Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Red Faction: Guerilla

It's remarkably fun. I was sold on it the instant I used a charge to embed an enemy soldier in the floor. As in, I blew his corpse across a building and when I went to see it, he was halfway to the floor below. The impact of his landing created a hole in the floor his body was resting in. So awesome.

I got Space Asshole from the holiday sale, but it's just not clicking for me. It seems like a complete bullshit game. I admit, it may be because my PC can't handle it properly. It just hangs for 10s of seconds or even minutes at times, sometimes during a building collapsing, sometimes when a video/audio message plays, sometimes when I switch a weapon.

I may decide to get a new PC sometime soon, so I'll give it another shot then. Don't want to miss the fun just because the machine is too weak for it.

I got Space Asshole from the holiday sale, but it's just not clicking for me. It seems like a complete bullshit game. I admit, it may be because my PC can't handle it properly. It just hangs for 10s of seconds or even minutes at times, sometimes during a building collapsing, sometimes when a video/audio message plays, sometimes when I switch a weapon.

I may decide to get a new PC sometime soon, so I'll give it another shot then. Don't want to miss the fun just because the machine is too weak for it.

Yeah the requirements are pretty high, it seems to be a very CPU intensive game, I'm running it pretty much at full settings and it never drops below 30 fps, weirdly it doesn't make full use of a quad core processor, if it did I am sure I could run it at a constant 60fps. Though it doesn't change my enjoyment I have had so far, or will continue to have.

Did you get the latest patch?

If you're using steam, then it could be an old version - it won't automatically update unless you log into GFW and register your serial key. They also released a stand-alone patch like today or yesterday.

I don't know if it will solve your problem, but it definitely fixed the glitches I was experiencing.

When I say "Yes" when Windows Live asks to download an update, the game crashes :( Anyway, I uninstalled it already, will try again whenever I get a new PC.

This is one of those games I trade in for store credit and then wish I still had so I could muck about with it every once in a while (also see: Prototype).

When I say "Yes" when Windows Live asks to download an update, the game crashes :( Anyway, I uninstalled it already, will try again whenever I get a new PC.

For the GFWL patch not working, Steam supposedly patched the game on the 14th so the GFWL patch will install correctly. If it won't, they suggest verifying the integrity of the game cache (Right click on the game in steam>Properties>Local Files). If it still won't, I found a topic in the Steam forums where the guy just posted a link to the patch files he himself put up, they worked for me and I didn't get any viruses or anything.

As for the game itself, I really wish my USB wireless receiver for my xbox controller hadn't quit out on me, this game seems like it's much more suited for a controller.

Yeah, when I play it I've switched from hunching over the coffee table with my laptop keyboad and mouse to lying in bed with my laptop next to me playing with my 360 wired pad. It's pretty excellent in this setting. Especially with headphones on.

This is getting a remastered edition, and you may just recognise the track they used for the official trailer:

HOLY SHIIIIT!

I mean they kinda ruined the joke with aggressive trailer editing requirement of shit blowing up every 5 seconds instead of letting it build to the chorus

but still :clap:

Wow. I'm just flabbergasted that they used that song.

Actually, after a minute I did feel like somebody came in at the very last second and swapped a different song for this one right before they uploaded the video. Really bizarre decision there...

Anyway Red Faction Guerrilla is one of my favorite games on the 360. I even just brought it up at work yesterday, saying that the multiplayer was a cool, unique game.

I'm doing a lot of console porting and optimization these days, and holy moley; this game running on a 360 is a pure miracle of science to me now. I was impressed then, and in retrospect I'm just blown away. -IGN.com

I bet there's more to do with these tools and this design, but I understand that Volition is not the studio it used to be any more. I think??

...wow this trailer really doesn't show a clean shot of you knocking down a building for like 30 seconds. Who in the world made this?

On 6/4/2018 at 11:20 PM, Ben X said:

This is getting a remastered edition, and you may just recognise the track they used for the official trailer:

HOLY SHIIIIT!

I opened this thread, saw the embedded video and though "ah man what if they used Chris's song", then I read your post.

That's amazing!! But it was kind of distracting, I didn't even read any of the text. Kudos to whoever chose to whoever okayed that.

I'm a bit conflicted, because the original song was a critique of the game's paper-thin justification for running around and breaking shit, and using it as trailer music completely neuters the critique. It's like Republicans using Bruce Springsteen songs at campaign rallies, or the Dove Real Beauty campaign. There's a real critique there, and turning it into advertising lets the company safely dispose of it.

On the other hand, it's a remaster of a nearly decade-old game, and it's no longer as acceptable for new games to ride roughshod over their own fiction in the same way, due in part to games Idle Thumbs hosts have worked on. So maybe the critique of the game isn't potent any more.

(You can tell I don't think much of culturejamming.)

6 hours ago, Merus said:

I'm a bit conflicted, because the original song was a critique of the game's paper-thin justification for running around and breaking shit, and using it as trailer music completely neuters the critique. It's like Republicans using Bruce Springsteen songs at campaign rallies, or the Dove Real Beauty campaign. There's a real critique there, and turning it into advertising lets the company safely dispose of it.

On the other hand, it's a remaster of a nearly decade-old game, and it's no longer as acceptable for new games to ride roughshod over their own fiction in the same way, due in part to games Idle Thumbs hosts have worked on. So maybe the critique of the game isn't potent any more.

(You can tell I don't think much of culturejamming.)

Yeah, same feelings on it. At the same time though, I was very pleased to see the song on there, like someone at Deep Silver/Volition gave a shit enough to know the song.

On 6/7/2018 at 4:07 AM, Merus said:

I'll be honest, I'd completely forgotten about that part. Doesn't bother me though, I think the appeal of the game is so singular (the destruction) that the poor contextualisation doesn't matter. You could even read them using the song as embracing that.