Marek

Monkey Island 1 special edition coming to XBLA

I love and adore the special edition, so you should definitely own a copy of it!

I hate and despise the Special Edition, but you should probably own a copy of MI...
I love and adore the special edition, so you should definitely own a copy of it!
I am in between these, but you should still buy it. Overall I like the SE but it could probably be better. When I play it, I switch between the original and new graphics. Hopefully someone will figure out how to get the voice acting in the original version, that is what I want most.

I finally got around to playing this yesterday - about 65% through at the moment.

I'm on Monkey Island.

It's a really fun, quirky game! I thought Chris, Nick, and Jake were just nostalgic, but the game holds up even today.

Switching between the old and new graphics made me sad, though. The old graphics are clearly very limited, but they're still super awesome. They have that abstract quality that allows your imagination to fill in the missing gaps.

To me, graphics in old PC games held a promise that someday, they'd actually look really awesome, like they do in my imagination. To switch back to the new graphics in Monkey Island and be like "Oh, this is all computer games turned into" makes me really sad.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I just odd?

Well I think the Monkey Island Special Edition is unforgivably awful, if that's what you mean?

Well, that too. The new graphics were definitely surprisingly inferior in some ways. I had to switch back to the old graphics several times to see that parts of the room were functional. And the artstyle was garishly cartoony compared to the old version.

But that just exacerbated the feeling that computer graphics never became quite as awesome as the old, abstract graphics of early PC games implied. Maybe there's just something special about filling in the gaps with your imagination. Something that's lost in a modern game.

Anyways - finished the game last night: totally awesome overall.