Jake

Idle Thumbs 28: Other People Get It

They do. ;(

"Other People Get It"

After taking a week off in silent honor of the Duke, we return. Lawsuits fly and franchises fall as they try to get you to ride around on a fake skateboard. E3's coming back. I probably have Swine Flu. Don't worry, other people get it.

Games Discussed: Team Fortress 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Plants Vs. Zombies, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Blade Runner, The Last Express, Outcast, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

I am up late and this is posted very early. I'm going to go to bed and try not to be late for work in a few hours, sit at my desk, and turn on this podcast.

The Blade Runner game is really cool, but Westwood were a bit overambitious. The game was quite obviously unfinished in certain areas. There was also on annoying reliance onlocations from the film - constantly being half an hour behind Deckard might seem cool to start with, but it just gets silly after a while. :tmeh:

Still, they nailed the atmosphere perfectly :tup:

I don't think PopCap actually spent 3 years developing it. I think it was said it was in pre-production 3 years ago but was put on the shelf for a while.

European developers are pretty good, for natural reasons, of including multiple language options in their games. I'm still amazed that, in this day and age, games are still built without any consideration for localization.

As much as I didn't like the Killzone 2 demo, I have to give them props for the localization. I played through the demo a second time in Polish (one of about 8 or language options). And it wasn't subtitled, all the action was dubbed. It was pretty insane. Wish more devs did that, though I understand the added costs.

Edited by n0wak

If you hate Heroes, yet watch it, does that deem as a guilty pleasure? :yep:

The intermissions and "games" edits were pretty funny. Not much else to say on the episode, except Plants vs Zombies is some of the most satisfaction I've had in a game and I'm at 5-7 now.

Plants vs. Zombies were fun for a week for me, but after completing most of the mini-games and stuff, it's not that fun to play them again.

Hi everypeople, long time listener - first time poster.

I dug up that Idle Thumbs E3 2005 video you were talking about and i must say that was damn entertaining, especially the introduction set to some sweet 80s grooves.

Any chance of getting back together for another one from this years E3?

P.S. Awesome casting of pods.

We talk about attempting video again pretty often, but it's a lot of work to do right (as evidenced by us not doing it right the first time). Hopefully someday.

Bonus also fact, "Far From Over" is used as the theme to the occasional UK Thumbcast, so there's that.

We talk about attempting video again pretty often, but it's a lot of work to do right (as evidenced by us not doing it right the first time). Hopefully someday.

Thing is, if you go video, you'll have either to make a shitty compression or shrink the lengh cause you can't make a 1Gig episode each week :)

Okay, now I REALLY want to buy Last Express as iv never played, been looking all morning on where I can find this in Australia buy cant find, any ideas?

I wish GOG had it :(

Regarding the Prince's colonialism-tinged accent, I just thought that it was because American voice actors fall back on a British accent for anything ambiguously foreign that's not a full-out offensive ethnic stereotype. :grin:

Thanks for mentioning Jordan Mechner's blog. The journals are fascinating. Holy crap, the man coded it in Assembly. :worship:

Remo got name-dropped in a recent post of his, by the way.

Been re-listening to old casts while holed up in the projection booth at work. This time around, I noticed Nick's request for a game that was made in black and white as a stylistic choice, and I remembered a UT2003 mod I played a while back that I thought was really interesting. Just dug it up. It's called Hollow Moon. All of it was done in greyscale and it had no sound effects, as there's no atmosphere to carry the sound. On of the more interesting hours I spent with a game that year.

A sample:

HollowMoonTwo.jpg

On a related note, there was a mod for Max Payne 2 a few years back that I played (and enjoyed quite a bit) which was all in black and white. It almost had a cel-shaded look to it, but it was because the texturing was pure white except everything had a black outline. It was very well done and I can't find anything about it online anymore for the life of me. Maybe I'll go through my old mods folders and search for it.