Yes, it was touché; but I was not unaware of the resemblance to Douche. That was my incredibly obscure joke.

I still haven't played Th1ef, T2eif or Th3if... I know I should get around to them one day.

Yes, you should. And that day is today.

You can conveniently acquire Thi3af on Steam. Like I have a few weeks ago. The first Thief game, if you can get it to run, is also surprisingly playable.

You can conveniently acquire Thi3af on Steam. Like I have a few weeks ago. The first Thief game, if you can get it to run, is also surprisingly playable.

Yeah, requires about 3 different patches, tough. I just started playing again a couple of days ago, it's still awesome!

Also Deadly Shadows is currently free if you're signed up to GameTap (along with other awesome games like Psychonauts and Hitman Blood Money).

What's the best in the series? I demand a quick reference point on which to base my entire perception of the franchise on, preferably a cheap one at that.

3 is the easiest to get to run, it and 1 are pretty great, but I never played 2.

I would say 2 is the best one. But 3 has one of the most awesome horror levels ever made: Shalebridge Cradle.

I've often wondered why the people marketing the film Seven stopped at one numeral:

2m2usuo.gif

(Excuse the sub-optimal typeface choice -- I'm at work.)

Or maybe it's a new word you made up "Douché" to someone who just made another human being apear as a douchebag...

It may be made up, but it's not new: a friend of took to using "touché ... douché" a few years back, because we thought it was very funny, because we are dumb.

3 has one of the most awesome horror levels ever made: Shalebridge Cradle.

Indeed, Shalebridge Cradle is an incredible level. The one alone is worth playing it for.

It's a massive pity that in the final level,

the old crone it builds up so well as antagonist throughout the game

turns into yet another great big fireball hurling monster

:tdown:

Edited by Nachimir
tmeh not harsh enough

Man, Thief Gold is huge. I remembered as if I had gotten almost to the end when I played it, but I think I never got past The Sword, which is about 1/3 through. At least I don't remember playing any of the ones after that. Some of the missions have really large maps.

I'm in the Lost City now, been playing about one mission every night.

Sometimes it's fun how your play style is forced to change if you bring the wrong equipment: I usually try to just avoid guards, but in the Thieves Guild level I brought way too little water arrows so I ended up knocking everyone out instead of making it dark. 67 knockouts.

It may be made up, but it's not new: a friend of took to using "touché ... douché" a few years back, because we thought it was very funny, because we are dumb.

Alex and I use a whole scale of these, douché is used when someone makes a terrible comeback, touché for an acceptable comeback.

The scale goes up from there with suché (from David Suchet aka Poirot) and zouché (from Ashby de la Zouche).

Miniature Kamikaze Frog-Dinosaurs. What the hell?

[edit] oh wait, those were in Thief II too. I had forgotten.

Ok, so I am playing through Thief 3 and I am somewhere just past the Shalebridge Cradle level (which was pretty terrifying and all around :tup:, but felt like a completely different game) and I am getting bored of lurking in shadows and having to go all the way across town to the next level (last couple of levels I've been running through town throwing flash grenades rather than properly hiding in shadows), etc. Should I persevere and finish this thing or just abort? In all honesty, the game hasn't been mixing it up for me. By and large every level I get to do the same thing in damn near identical environments.

I had just come off Hitman: Blood Money and was expecting a similar sort of romp through crazy-varied scenarios and am somewhat disappointed by the large droning expanse of Thief 3. :yawn: Should I bother getting Thief 2 to run perhaps? Is there a Blood-Money-with-stealing-things-rather-than-killing-people game for me out there somewhere?

Alex and I use a whole scale of these, douché is used when someone makes a terrible comeback, touché for an acceptable comeback.

The scale goes up from there with suché (from David Suchet aka Poirot) and zouché (from Ashby de la Zouche).

Zwong

I am somewhere just past the Shalebridge Cradle level [...] Should I persevere and finish this thing or just abort? In all honesty, the game hasn't been mixing it up for me. By and large every level I get to do the same thing in damn near identical environments.

You're definitely past the best of it now, and it gets more awful at the end. If you don't care how it ends, I'd advise aborting and perhaps reading these spoilers. Here's the end as I remember it:

The crone has some kind of plot to make a giant glyph over the entire city that (IIRC) will end the world. It's like "Thief: Written by Michael Bay"

The crone also turns into a big, dodgy, asymmetric mutant that casts fireballs. You never get to see or confront her as the crone, just sneak past a giant monster. She also completely fucks up NPC pathfinding and AI in the city sections, which seemed kind of sad and pathetic to me at the time. Watching NPCs get stuck on geometry and repeat panic voice samples over and over :/

After offing the crone, the final cutscene shows Garrett on a rooftop in the city. Someone with similar abilities sneaks up on him, and as he catches the figure it turns out to be a teenage girl. Thi4f? Meh. It also has a really wank piece of music tacked on the very end. Like it was made out of focus groups commanding session musicians to find the best compromise or something.

I only played Thief 2 before this and it seemed to have quite an interesting world. I thought Thief 3 just dumbly telegraphed "HAY GUYS LOOK A FACTION SYSTEM HIPPIES AND TECHNOCRATS DONT LIKE EACH OTHER".

Is it me or does almost everyone ignore "Deadly Shadows" and just call it Thief 3?

I had just come off Hitman: Blood Money and was expecting a similar sort of romp through crazy-varied scenarios and am somewhat disappointed by the large droning expanse of Thief 3. :yawn: Should I bother getting Thief 2 to run perhaps? Is there a Blood-Money-with-stealing-things-rather-than-killing-people game for me out there somewhere?

I don't remember that well how it was compared with Thief 3. There's some rooftop action (which Thief 1 didn't have at all), some missions have lots of machines, and at least one woodsie mission. Several missions are just looting some manor as I remember. I don't think the Thief series even allows for as much variance as Hitman, though.

I just finished Thief Gold and I'll probably start Thief 2 now so in a couple of weeks or so I can comment more on this.

[€dit] you may want to look at the Missions Overview in Wikipedia but it probably contains spoilers

Sort of reminds me of how a lext stays readable even if the letters are moved around, as long as the first and last letter don't move.

...only now we're replacing letters with random numbers.

Yet, it somehow stays readable.

Thank you very much!

Been a while since I laughed that loud.

I don't think the Thief series even allows for as much variance as Hitman, though.

The series maybe not, but the mechanic and the premise (you a thief, you steal neat shit, you hide in shadows) are worthy of a more Hitmany treatment. Combine the shadow lurking and thievery of Thief, with the rad varied locales and the disguise mechanic of Hitman, and if you wanna make it open world GTA-style, set the game in occupied Paris of 1942 and I am sold.