Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Scribblenauts

I adore ALWW, it's totally unique and I love Ashley's voice, the perfect stoner lilt.

Well put.

When's it out?

Scibblenauts is currently scheduled for release on September 15th. If you want to try and win a copy, check out Edge Online's contest which consists of solving one of the game's later challenges (you are suspended from the ceiling [via top hat & rope] over a pool of lava next to a cage which contains your goal, a starite) using five words. Any ideas? :erm:

Maybe :

magnet (to get attracted to the second steel thing) scissor (to cut your own rope) axe/key (to bust the cage open) ?

I think that the problem with most of the above ideas is that once they appear, they'll immediately fall in to the lava. So you need to start off with something heat resistant as a platform.

How much does the game's character actually do? I mean, if you type 'grappling hook', will he throw it and swing on it, or will it just dangle off the cage waiting for something else to be attached to it?

This game will ruin GameFAQs.

"So, to get the cat of the roof, all you need to do is use a mouse, or a squirt gun, or a bazooka, or a helicopter, or a giraffe, or..."

Wow, I got it yesterday, and this game really highlights how I've lost (if I ever had it) my childlike playfulness and imagination. Instead of creating wondrous solutions using whatever my mind can think of, I keep attacking these puzzles like I do modern games with "puzzle elements", like Tomb Raider or Arkham Asylum. There's something higher up: jetpack. There's a creature: gun. There's something I have to move: grapple. What do I need a T-Rex for? That's not a part of the limited set of specific tools I've become dependent upon having at my disposal.

It was really sad to play that game. It made me feel old, dumb and boring.

This game really highlights how I've lost ... my childlike playfulness and imagination.

-- IGN.com

But I do agree. I'm less disappointed in Scribblenauts than I am in myself.

A little part of me dies every time I type "jetpack". But I can honestly think of almost no other item that will let me reach the second floor of just about any of Scribblenauts's levels.

All of the below items fail to get me one story higher:

1. trampoline
  2. pogo stick
  3. escalator
  4. ladder
  5. mattress
  6. climbing gear

And just about every level of Scribblenauts demands that you move somewhere higher than you can jump. So jetpack it is.

Wings, pegasus, giant eagle, whatever. Remember, flying creatures can be ridden. Also, gyrocopter.

Enter "baby" into the notepad. It's simpler than you make it sound. If you're having difficulty, enter "nursemaid."

I failed at intentionally trying to kill a baby. What good are ovens if they don't cook everything made of meat?

Ooooh... I spent five minutes today trying to remember the word 'pterodactyl' when I had to fly across a gap. I went with 'Pegasus' instead, which is now my favourite item. 'Fishing Rod' is #2. Riding Pegasus whilst holding a fishing rod and using it to pick up items = my favourite activity.

As for the controls, they're a little confusing but I'm getting my head around them. I'm still a bit confused about the gamespace layers. In the level where you have to knock down the glass bottles, a rhino just ran in front of the platform instead of bashing it to smithereens. I tried to block some ants with a huge mountain, but they just walked right on by as if it weren't there. Other than that, my only complaint is that they have Ra but no Greek or Norse gods. Trying out the Roman ones just ended up with planets.

I was teaching a class today (I run tutes at my uni) and a guy up the back was playing with his NDS Original. I initially told him to turn it off, but when he said he was playing Scribblenauts, I allowed him to carry on and give a running commentary to the rest of the class. It's amazing how quickly this game has breached in to cultural awareness (at least within the confines of a nerdy tech-focused university) when you take in to account that it was only released in Australia yesterday. So much so that I'm going to use the hat I got for pre-ordering the game from EB and dress as Maxwell for Hallowe'en.

So more scribblenauts adventures. I'm really into this game right now, I think I take my DS lite with me everywhere just incase I get the urge to play. (Oh and I bought a DS just for this game) The controls are admitedly weird, but I haven't found much yet that really really frustrates me about it. Plus, when all else fails, spawn death and have him deal with your enemies. What a friend to have indeed.

Though the idea is amazing, I think its implementation is terrible. I reviewed the game over on my blog, because it is one of the more interesting releases as of late, and in doing so I learned to hate it.

It sounds sufficiently silly to make a little bit of play fun for someone who's easily amused. Are most people still enjoying it? Do you guys think that the novelty is enough to make it worth buying? I was so stoked about it!

I'm enjoying it, but it definitely requires patience from time to time. I bought Mario and Luigi on the same day, and have put about 15 hours into that since, so you can see what is eating up my portable gaming time, but Scribblenauts is still fun.

Since this is the only ds game I have, I'm putting alot of time into it. I find that the way they unlock levels, if I get frustrated because of level design and poor controls somewhere, I can almost always skip to something else and come back. For me the 'ollars mechanic of unlocking things helps with the control issues.