Thyroid

The Last Guardian

I'm not reading those spoilers, Kroms been right a couple of times about the Last Guardian so far :D

It's really weird that a while ago I bitched in this thread about how I wanted to play this game but couldn't buy a PS3, because I was just thinking right now that this game will be the tipping point that finally gets me to bite.

I don't think it has a release date yet?

I don't think it has a release date yet?

I know. Which is perfect. I can postpone the purchase for a long time.

They were supposed to finish-up by this year, but they needed more time. I think they're pegging for early 2010 in Japan, and a little after that everywhere else.

They were supposed to finish-up by this year, but they needed more time. I think they're pegging for early 2010 in Japan, and a little after that everywhere else.

I will play it in 2012 when I get a launch PS3 for $50 at a booth at the state fair.

That particular scene seems to indicate that the game will play like Ico, but with a concentration on building platforms to walk on instead of opening the road (for example, because Toriko is heavy, you have to find a way to make sure the platform that he's going to walk on supports him). The difference in detail between the boy and the griffin suggests an angled camera point. I would totally not be surprised if there were scenes where you have to make it understand that it has to surface, or you will die clutching it under water, since it's too dumb to figure it out on its own. Hmm. There's some potential here.

It's interesting that they just focused on one little scene in the game instead of doing a traditional trailer; I think that worked quite well. I love that the creature stretches as he wakes up. I hope they'll have some original music from the game in the next trailer, even though that Miller's Crossing track is beautiful.

Go Fumito and team!

I like the developer interview, it pretty much highlights why I like Ueda so much. "there's a level of realism you can only achieve through the imaginary" Are you paying attention, other developers?

Well it's a nicely rounded sentence, but he doesn't really build on it sooooo, well, it doesn't mean a thing in my opinion.

Well it's a nicely rounded sentence, but he doesn't really build on it sooooo, well, it doesn't mean a thing in my opinion.

I think he has in the past (either that or I'm echoing something I've always believed in), and what he means is, because full, 100% reality is impossible to depict, you have to create a fantasy (regardless of how well based it is in our world) and give it its own reality, and then depict that as accurately as possible.

His "make everything seem as physically realistic as possible" indicates as much.

Man, would it not be freaking awesome/heart-wrenching if you had to navigate the bird by stabbing it with harpoons? I remember there was one colossus that you had to hit to direct; there were teeth-like structures protuding off the top of his head and you hit them, forcing the Colossus to move in that direction. It'd be pretty interesting to see an extension of that idea in Toriko with the harpoons - except here you actually have to pick them up and stab it.

Edited by Kroms

Japanese official site is up. Not much on there besides trailers and such, but there's som unbelievably high-res images (panoramas, really) and you get to hear the Toriko sniffing and scratching itself.

I Doubt I will get this, i have no particular want for a PS3, sure Uncharted, Infamous and the like are great games, the controller is a piece of crap and has given me RSI in the past it still hurts to hold one for 45 minutes or more. To add to this, I never had a PS2, thus never played any games that are still PS2 exclusive, which is not a problem to me. i do however wish that sony stuck to their guns and released the boomerang controller, instead of taking a saw to the controller and then sticking stuff to it with super glue. :frusty::tdown:

I've never heard anyone criticizing the PS2/PS3 controller before. Is it a common issue with them?

I've never heard anyone criticizing the PS2/PS3 controller before. Is it a common issue with them?

I'm not really sure, I have met one other that has been affected, the thing just doesn't fit my hands. My ligaments aren't great anyway, the way the controller is modelled doesn't give me anywhere to easily hold the controller. I hold a 360 controller differently than most, with the left hand covering it normally (two trigger fingers), then on the right I usually have my middle finger covering the triggers, index on the face, thumb on the stick, with the other 2 fingers holding the back. The GC controller was the best for me. A normal ballpoint pen causes me pain also, hence I have to use fountain pens.

That's unfortunate, but not actually anything to do with this game :gaming:

Are there any third party PS3 compatible controllers?

I have no specific issues with pain or anything, but will back Patters up on the Sony controller design being by far the most uncomfortable to use of the available options. They symmetry of the controller is just short-sighted when you try to think about how often you'll actually be using say, the left stick compared to the right. My left thumb will start to cramp up after any extended PS3 gameplay sessions, simply from having to hold it at such an awkward angle. The only game in which I've found the Sony design to be a benefit was Katamari, where it actually made sense given the symmetry of the use of the gamepad.

The best news I've heard about this game is that at the same time they're going to be rereleasing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus at the same time, neither of which I have managed to play yet.

This game is one of the few reasons why I went out and bought a PS3. The only game I own for it is Brutal Legend. And, frankly, I've been using it as a media player far more than as a gaming machine.

Why don't you get Uncharted 2? I mean, I'm the quintessential Schafer fanboy, and even I think UC2's the superior game. Objectively. I have a lot more fun kicking porcupines into a glamhog's face than going Tarzan at the trees yet again, but the point stands: Uncharted 2 is brilliant.

The best news I've heard about this game is that at the same time they're going to be rereleasing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus at the same time, neither of which I have managed to play yet.

QUESTION BOMBARDMENT GO!!!

Where did you hear this? What countries are they doing this for? Any chance of NTSC versions coming out with the added stuff the European editions of both games had?

QUESTION BOMBARDMENT GO!!!

Where did you hear this? What countries are they doing this for? Any chance of NTSC versions coming out with the added stuff the European editions of both games had?

Mainly friend-sourced scuttlebutt and rumours. A quick google has just shown me that it's not definately happening, but that Fumito Ueda said he wants it to happen. Given the way he doles out information though, we probably won't know for sure until a week before it's released.