Roderick

Tales of Monkey Island

I don't get it ... would I get a free episode or a whole free series if I preordered ?

WTF I bought Strong Bad Episode 1 with the code I got...

Sorry, I misunderstood vimes' question. You get a free episode.

Goddamit, I just ordered it because getting the meh Wallace & Gromit and possibly ok Tales of MI for 35 bucks was a very good deal. Mnah, that should teach me not to be a cheap bastard and buying stuff for the wrong reasons.:fart:

I hope my money help them upgrade their graphic engine.

I think I'm excused by the fact that I was on the internets and was angry at a game that is not yet released.

I hope my money help them upgrade their graphic engine.

I don't know if it's the engine or just uninteresting lighting... Whatever it is, it's the only thing, along with the dubious sound production, that stops TTG's games from having the same production level as the glossiest professional games.

The sound production really annoys me, especially when I noticed the spiffy-looking Wallace & Gromit has the same drunken-sounding 's' sounds in speech. There has to be a way to compress speech without this. Every other game manages it.

That said, I've bought every Telltale product so far except the second episode of Bone and that poker game. I loves me some Telltale.

Yeah, I'd also point out the sound compression as a major annoyance with their games. It's not a huge deal, since the games are really awesome, but it's really weird that these well-animated and well-voiced games manage to sound so... compressy.

Mine came back up yesterday, noticed on the twitter feed. Really looking forward to this. Just need to decide which episode to get free, I have all of sam and max, w&g on 360 and dangeresque 3.
Working here too. I do share your dilemma though. I have all of Sam & Max; can anyone recommend a single episode of the rest of the games that is worth getting out sync of a series?

I'm oddly excited about having joined the Telltale community! Is this normal? I never bought Telltale games before (though I've played Bone 1 and 2), and now that I've got this account on Telltale I'm all giddy. Monkey Island has something to do with it of course, but it's also the cool email I got in piratey writing and access to the forums with Jake posting MI wallpapers. It's pretty neat!

On-topic: I hope the sound quality of the dialogue is excellent. I noticed these problems in Bone and S&M videos, so it's not unreasonable to expect Telltale to have dealt with these things by now, is it?

Sure, it's not unreasonable and they might have, but it wasn't unreasonable to expect that to be fixed for the second run of Sam & Max, Strong Bad or Wallace & Gromit, but the problems have persisted so far.

And that Guybrush managed to escape the carnival without explanation.

Or did he???

See? Solved. Continuity is easier to deal with than one might think.

Or did he???

See? Solved. Continuity is easier to deal with than one might think.

Slap a "The End?" on that and you're done

A thought just occurred to me. Everyone who's really excited about a new "proper" MI game seems to be hating on 4. I never really understood why all the hate. Personally, I thought it was weaker than the others, but still a very fun game with a pretty good story. There were a few problems, sure, but I liked it. Hell, I've replayed it a good 4 or 5 times over the years. That said, I accept that there's a lot of hate for it. Some of it even from within the ranks here. So I'll put this question to those of you with the hate. How shall I put this?

1. Mike Stemmle was the lead on Escape From Monkey Island.

2. Mike Stemmle now works at Telltale Games.

3. According to Telltale's website, Mike Stemmle is a writer/designer on Tales of Monkey Island.

This leads me to ask: Why do you expect this one to be so much better than Escape? I'm not particularly fussed by this, (as I said, I like MI4) but those of you who hated it, why should this one be so different with the lead from that game playing a major part in the new episodes?

EDIT: Hmmm... I see Dave Grossman is the lead. Never mind...

It's a fair question, I think. So long as they can capture more of the fun atmosphere of the earlier games and not ruin the continuity again, I'd be happy.

I liked MI4 too. As a game it was great, especially the slightly darker direction it went in. Because of that it reminded me of MI2 quite a bit which is never a bad thing.

For some reason though it just didn't feel like a MI game. I haven't played it in ages so I can't really remember why... It could just be that I've built that up in my mind without even considering why. I'll whip it out again and assess

I haven't played it since it came out, so I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I remember that it didn't feel like Monkey Island to me. I seem to recall that the humour was off and the characterisation was inconsistent with the previous games. I also remember being extrememly indignant about the whole Herman Toothrot/Governor Marley thing and finding the monkey kombat intensely irritating.

I'll play it again and see how I feel it plays without the weight of expection that I had playing it the first time.

the whole Herman Toothrot/Governor Marley thing and finding the monkey kombat intensely irritating.

That's pretty much the "few problems" that I meant. Monkey Kombat was insult sword fighting without the funny, and the Toothrot bit was just weird. Aside from those though, I liked it a lot.

The attempt to tie everything together was really crappy in MI4, I felt like they were retroactively explaining things in the previous games that really didn't need explanations. Guybrush was for the first time ever a complete loser who was snubbed by everyone and the focus of everyone's derision, not someone actually on top of things who was just not believed. The touristification of the Caribbean was a lot of fun in the previous games where the Caribbean was actually a rotten hive of scum and villainy and the touristy crap was actually funny. They made it too literally touristy and killed the joke. The giant power rangers robots being the secret of monkey island, Le Chuck changing shape randomly, etc. All really weak and not well-executed plot elements.

I played the game only once, when it came out. I tried to play it again recently and couldn't get past the opening prologue bit. I was ready to give it another chance, but the little exasperated monkey facepalming to Guybrush's not understanding what was going on was just representative of what sucked about the game.