Marek

Monkey Island 1 special edition coming to XBLA

Also, voice-chat enabled online insult sword fighting DLC. "En Garde! Douché!"

With strangers on Xbox Live? Hmm :hmph:

With strangers on Xbox Live? Hmm :hmph:

But would this insult-swordfighting mini-game actually reward wit, as opposed to slurs, swears and mum-references? It could be for the greater good, educational perhaps.

I was thinking more like the players just yelling at each other until one of them disconnects. That would be totally awesome.

Hahaha :)

Rage quit swordfighting. It could animate them according to players volume, blood pressure and heart rate :tup:

His beard is back! I'm too excited! Not so excited about the remake, since I'm not exactly liking its look, but the Tales of Monkey Island stuff is going to be awesome!

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Apart from Guybrush's hair and the lacklustre character sprites) they did it RIGHT?!?!?

AND TELLTALE?!?!?!?

Colour me surprised!

Edit: Pre-ordered... Damn you Telltale, you'll suck me dry with your quality entertainment!

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Apart of Guybrush's hair and the lacklustre character sprites) they did it RIGHT?!?!?

AND TELLTALE?!?!?!?

Colour me surprised!

I didn't expect any surprises in gaming this year but FUCK and YES

Edit: Pre-ordered... Damn you Telltale, you'll suck me dry with your quality entertainment!

Yes me too!

I haven't gotten any of their soundtrack CDs so far, but if they release new ones for the Tales of series by Michael Land, I will buy each and every one like a fiend.

This may well have been the shortest period of time between hearing a game announced and getting out my wallet. Well played Telltale. Well played.

Also, I am ridiculously excited that Dominic Armato is back on voice acting. :clap:

Also, I am ridiculously excited that Dominic Armato is back on voice acting. :clap:

I have to get it because of this sentence I said earlier:

I doubt LucasArts would be putting up any money to record voices consistent with the cast from MI 3 and 4, although that would be worth my buy.

And it appears this will be an all around better remake than the Broken Sword one. Maybe it will even lead to a remake of Monkey Island 2!

I didn't even know BS had been remade...! How good/bad was it? (It got a reasonable score on Gamespot... if that means anything.)

I did not play it. Hahah, before this sounds like a some jerk on the internet complaining, I did see videos and read some forum comments... which probably makes me sound more like a jerk.

But anyways, a lot of the old animation was supplemented with new cel-shaded 3D characters because I guess Revolution did not want to do more traditional animation probably because of time and cost. So it really clashes in my opinion. Also apparently the voices recorded for the new edition are mastered at a higher sound quality and volume than the old voices, so it becomes obvious what is new and what is old.

But I mean, not to totally trash it, they added new puzzles and story parts, character close ups, (which kind of look ugly in terms of character design though), and the graphics are at a higher resolution.

Since this new Secret of Monkey Island has all of the graphics redone, no preexisting voice acting to add to, redone live music, and doesn't seem to add any puzzles, risking the chance of breaking the game, it should be top notch, even if Guybrush looks like a "Nazi" (as people are saying).

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I did not play it. Hahah, before this sounds like a some jerk on the internet complaining, I did see videos and read some forum comments... which probably makes me sound more like a jerk.

Hmmm... They should release it for the PC (with fixed audio, natch).

Ok, I've had time to watch the videos and learn more about the new Special Edition. Amazingly, these guys appear to have done a damned stellar job. The voice-acting seems spot-on, the backgrounds are absolutely faithful, the music seems sweet. Generally the type of job I would have done myself if I'd have the money to hire a boatload of talented artists and programmers to do all the work for me.

There is one small flaw, however...

fuckhead.jpg

Dear lord god almighty... No. Who is this fuckwit? Somewhere along the line somebody mixed up "guileless" with Guile. There isn't an ounce of charm within this character... He is NOT Guybrush.

Compare with the easy-going charm of Guybrush from CMI. Just looking at him can't help raise a smile...

guybrush.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

This may well have been the shortest period of time between hearing a game announced and getting out my wallet. Well played Telltale. Well played.

Same here. It probably took under a minute.

There is one small flaw, however...

fuckhead.jpg

"fuckhead.jpg" *snigger*

A lot of the characters look kind of off, especially on closeups. Very stiff and weird style. Maybe that's from farming it out to Singapore and they aren't that familiar with the original game or tone? Although it would have been nice if someone like Sonny Liew somehow art directed, since he's in Singapore and all.

I really don't care I guess, because I am very glad about the voices and music and I sort of don't want anyone to trump the original art as well. It was an incredibly smart move to give the option to play through with the original graphics.

If they just changed his head, I'd be happy. I could make do. But this is too far.

It's like the original boxart for EMI:

EMI-boxart.jpg

I guess Guybrush is a difficult character to get right... but get right you must!

these guys appear to have done a damned stellar job. however...this fuckwit is NOT Guybrush. Compare with the easy-going charm of Guybrush from CMI. Just looking at him can't help raise a smile.
You somehow managed to pretty much make the exact same post I wanted to make, but in the end was to lazy to write. You even included the most-ugly Gubybrush-picture from the LA-site and compared him to CMI-Guybrush. Well done and thank you.

I remember some scenes in CMI where Guybrush looked a little like a fuckwit (I couldn't find the one I was looking for, but this should give you an idea) as well, so I somehow hope that I'll get used to HitlerYouth-Guybrush, as there were some scenes in the making of video on the promo site, in which he looked likeable somehow.

Does anybody see a problem with them voicing all the dialogue? I'm not even questioning the quality of the voicework, but rather the whole 'written dialogue to spoken dialogue'-thing. I am a little worried, that some of the lines, which all were written without the option of a voiceover in mind (I guess), work very well when they are read and head-internally spoken by the player become unfunny when voiced and thus pre-interpreted and timed and whatnot.

If they just changed his head, I'd be happy. I could make do. But this is too far.

It's like the original boxart for EMI:

EMI-boxart.jpg

I guess Guybrush is a difficult character to get right... but get right you must!

what happened to the duck?