toblix

Holy Shit! Awesome E3 News!!

Honestly, I don't know why they're rushing this technology out onto the 360 when it could've been perfected and made into the main selling point of their next console.
Probably because they suspect both Nintendo and Sony are working on equivalent systems for their next consoles and they want to be first. Which is probably also the reason why they announced it today even though it's not going to be released until next year.

omg omg early Sony news

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAf6m3Ih2Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAf6m3Ih2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

To be honest, I agree with the comments about the Natal thing. Not really all that excited about it. Crackdown 2 was good news, MGS less so, having never been a fan. And really, another Halo game? Do we really need another one? I guess so...

I'm saying nothing about Beatles Rock Band*

*Except for that.

And really, another Halo game? Do we really need another one? I guess so...

Correction: another two Halo games. :tdown:

Probably because they suspect both Nintendo and Sony are working on equivalent systems for their next consoles and they want to be first. Which is probably also the reason why they announced it today even though it's not going to be released until next year.

But again, not to push the Sega CD comparison farther than the analogy will hold, but Sega was the first to the punch on a CD-based console (basically - I know TG16 did a CD add-on beforehand, but it's not like anyone was even aware of it), but because it was an add-on to the Genesis, nobody who didn't already have a Genesis was going to pick one up, and even Genesis owners were put off by the extra cost. I don't think being first to any given technology helps you if it means putting it out into the marketplace mid-generation as a peripheral.

Besides, it'll probably take years for designers to figure out how to implement the damn thing anyway. I mean look how hard of a time 3rd party Wii developers have with their control schemes, and I've got to assume the Wiimote is much, much simpler than Natal will be. By the time we're getting controls that work as naturally and reliably as that video shows, it'll probably be the next gen anyway.

I recant my previous statement. Crackdown 2 was an awesome announcement, especially after I felt so underwhelmed by the APB footage. The whole situation is so weird too, like the original dev is making the spiritual successor everyone was initially excited about (but looked like ass to me), while the splinter team comes along announcing the true sequel that now seems so much more promising. odd.

And James Camerons meltdown was more exciting than Susan Boyles.

omg omg early Sony news

:tup::)

Nadal is interesting. I was expecting that Rare might go the way of Bungie this year or next, but this gives MS quite a reason to hold on to them.

Okay, where is a clip that shows Natal being awesome? All I found was that Microsoft clip of that fag family racing, and the retarded Milo demo.

It was borderline depressing to see Molyneux back in 'What The Fuck' world again, after his brief foray into actually making sense and trying to make a proper game with Fable 2.

Also, Natal? I call shenanigans! And besides, it's clearly a reference to Satan.

And James Camerons meltdown was more exciting than Susan Boyles.
What did he do/say?

Also, Natal? I call shenanigans! And besides, it's clearly a reference to Satan.

With the L twisted into S without using a controller?

Also, why isn't Left 4 Dead 2 called "Left 2 Die"? Between Army of Two 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, I'm getting a numeral overdose.

Army of Tutu?

Army of Tutu?

Archbishop Desmond, fist-bumping his way through apartheid South Africa? Nobel Peace Prize Achievement Unlocked!

Slowly catching up with the videos from yesterday. Project Natal's video is, understandably, so stagey and contrived that I'm having a really hard time discerning what it can do, and what is just play-acting for the applause. (people are huddled very closely on a sofa and it can detect vague movements in the lap?)

Also, makes that horrendous furniture-wholesalers advertisement mistake of showing a living room that is of an insane size.

Even the living room/set they used comes across as dick swinging at Nintendo.

Natal is plausible given some of the work that's been done at universities in recent years (a PhD student has been working on video image recognition and processing just up the road from me at Nottingham Uni's Mixed Reality Lab, for instance). As indicated in the live demo where it mixed the legs up, it's probably going to be temperamental as hell in changeable lighting conditions, with anything moving around in the background, and with bystanders moving too much.

Edited by Nachimir

I'm still dancing like a maniac over Monkey Island and the new Brutal Legend footage, but I've also heard (from a somewhat reliable source) that the new Team ICO game is going to be shown, and that it is called The Last Guardian.

Should be interesting.

Correction: another two Halo games. :tdown:

Damnit at this rate I'll never finish the fight.

Whoooooooo! Crackdown 2! My personal GOTY 2007 is getting a sequel!

Yes, it was fucking good.

Sadly, however, the sequel's not going to be developed by Realtime Worlds. Microsoft dicked about for ages deciding whether or not to commission a sequel, so Dave Jones and co. moved ahead with putting APB into full-time production.

Speaking of which, has there been any APB news yet..? I'm really excited about that. :yep:

I'm also very excited that Microsoft are bringing Twitter and Last.fm to Xbox LIVE, though I couldn't care less about Facebook integration myself. Still, I like the idea of complimenting your Xbox LIVE account with your key social network identities... there's some serious potential there I think. Intriguing! :tup:

Yeah, APB was shown in the EA press conference. Not much was shown really but I like the idea behind it, though I'm trying to reign in my hopes before they get shot down by reality. I think they mentioned 100 players, open world, where you can be either criminal or "enforcer" or whatever word they used. Would be cool to have future GTA thumb sessions be APB sessions. Imagine the carnage we cause, but in an open world with other players. We can start a gang :shifty:

But I expect the end result to be somewhat less cool than that.