Roderick

Tales of Monkey Island

I might be daft, but what is all this hinting at:

http://grumpygamer.com/1762780

Is there something obvious I have missed? In the comments there seem to be a lot of badly disguised hints of something monkey-related with Ron Gilbert in it ... ??

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I am assuming you know Ron Gilbert was involved with Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island, though.

I think it's more like he used that Lego pirate set as his muse when making Monkey Island, and now that it has returned to him, he hopes to continue to use it in that fashion in his future projects, including but not limited to DeathSpank.

Either that or he's hinting at Monkey Island LEGO sets. Hey, Prince of Persia is getting some...

I dont think it is a tie-in. I think LEC stuck a SMI:SE sticker or postcard onto the box, as getting Ron a lego pirate ship was probably a thank you for his participation in the SE project, appearing in their videos, etc. That's just a guess, as is my guess that people are assuming way too much in the comments of his blog. I agree with Thrik that he was referring to it as his muse, not as some more 1:1 symbol. But who knows!

What?! That has to be a joke. Why does it have the Disney logo in front of it?

it's for the film...

jaa okay. So he was involved with special edtion, and tell tales' thingie - that explains it, so no Thrik - I wasn't aware of that. Nothing to see, move along ...

I dont think it is a tie-in. I think LEC stuck a SMI:SE sticker or postcard onto the box

I did think it was a little odd to be launching a promotional LEGO set now rather than at release.

The last couple of weeks I've played through MI1, 2 and 3. What a bunch of awesome games. They really are much better than I remembered them to be, and I'm glad I took the time to refresh my memory. These games are still great fun to play, not as some nostalgia trip or game history research, but compared to whatever recent game you'd care to mention. They are well written, they have awesome puzzles, they are hilarious and they still look great. Whatever issues one would have with them compared to newer games are minor. The greatest would be full-screen resolution, but I played them all in windowed mode(using ScummVM) with the 3x filter on, and the graphics and animation still impresses me.

However, I just loaded up MI4, as I wanted to have played all the MI games before starting on TMI. But it looks and controls so horribly shit piss I just can't take it. I already played through it when it came out, so I'll just read a synopsis somewhere, say I played through it and move on the EMI.

Oh, and this taste for old-school adventure has really taken hold. I'm queuing up DOTT, BaSS and Simon the Sorceror as well (I've played through the Indy adventure games pretty regularly through the years, so those are still fresh in my mind)

However, I just loaded up MI4, as I wanted to have played all the MI games before starting on TMI. But it looks and controls so horribly shit piss I just can't take it. I already played through it when it came out, so I'll just read a synopsis somewhere, say I played through it and move on the EMI.

I decided to play through Grim Fandango again about a year or so ago. The controls felt really awful (even worse than I had remembered them to be) at first, but to my surprise I got used to them after a while and by the end of the game I barely even noticed that they were in fact shit.

So.. that may happen.

(I used a gamepad, though. I expect the keyboard controls to be much worse.)

Maybe it's the urge to play TMI talking. I'll give EMI another shot.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

After playing for a while the game crashed when I was about to save.

They get slightly better as you use them, but still remain quite shitely. On the other hand, I thought that the puzzles and dialogue were good enough to compensate for the frustration of Guybrush running in the complete opposite direction than what I specified.

I'm now running in windowed mode, using the EMI launcher, and this isn't awful. Well, visually it's awful. I was surprised at how well some of the dialogue flows, though.

I'm now running in windowed mode, using the EMI launcher, and this isn't awful. Well, visually it's awful. I was surprised at how well some of the dialogue flows, though.

Well, I wonder how you're going to feel about the last quarter of the game? (*rubs hands in anticipation*)

Well, I wonder how you're going to feel about the last quarter of the game? (*rubs hands in anticipation*)

What, the monkey kombat?

What, the monkey kombat?

That's one part of it... but, in all seriousness, I would like to know your feelings about EMI after just playing through the others.