we finished last night and, while the framerate is higher and smoother, it doesn't seem to be anything like as slick and detailed as it was on XP. :hmph:

I can't believe my laptop froze for a few minutes right at the end of the Mercy Hospital finale. I'll try and tone down the graphics next time we play. :fart:

I assumed you guys were both caught up in zombie havock, but afterwards ysbreaker did mention that you were just standing there as we died. I like to imagine his desperation and incomprehension of your apparent cold indifference to our fate.

I was having some rather alarming performance issues yesterday, too. Having just switched to Windows 7 RC1 in the week, I hadn't thought to manually update the bundled Nvidia drivers to the latest "proper" feature release from Nvidia themselves. :fart:

So I did this after we finished last night and, while the framerate is higher and smoother, it doesn't seem to be anything like as slick and detailed as it was on XP. :hmph:

I'll hold off on the whole Windows 7 thing for a while, then. Perhaps it would be a good idea to set up a dual-boot arrangement.

I have a bunch of broken hard disks. Some of them might not even have anything incriminating on them! They're pretty broken, though.

Or you could just set up a partition. Or perhaps you don't have enough space to be throwing around willy-nilly.

Willy.

I have a bunch of broken hard disks. Some of them might not even have anything incriminating on them! They're pretty broken, though.

I could use those! I want to make rotary controllers, magnetic doorstops and crappy speaker arrays out of old hard drives, but can never get enough of them. How much would you want for them with postage? Or are you anywhere near Nottingham?

...really? :erm:

Waits nervously for 8 more threads of a similar theme to appear...

Sure, why not? But you can buy a sparkly new disk for practically nothing these days. (I only know play.com as a UK shop, I bet you can get them cheaper, here's the link anyway)

I could use those! I want to make rotary controllers, magnetic doorstops and crappy speaker arrays out of old hard drives, but can never get enough of them. How much would you want for them with postage? Or are you anywhere near Nottingham?

a) I'm in Surrey, so not especially near Nottingham

B) When I say "a bunch", it's probably more like two or three. But I don't generally throw that sort of stuff away. Do you have any use for a broken PSU that I opened up out of the sort of curiosity that doesn't lead to any actual knowledge (it's not like I learnt anything by looking at the mess of wires and stuff in there)?

If a couple of hard disks would be worth your time, though, I'll see if I can find them in the horrible mess I keep things in. I make no promises about promptness, however.

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

I now have Left 4 Dead downloaded and installed (after sitting in my Steam queue for two months :shifty:) and can now join in on the carnage!

farnsworth.jpg

Shame about the timing, n0wak - we were just at the final "escape" scenario when you msg'd me and had no spare slots.

We played Versus again last night, with a full house. There were some very, ah, "short" encounters throughout, but at least one team made it into the helicopter.

I'm still finding the Infected quite difficult to play as, though I think that's mainly down to tactics and organisation (or lack thereof). Whilst I was sceptical originally, I do think voice comms play quite a large part in success--especially when you need to co-ordinate against another team.

Still, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed being the tank a couple of times.

I'm still finding the Infected quite difficult to play as, though I think that's mainly down to tactics and organisation (or lack thereof).

Yeah, I always feel like I should be co-ordinating more with my team, but when it comes to it I can't really think of much in the way of tactics other than "pick on the guy at the back" or "wait until we've all spawned so we can all attack at once", and I usually don't even bother vocalizing those.

Whilst I was sceptical originally, I do think voice comms play quite a large part in success--especially when you need to co-ordinate against another team.

Playing team-based multiplayer games on PC and PS3 brings home what a difference packing a microphone as standard makes. Even if the majority of players do have a microphone, there isn't the assumption that there will be voice chat, so I think people are more reluctant to be chatty. There's a kind of critical mass problem -- for me at least -- where if there isn't enough general chatter going on I feel a bit awkward about speaking myself. Which doesn't necessarily stop me (sorry for my incessant inanities, everyone), but it does make things a bit less natural. When I'm playing with the other Dan (as in my friend who joined us last week) we natter away pretty much constantly, and that makes me feel more at-ease, which is nice, even if we're not actually arranging any particularly deep strategies. I guess it might be annoying for others, though.

I don't mean to criticize less vocal players -- I always have a great time with you guys -- it's just something that strikes me when we play.

Still, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed being the tank a couple of times.

Definitely. I had two goes, each resulting in annihilation. I was a bit confused and lost at first on the finale, but I managed to leave most of the opposing team dangling off disparate ledges, which is always the danger on that rooftop.

Was it me, or was there an unusually high number of tanks last night?

I'm the same James - hesitant to be the first person to speak. If the airwaves are quiet then I will type instead. But yes, I think having the whole team on mics does give them an edge.

Infected tactics also include picking ambush spots, since some places are especially good for breaking up the survivors (most people know the hospital rooftop one); and also picking targets (you pounce on Francis, then when Bill goes to help him I'll strangle the sucker).

Other than that I think it's just reaction times. If a survivor wanders off from the group, you can type "get him", but shouting it in an overexcited high pitched voice gives the infected a few extra seconds to make him regret it.

Tanks seemed normal to me. One per map, with extra smashing.

It was a good game last night. Although our team won, it never felt 'easy'.

So, TF2 this week eh? I will dazzle you all with my non-existent spy skills!

I will piss in all your faces.

This is a correct TF2 reference, right?

Infected tactics also include picking ambush spots, since some places are especially good for breaking up the survivors (most people know the hospital rooftop one); and also picking targets (you pounce on Francis, then when Bill goes to help him I'll strangle the sucker).

One I forgot: get vomit over as many of them as possible, then pounce on the rest of them while their teammates are still blinded.

Tanks seemed normal to me. One per map, with extra smashing.

In my experience it's been averaging less than two before the last map, I think. Perhaps my experience has been limited and unusual.

It was a good game last night. Although our team won, it never felt 'easy'.

That's definitely important. It's not normally any fun to feel like you haven't a hope of victory, and it's not much better to suspect that the opposition feels that way. Well, a well-fought battle can end with the survivors being thoroughly demolished, but they have to go into it with at least some hope of pulling through, I think.

I shouldn't overplay all this stuff, I suppose. It's always a good time. But it's more satisfying when it's a roughly even match.

I will piss in all your faces.

I will piss on all your faeces.

You're overplaying it, man. Mellow that shit down, kemosabe.

"We can still see you, Dan..."

That is, in fact, exactly how I feel when I play spy. I'm kind of bored of all the other classes and want to play more spy, but there seems to be some kind of bug where a giant neon flashing sign follows me about saying "Here he is!"

I haven't tried the spy, but that description reminds me of how I feel when trying to play as a sniper in any game ever. I can be playing as any other class and be making my own merry way around, only to be sniped dead over and over, but when I play as the sniper suddenly there are no effective hiding spots and everyone can spot me within two seconds of settling on a spot.