twmac

Darksiders: The Wrath of War

Okay, fine. I'm going to have to talk about this game.

Despite his penchant for women with insanely large boobs I've always been a fan of Joe Madureira. I honestly believe that he helped change a lot of popular western comic art with his anime meets marvel style.

Anyway he is behind Darksiders: The Wrath of War, and visually it is fucking sweet. Eurogamer have screenshots and a video that is kind of cheesy:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darksiders-wrath-of-war-may-hands-on

I was going to buy this just because I'm a fan of his art style but after reading the hands-on above I'm trying to hold back my enthusiasm (and failing). If it turns out to be a Soul Reaver/Zelda-meets-God-of-War then there is a chance that it might actually be fun to play.

Anyway, I will try not to enthuse about this anymore but I thought I'd throw this game out to the thumbers just so, you know, people are aware of it. I think thats what the internets are for

This has been on my radar since it was announced. I don't read comics (other than the odd manga) so wasn't aware of Joe Madureira's pedigree, I just think it looks like a smart game.

Cool, I'm not the only one then.

As for Joe Madureira, purely from an artisitic standing point you should look at his work on the recent 'Ultimates' series (Vol 3, and only the early episodes ) to get a feel for his art style. Ignore the story, it is shit.

Of course the link in my first post does suffice if you just want a taste for his drawings.

I first encountered him back when he worked on the Astonishing X-men (Age of apocalypse spin-off) in 1994-95. Him and Chris Bachalo were really different from the rest of the more westernised styles that were going on at the time.

He did a series called 'Battle Chasers' the artwork is pretty solid, looks a little generic by what we are used to now but at the time I was besotted with it.

Sweet link, I'm a little concerned by the dev not using many different combos while playing though.

Even so, it is great to see that the game looks as good in motion as it does in the stills.

Pretty positive stuff came in from Joystiq, but I didn't realise it wasn't due until next year... Doh!

At least with this scheduling it won't get buried under Bayonetta and God of War 3.

Yeah I read that hands on too, definitely sounds promising. I really thought it would be due this year, it seems like it's been in development for ages, but like you said THQ probably don't want to get trodden under the God of War machine.

I've been looking forward to it for a long long time. The monsters look fantastic. I liked the way War looked in the earlier versions a lot better (last E3), but the world & creature design is still tip top.

Well at least there are three other people who are enthused/optimistic about this game.

I agree on the War design, he was more demonic, less human-looking in the original screenshots. It feels like one of those niggling publisher/marketing decisions though that I'm going to let slide.

I'm going shut up about this game for the next 4-5 months and unearth this thread when there is something more concrete like a playable demo.

I know very little about this game...but I imagine it as Dante's Inferno...the good version (has anybody played the demo for D's I? Fuck that shit).

Not played Dante's Inferno but a lot of people I work with are getting excited about it. Sadly. I honestly don't know why they are bothering the God of War collection is out right now and looks better than this.

I think the marketing is getting to them.

Anyway in regards to Darksiders, I've now seen enough actual gameplay to happily say that it has a solid Soul reaver feel to it. There seems to be a ton of unlockables, varied enough weapons and the exploration seems good for all those OCD types.

And even if the Boss battles do look a little long winded, they are all rather impressive to look at so I'm willing to let it slide.

Just need to finish some of this year's games.

I honestly don't know why they are bothering the God of War collection is out right now and looks better than this.

The GOW collection is a very nice package/good value, but I've recently been playing Spartan: Total Warrior (a last-gen multiplatform game) and, so far, I think it's everything God of War and it's ilk should have been striving to be but seem to have never even thought of, so I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy God of War anymore.

Fuck yeah! I loved Spartan: Total Warrior. That game rules, it was completely overshadowed by God of War (also good in its own way) and has one of the most gratifying turret sequences. I'm not joking I actually enjoyed it.

The crowd control, counters and specials were excellent and I played it all the way to the final boss, who raped me through a hole. Man, I wish I could play that game again.

Its spiritual sequel 'Viking: Battle for Asgaard' is pretty good except for the much vaunted siege sections that start off fun but lose all the epic qualities when you realise you can't actually fail them. Overall the game was a tad easy.

Wallmart broke the street date on Darksiders and two of my friends are playing it right now. Gits.

Fuck yeah! I loved Spartan: Total Warrior. That game rules, it was completely overshadowed by God of War (also good in its own way) and has one of the most gratifying turret sequences. I'm not joking I actually enjoyed it.

The crowd control, counters and specials were excellent and I played it all the way to the final boss, who raped me through a hole. Man, I wish I could play that game again

Yes...Giant mechanical man etc...! Also: I've heard it's not compatible with xbox 360 but you could play it on a PS3, PS2, Gamecube or Wii (I'm playing on Wii). I've seen the small PS2 consoles at Gamestop for like $60, and I think it's pretty valuable to own a PS2 if you can spare the extra cash.

I wish I could but I do all my gaming through a monitor so that restricts me to X360 only right now. In fact, I cite it as the main reason I don't own a PS3 or Wii.

This just shook a few memories in my head 'TMCB' was a former incarnation before I forgot my password. Turns out I was wrong, this game vanished without a trace having been ignored by the install base and common gamer alike.

Eurogamer review is out and it is good:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darksiders-review

Metacritic has also had 13 reviews up (not that it means anything if the sources aren't good) and it is averaging in the high 80's:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/darksiderswrathofwar

Can't wait until tomorrow. I tried to cajole the Future Shop guy to sell me a copy today but he was having none of it.

I don't know what to think of this game... I'm loving it so far, but.... it's a "franken game"! Everything has been taken from another game...

It plays like Zelda, Devil May Cry and God of War, coming close to ripping them off, but it's fun...:erm:

I know most games borrow mechanics from others, but I don't know what to think about a game that borrows so much and so obviously...

Also, the demons look awesome!

Yeah I bought this day of release and even though the game wore its references on its sleeve I blitzed through the game in about 4 days, clocking in about 20 hours of play. I guess the reason I didn't post to this thread talking about it was because the game ate up all of my waking time outside of work.

Thoroughly enjoyable game as long as you can get over the fact that it doesn't do anything new at all.

I agree although none of the characters were particularly innovative they all looked really good and it definitely helped having Joe Madureira as their designer. Have you met Ulthane yet? That guy is totally awesome.

One of things that I think this game did really well is the fact that every collectible and every section was perfectly spaced. It never felt like it was going to take way too long to be worth it (unlike Crackdown).

Glad you are enjoying it. In terms of design the fourth dungeon is probably my favourite and it is worth playing until the Destroyer as he is the best of the boss battles.

Also, although heavily scripted the portal puzzles that the game throws in near the end, gold.

I loved this game until I got to the bit with the Angels and the cannon. Ugh I HATED it. It totally took the wind out of my sails. I did about 20 minutes of the next dungeon and haven't gone back yet. I think I will though because otherwise it was a cool game.

Is it me, or the boss of the portal level remind me of a Colossi? :mock:

You know what? Some may hate me for saying this, but this makes a better "Zelda game" that Spirit Tracks... :erm:

At least you get a horsie instead of a stupid train...:clap:

I was thinking the other day that if Brutal Legend had the combat system of this game i would have enjoyed it so much more. Also, Darksiders totally should have had an awesome metal soundtrack.

I don't even remember the soundtrack... And I played it a few hours ago...

I don't think they care that much about music anymore in games, the last games I played with good music you'll actually remember and hum later was Persona 4...:blink:

Also, Darksiders totally should have had an awesome metal soundtrack.

With a loud enough boombox, EVERY game can have an awesome metal soundtrack.