Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Red Faction: Guerilla

I tried this game as a demo and it immediately grabbed me.

I've just bought the full game and it is absolutely awesome. The sheer amount of destruction in it is just too much. It makes me think of what Mercenaries 2 should have been.

The multiplayer is also pretty sweet with small but fully destructible levels, the power ups make it really enjoyable too.

The story line is, however, complete balls.

Saw the trailer on TV and it reminded me of Ghosts of Mars.

Man that film sucked balls.

Is this also coming to the PC? I played the demo on the 360. I didn't really like the fact that every hammer swing is exactly the same one. No variation in the animation whatsoever. This irked me somehow.

The demo was fun. I've kind of got enough to be getting on with right now, but I think I might get it once the price drops a little.

Man that film sucked balls.

On an unrelated topic, I do like to have my ball sucked, I should defnitely see it !

Is this also coming to the PC? I played the demo on the 360. I didn't really like the fact that every hammer swing is exactly the same one. No variation in the animation whatsoever. This irked me somehow.

If you don't mind me saying that is one of the pettiest complaints I've ever heard about a game the size that Red Faction is. Congratulations! (as a game tester that is meant as a compliment)

I'm about to downgrade myself to Normal rather than hard difficulty because the missions do get very frustrating otherwise.

ysbreker:

If the hammer swing varied, using it as a close combat / stealth kill weapon would be impaired.

@twmac, Yeah I know it's petty. But it just stood out to me somehow.

@brkl, Probably true, I guess.

Anyway, I found out that it is coming to the PC some time this year since it's in the coming soon list on steam. I think I'll give it a go then.

Not that I want to debate the hammer for much longer there is something that I wanted to mention about it that is what makes me go 'oooh'

The swings themselves (there are two, horizontal and vertical) have full collision detection and can be cancelled by things being in the way. For example I was taking a swipe at a guy but the hammer bounced off the corner of the vehicle he was standing next to.

Those are the sort of touches that made me fall in love with Far Cry 2.

Not only is the multiplayer a lot of fun but there is an offline only hot swap option called wrecking crew. Basically it is the crash time events from Burnout but you have different weapons and abilities (like being temporarily impervious and being able to charge through walls) and you have to try and demolish as much stuff as possible. There are a few different variations (every time you use an ability or fire a shot it uses up time, 1 minute limit and feel free to go ape shit). If this mode had a leaderboard system (although it would be hard to do due to the disparity of the options and weapons available) it would be an awesome XLA title all on its own.

The game has moved into a place called the 'Badlands' (reminds me of the planet missions in Mass Effect, in a good way) and the place is huge. The mini-games so far have all varied between good (transporter missions are uninspired but competent races against the clock) and superb (there are these demolition mini-games where you have a pre-defined set of weapons and ammo and you are tasked with taking down an edifice within a certain amount of time)

Eurogamer review here they actually use the line 'it's what Mercenaries 2 should have been'

PS: I just noticed there was an Earth Defence Force retrospective on there too. Appropriate as that is the name of the villains in RF:G

This game.

This is the best game.

I just played 3 hours of Wrecking Crew with three other people and I can easily say this is my favorite game so far this year. Using the Nano Rifle to chip away at support columns and load bearing walls, the hammer/rhino combo of pure, cathartic, destructive bliss, the "hot seat" pass the controller multiplayer that hearkens back to evenings turned nights turned mornings of Worms with friends...

Awesome. :yep:

Figured I should bump this as it came out on PC and the Podcast mentioned it.

I feel bad that I didn't reply to Shakesbeard's comment at the time, and yes, the wrecking crew hot seat stuff is great.

The multiplayer and single player expansions have been sensible so far and added more fun to the game. If anyone hasn't played this so far and feels like being an arsehole in space it is very much recommended.

Wow, I am genuinely concerned that I have such a completely different impression of Red Faction to everyone else on the planet. I played the demo, said "meh" and moved on.

I'll have to go back and have another look at some point.

For some reason, the Nano Rifle in this game is so entertaining. It's one of those things that makes me wish I had the PC version so I could do some console fiddling for infinite ammo or something, because I love just tearing through huge buildings using it.

In my continuing effort to be one generation behind the forums, I just picked up Red Faction for the PS2 (along with Killer7)! Pretty sweet so far, but after hearing so much about Guerilla I seem to have a serious case of Ostrich hammer envy.

Wow, I am genuinely concerned that I have such a completely different impression of Red Faction to everyone else on the planet. I played the demo, said "meh" and moved on.

The game actually seems to be reasonably polarizing. From reading around, some people give it the ol' "meh," and for some people it clicks pretty strongly.

I thought this game sounded familiar when you talked about it on the podcast. Chris Kohler of Wired had an article about how changing the difficulty to "Casual" made the game into the lunatic fun he expected it to be: "How I Learned to Stop Being Normal and Love the Sledgehammer".

What difficult level are you playing the game on, Chris?

I'm playing on Normal, which is what I play most games on.

I'm playing on Normal, which is what I play most games on.

As I recall on the Joystiq podcast, it was Ludwig Kietzman who had an opposite opinion, he found that playing it on a harder difficulty made the game much more fun because you had to plan out your attack strategy for individual goals more fully. With the difficulty set to high you have to pick your spots, stay incognito as much as possible and then when you need to, you rain holy terror down on one small section of the map before making an escape... like a real terrorist would! Not that I condone terrorism... nor excessive paraphrasing...

anyway, it's interesting that this game has many disperate opinions coming from either extreme in terms of difficulty and fun corresponding with each other!

I had the same reaction to the demo. It was kind of neat, but forgettable. The full game, however, is one of my favorites this year. The demo doesn't really give the best impression due to its closed-off nature.

I, conversely, don't feel like I need to buy the full game because I really enjoyed the demo and got all of my smash-rage out on that!

Really Gdf?

You are missing out on some great little minigame options and the online multiplayer is cracking. For a single player this fun you would have thought everything else would have been an after thought but all the other features are just as strong.

It is interesting actually how some one mentioned that Hard actually has to be played completely differently to Normal...Interesting I might have to go back and replay it like that.

Although the kind of epic stuff Chris decribed in the podcast is just so much fun. When you get the singularity bombs later in the game... Sooo good. Also the plot veers off into unpleasant in one on rails shooter mission. I won't spoil it but I felt very wrong in regards to what was happening.

The PC version is just $27 on GoGamer which is a great deal (i think the PC version even includes the recent single player expansion)

This is my GOTY so far, it dosent do anything amazingly well (even the destruction leaves a bit to be desired sometimes) but it is just fun.

Multiplayer IMO is shit, too fast and spastic.

I'm really enjoying this on the 360, but I'm so easily distracted by blowing up random EDF buildings that I've taken an absolute age to progress in the story.

I recently found a surprisingly atmospheric little touch that took my by surprise. I found myself in the badlands, driving through a pass between some cliffs and just happened to look up and see a bunch of scrap metal statues of the Star Wars type sand people of the game on both sides of the cliff.

I got out of the car and went up to examine them, they were like twice the height of a man, and in threatening poses with arms and weapons raised. Combined with the desolate and deserted nature of this section of the environment, and the background music, this was a really atmospheric moment. I just stopped and looked around taking it all in, then went back to the car and got attacked by said Sand-People.

The game was on sale for some decent percentage off last week on Steam, so I picked it up as it had been talked up on the recent 'casts. Only played a bit past the intro, but really liked what I saw. I'm pretty pumped to go back into it, but want to finish my replay of Psyhconauts and my first serious play of Fallout 3 (with Broken Steel and Point Lookout) before I get into one more game and find myself giving up on all three out of overload. Also, there's that whole "midterms" thing. Still, though it's 3 games deep in my current pile, positive first impressions and looking forward to getting that far down the stack. Anybody else go for the PC version? Does it have decent online that would be worth a go?

I guess I'm going to have to buy Red Faction the next time there's a crazy sale going on. I had absolutely no interest in the game until the Space Asshole video was posted. It looks like tons of fun to just mess around in.